Post subject: Re: New Vinyl Store?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:51 pm 
Premium User

Bumpy wrote:
natalie wrote:
Tonality Records
2168 Dundas Street West
Toronto

Not likely that most CAMers would appreciate that fare.

I do. And scanning his Discogs page, he has competitive pricing on some new vinyl.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:42 pm 

I just returned from Sonic Boom, on Spadina Avenue, very little used, but tons of new albums.

Prices, seemed sort of same to me, I would recommend it only for large variety.

Bought few albums including Tom Petty (Full Moon Fever and Southern Accent) and Fleetwood Mac (Tusk).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:23 am 

Bumpy assumes most CAM members would not like Tonality Records.
I do not know what other CAM members like since CAM goes nationwide and do not know any of them personally.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:35 am 

I've met my share, and find that tastes are fairly conservative.

I just wanted to mention that Tonality is targeting a highly specialized market ( From their web page ):

"Tonality Records specializes in small-run indie and hard to find vinyl. Arranged by label rather than artist or genre, Tonality's layout makes for a new way to discover incredible unheard sounds.

We stock a variety of indie titles from all genres in runs as small as 20-30, with a large portion on incredible and intricate coloured vinyl featuring hand-made artwork, unusual vinyl innovations and all-around awesomeness."

I doubt you'll find a re-issue of Thriller there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:22 pm 
Premium User

Bumpy wrote:

I just wanted to mention that Tonality is targeting a highly specialized market ( From their web page ):

"Tonality Records specializes in small-run indie and hard to find vinyl. Arranged by label rather than artist or genre, Tonality's layout makes for a new way to discover incredible unheard sounds.

We stock a variety of indie titles from all genres in runs as small as 20-30, with a large portion on incredible and intricate coloured vinyl featuring hand-made artwork, unusual vinyl innovations and all-around awesomeness."

You have to admit though, you are being a bit presumptuous. Not every CAM'er is a Beatles fan or aspires to own every version ever made of Abraxas.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:44 pm 

I Found Sonic Boom prices are very high .

Diamond groove has best prices for Analogue productions releases and other vinyl as well .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:38 am 

Tangram wrote:
Bumpy wrote:

You have to admit though, you are being a bit presumptuous. Not every CAM'er is a Beatles fan or aspires to own every version ever made of Abraxas.

There are very few that want what Tonality has to offer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:04 am 

I like smaller, specialized, well curated places like Tonality. They also offer cassettes and vintage gear as well.

Nearby LP's LPS and She Said Boom make for a worthwhile browsing session.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:13 am 

Tangram wrote:
Bumpy wrote:

Plus 1. I like a wide variety of music, including Ska, reggae, and some really obtuse indy stuff. Please do not lump us into some homogeneous bunch of middle-of-the-roaders. I am married; I already have somebody making assumptions about me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:41 am 

Try Funky Moose Records online from northern Saskatchewan..
It doesn't take much to get to free shipping.
They are fairly new but increasingly wider range.
Descent prices on accessories etc to.

Not affiliated, just a customer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 am 

ripblade wrote:
What was the quality of the vinyl....the label? A MOFI Lp was around $25 by the end of the'70s, a CBS Half Speed Master was $20.

I seem to recall a huge increase in the price of vinyl was announced by the labels last year some time, especially US vinyl. $50 is not a bad deal if the quality is there, but so much these days is barely passable at any price.

A big +1

I dropped $350 at Sonic in Toronto in a bout of retail therapy...bought 9 albums...7 of them are shite. It is so disheartening...starting to ruin the hobby really. Many of the records I bought were from The Tragically Hip. The original CD's sound very good...figured the vinyl would sound better...but they've been remastered...badly. Why is the sound of a snare drum so offensive to the younger generation? Remastered for earbuds shite. :? Well the labels won and got some of my money...not again. I have to tap out. Similar reason I stopped buying CD's...the brick walling got unbearable. To the OP, do yourself a favour and don't waste your money on records, unless the pressing is AAA+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:03 pm 

brownslane wrote:
Tangram wrote:
Bumpy wrote:

Plus 1. I like a wide variety of music, including Ska, reggae, and some really obtuse indy stuff. Please do not lump us into some homogeneous bunch of middle-of-the-roaders. I am married; I already have somebody making assumptions about me.

You'd be surprised at how few of your type I've met through CAM. Moreover, Tonality is more obtuse than you could imagine.

My comment was meant to be a warning about the contents of the store. Feel free to take it as a recommendation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:16 pm 

Check out Blackbird records in Edmonton they have great selection and they ship.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:33 pm 

Sonic Boom is the biggest in the GTA AFAIK. Therefore, you will most likely find the biggest selection.

I have been going there almost weekly since the beginning of this year and have grown my old modest collection by probably 3 1/2 cartons so far.

From my experience:

-You will never find any used records available from certain artists where they have a large selection of new. Example: Pink Floyd, Bowie, Beatles, Dylan etc. This is a bit of a frustration considering many of these titles went platinum and there are tons of copies out there. Just not for sale alongside new at many retailers.

-I will usually buy 20+ titles per visit, some CD's and mostly LP's. I won't pay more than maybe $6-$7 for most titles, and will buy ones I am unsure of if they are cheap ($2-3). This way I get to enjoy more obscure titles from the likes of Mendelson Joe and others. I will occasionally overpay for a used title I want and don't expect to see again any time soon. For example CCR.

-Always buy VG rating for used as they typically won't have a lot of scratches. I purchased a VPI cleaning machine and most disks clean up extremely well. They only spray and wipe with a microfibre if a record is really dirty. They do not have a cleaning machine.

-Often it appears as if they received a bunch of copies of titles from one artist at one time. Often then the price is low and even though you might not want 4 LP's from Brian Ferry or Burton Cummings they might be worth having for a few bucks each.

-I will only buy new if I cannot find a title used.

After cleaning, I will put the disk in a new opaque inner sleeve, also available at SB.

There are smaller stores on Queen that are WAY more expensive than Sonic Boom. I'd never buy an armload from them.