Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Poor sound at the movies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:06 pm 

I went to see a movie the other night with my sons. I could not believe how poor the sound was, unnecessarily loud and CONGESTED.

Do they have to crank it up so loud? I think THX was a lot better, at least they had certain standards regarding picture and sound.

What do you all think of sound at the movies?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:17 pm 

IMAX only for me. Or my ears bleed...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:18 pm 

I agree, I go to very few movies but the last one was Guardians of the Galaxy and I thought the same thing. I even mentioned to my wife that I thought the sound of blu rays at home was a lot better. I am not sure if it was the software or the hardware but there was way too much high end and the bottom end was weak. Also as you had mentioned it was really congested, but that could be because they try too have too much going on at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:39 pm 

I also agree - I recently made a comment to the theater manager about the poor sound quality - he appeared to be deaf with regard to my comments, saying no one else complains. seem folks are just so apathetic - it's a shame -and there are trying to get more folks into the theaters, lower quality all around

plus it's not even real butter on the popcorn and the coke seems watered down. all in the name of profit. -

THX !!!!

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:27 pm 

Quality of the sound and picture varies quite a bit in my experience. Volume needs to be high in most movie theatres, because people keep talking during the picture. I have lost count of the number of times I have turned around and asked someone to "please be quiet". Never happened when I was a kid!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:25 pm 

Projection & sound has never been better in the cinema. Constantly impressed, regardless of what flick I see. From city to city, country to country, the standards are at the highest they have ever been. Trust me, it used to be my industry.
8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 pm 
Premium User

alladione wrote:
I also agree - I recently made a comment to the theater manager about the poor sound quality - he appeared to be deaf with regard to my comments, saying no one else complains. seem folks are just so apathetic - it's a shame -and there are trying to get more folks into the theaters, lower quality all around

plus it's not even real butter on the popcorn and the coke seems watered down. all in the name of profit. -

THX !!!!

cheers

Cineplex AVX Ultra is the way to go.

And yes, the butter is real. It's behind the counter and you have to ask for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:56 pm 

Went to the free listening session at the theatre for the new surround mix of Sgt Pepper a few weeks ago, left after three songs, the system in the theatre couldn't do it justice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:23 am 

Here's an article from David Susilo on the poor quality of cinemas in Canada.

https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHeadl ... ymore.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:41 am 

Quote:
Projection & sound has never been better in the cinema.

While I agree that the potential is there, I'm pretty sure that not all cinemas in Canada reach for high standards. For example, I have been in IMAX theatres that are phenomenal, as well as the old movie palaces that used to be in Toronto. They were uniformly very good. I have also been in some cinemas, where in spite of paying a premium, the results were average at best. I also recall a couple of movie theatres in small towns where the owner went to Radio Shack to get his loudspeakers, which was touted as a "new & improved" sound system. :roll:

Basically, I know the cinemas in my area that are OK and which ones are "poor". Even so, I can be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:06 am 

I can't remember the last time I went to a theater to see a movie and didn't think to myself within the first 5 minutes "I can't wait to see this movie at home on my system". 7.2.4 atmos/dtsx.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:25 am 

Industrial /commercial THX is under stick licenses and every year renewal for keeping up to date sound systems and cinema theaters HVC and acoustics.

Heating and air conditioning has to be a very quiet to keep up to THX regulation, that means for cinema operator lots of $$
that doesn't always translate to revenues because of THX ...

Somehow this norm and certification for THX was abandon by most having it here in Montreal anyway...

Agree IMAX is the thing, with a four stories high super definition screen maybe this is a way to have it ?

http://www.thx.com/certification/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:22 am 

Last movie I
saw was a documentary in Toronto
The Theatre was Hot Docs Bloor Cinema.
Sound was good,Both spoken word and music.
I still remember "Apocalypse Now"
1979 Dolby Surround Sound before Home Theatre.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:05 am 

rig4365 wrote:
Here's an article from David Susilo on the poor quality of cinemas in Canada.

https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHeadl ... ymore.html

I read it. He made some valid points but neglected to mention his sunk costs into equipment, installation etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:08 am 

In Winnipeg, not all rooms are on the same level but certainly the IMAX room at Polo Park and the Ultra AVX (Atmos) room at St. Vital offer exceptional sound. Personally prefer the Atmos room at St. V as I find it more detailed. The scene in the forest when it's raining in the Revanent was stunning, it sounded so real, I expected to look down at the floor and see puddles of pooling water. The IMAX room in Winnipeg might just be a tad too loud, almost feel as though I should be wearing earplugs like when I go see a gig at a bar but the quality is not lacking.