Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Anyone speak Ikea?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:27 am 

I bought my Billy bookcases used on Kijiji aready assembled an in good shape - $30 each.

I drive a Toyota Sienna so all 6 units slid into the back in one go. Since LPs stick out about 1.5", I have tied them together with bolts. They do not move at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 am 

I have a number of the EXPEDIT models in use - 1 x 5 x 5, 2 x 4 x 4, 1 x 4 x 2 and 1 x 2 x 2 and absolutely love them. Be sure to follow the instructions and anchor the unit to the wall if possible. The KALAX are pretty well the same although KALAX did not produce all the accessories available for the expedit. In particular the glass door and glass shelf. I would like to get a few more but they dont seem to be available

Any suggestions would be approeciated

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:02 am 

Billy book shelf wish I had purchased two they stoppped making the one I have. T

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:37 pm 

najibs wrote:
Alzan wrote:
I found a very similar, yet sturdier product at WallMart of all places. They come in 2x2 and 2x4 units in two finishes, black and dark walnut. You still have to block off the back for lp storage like IKEA ones! Price was about the same as IKEA!

Name? Pics?

Yes. Please. You can find the darndest things at Wallyworld. If it means not having to frig with IKEA, that sounds like a real bonus.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:25 am 

Che Cavolo wrote:
I have the prior expidit. Never turn them on their side. I tacked and glued in a little half by half inch track along the back edge to keep the LP edges at the front. I also glued in quarter inch plywood supports in the middle of each section, only about half the depth. They're invisble from the front, just the width of a couple LP's, they add some additional weight support. But I'm a little OCD,,,, :lol:
Che, great tip regarding the strip to keep the LP's from being pushed back into the opening! I'm going to do that on all 4 of our Kallex units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:39 am 

I store most of my records in one room, and keep the ones I want to hand in the other. Most of the collection is therefore in the back room, on IKEA Ivar shelving.

I chose Ivar because it is solid wood. The racks will slump sideways if you don't use the Ivar cross-brace, but who would do that, or admit to it ? Since you do use the brace ( of course you do ), the shelves are very strong, strong enough to hold four rows of LPs.

Ivar can be finished nicely, with a stain if you want.

I have seen an IKEA Billy shelf break, dump a hundred LPs on the floor and drag another shelf full with it. Of course Billy shelves are made of presswood. If I wanted Billy I would only use the half-length model. Kallax looks as though it supports the weight better, but presswood is heavy to transport. Ivar is not so heavy.

This has been a public service post in favour of Ivar, so that it continues to sell and IKEA doesn't discontinue it ( in case I want more ).