Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: New Vinyl Store?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:52 pm 

naimkid wrote:
I have bought some albums from Sunrise Records, some of the records are really high priced, almost close to $50.00 plus heart by pass.

I am writing to find out if there is another source of buying new vinyl, who have better and competitive prices.

BTW, I have been told by the cashier at SR that they are going to open Eighty ( 80 ) new stores across Canada.

I used to enjoy Sunrise a few years ago. But then they closed a bunch of their stores and now since taking over some of the HMVs whenever I go in I am absolutely stupefied at their vinyl pricing. Just buy on Amazon instead.

For browsing brick and mortar stores in Toronto Rotate This and Sonic Boom probably have the best selection in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:10 pm 

ripblade wrote:
What was the quality of the vinyl....the label? A MOFI Lp was around $25 by the end of the'70s, a CBS Half Speed Master was $20.

I seem to recall a huge increase in the price of vinyl was announced by the labels last year some time, especially US vinyl. $50 is not a bad deal if the quality is there, but so much these days is barely passable at any price.

I was buying Chesky and Sheffield LPs in the 90s for around $30. I remember Chesky shipping me some Lps and saying in the future I had to buy from the Cdn distributor - their list was over $40.

The exchange rate may have something to do with prices - the 90s was a low value time for the Cdn $. I remember taking my son to Disneyland in '01 and the Cnd $ was 0.68

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:27 pm 

Energyguy999 wrote:
ripblade wrote:
What was the quality of the vinyl....the label? A MOFI Lp was around $25 by the end of the'70s, a CBS Half Speed Master was $20.

I seem to recall a huge increase in the price of vinyl was announced by the labels last year some time, especially US vinyl. $50 is not a bad deal if the quality is there, but so much these days is barely passable at any price.

A big +1

I dropped $350 at Sonic in Toronto in a bout of retail therapy...bought 9 albums...7 of them are shite. It is so disheartening...starting to ruin the hobby really. Many of the records I bought were from The Tragically Hip. The original CD's sound very good...figured the vinyl would sound better...but they've been remastered...badly. Why is the sound of a snare drum so offensive to the younger generation? Remastered for earbuds shite. :? Well the labels won and got some of my money...not again. I have to tap out. Similar reason I stopped buying CD's...the brick walling got unbearable. To the OP, do yourself a favour and don't waste your money on records, unless the pressing is AAA+

That's disappointing. I bought a trio of these reissues in a pre-order from the band's website. Opened one but haven't listened to it yet (not a big Hips fan). I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'll listen to the one and sell the other 2 still sealed in a couple years when the value climbs. :(

Back on subject, I ordered a copy of the RSD release of Jaco Pastorius live NPR recording called Truth, Liberty & Soul from Juno Records in Britain. Price with shipping was competitive and the box arrived in a week.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:24 am 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-vinyls ... 1500721202