Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:25 am 

In the Halifax Regional Municipality, most theatres, IMAX being the exception, have very bad sounds systems, and very loud, while the pictures are average at best. THX is a thing of the past. Their foods are overpriced, and their pop are all watered down. Forget about buttered popcorn, they use plastic instead, (margarine) much better profit I guess... Last but not least, all theatres are extremely dirty, and who knows what bugs or diseases lurks in those sofa chairs.

Stay home, better picture, much better sound, cleaner environment, and save big time. Also, you can pause, and get yourself a beer, or tea if you like...

Last edited by moinau on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:05 am 

Recall Guardians of the Galaxy was way too loud. Even the movie review in the Globe mentioned the volume. Rogue One was the next movie I saw that was way too loud. Dance club loud - too old for that sh*t now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:17 am 

I used to love going to the cinema as well. Found it to be a treat, and sound quality that could punch you in the gut.

But, honestly, it seems lately whenever I've gone to a movie, I also feel it sounds too congested and also so much high freq that my ears feel like bleeding. And it seems they have amp up louder than it should be, or too much gain causing graininess. Now, it isn't ALWAYS like that. But, I've experienced it, and wondered... Why would they have people sit through this?

Honestly, I think Netflix on my Sony 50" TV in 2 channel with my Tannoys sounds better. Cleaner, for sure. And you don't have to crank it. I, personally, just think they don't calibrate it often enough. I mean, every movie is going to be different at that stage in its presentation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:07 pm 

Wife and I just saw Wonder Woman, not at the Imax, just one of the regular screens. Thought the picture quality was dull, but the sound was okay. By okay I mean I could understand the dialogue but the action scenes left me wanting to go back to my sons home theatre setup.

But perhaps I was just disgruntled by the pre show. Never ending commercials, seriously, must of been over a dozen in a row. Finally the trailers came on...but they left the lights on for them which completely killed the enjoyment.

Twenty two dollars for pop and popcorn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:44 pm 

alladione wrote:
I also agree - I recently made a comment to the theater manager about the poor sound quality - he appeared to be deaf with regard to my comments, saying no one else complains. seem folks are just so apathetic - it's a shame -and there are trying to get more folks into the theaters, lower quality all around

plus it's not even real butter on the popcorn and the coke seems watered down. all in the name of profit. -

THX !!!!

cheers

Those are the ones using sound bars.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:14 am 

Poor sound at the movies coupled with poor movies at the movies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:17 am 

rgk5 wrote:
alladione wrote:
I also agree - I recently made a comment to the theater manager about the poor sound quality - he appeared to be deaf with regard to my comments, saying no one else complains. seem folks are just so apathetic - it's a shame -and there are trying to get more folks into the theaters, lower quality all around

plus it's not even real butter on the popcorn and the coke seems watered down. all in the name of profit. -

THX !!!!

cheers

Those are the ones using sound bars.

:shock: Soundbars! Are you serious?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:34 am 

[quote="moinau"]. Forget about buttered popcorn, they use plastic instead, (margarine) much better profit I guess... .

Ah, yes........popcorn with "Golden Topping"......one molecule away from being plastic.

YECH!

del Sol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:56 am 

It's not the crappy movies and endless remakes.
It's not the bad sound.
It's not the crappy food.
It's not the high prices.
It's not the people yapping behind you.
It's not the commercials and trailers.
It's not the lineups.
It's not the lack of beer.
It's not the uncomfortable seats.
It's not due to having to breath your neighbour's Axe all night.
It's not the 1970's business model.

The reason why the industry is going the way of the Sears is solely due to piracy. Just ask them. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:39 am 

Since building a decent home theater, I nearly never go to the movies.

Given I am middle aged and married, I am likely the last demographic expected to spend $ there anyway.

I expect my teenage daughters will begin going to every movie every summer and that is the demo that makes $ for the theaters.

I would far rather stay home.

Last movie I saw in a theater was Rogue One. It was a fun experience because the entire family went.

Mark in Burlington