Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anyone speak Ikea?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:15 pm 

I'm looking for a new LP storage solution. Bricks and melamine boards just aren't doing it for me any more. It's my understanding that IKEA makes something ideal for this purpose. I believe it's called Kallax? Anyone have any experience with this, or can offer up any other ideas? Any and all input is welcome, unless it's silly or rude.

Post subject: Re: Anyone speak Ikea?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:33 pm 
Premium User

There are a few threads on here about the Kallax and its many variations, both good and bad. From memory, there are versions to ba avoided while others are highly prized, so a bit of research and knowing how old it is is in order before buying.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:33 pm 

Yes
Kallax is the way to go.
I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:33 pm 

I use a double sided Besta Unit that works very well as the shelves are adjustable - double sided is no longer made though I believe. The Kallax is a popular option as well but make sure to load it properly - by that I mean the weight needs to be on the rectangular shelves not on the square dividers. The square dividers are only held up by the dowel pegs and not as strong as when the shelves sit supported on the dividers. To increase its rigidity some have tacked on a thin sheet of plywood etc to the back to keep things square as well. There have been some colossal failures when loaded incorrectly - do a search for Ikea record shelf failures and you can see how to not load it.
jp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:50 pm 

I too have a Best unit. They come with clips to join each piece together so you can add more units as needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 pm 

J. P. wrote:
I use a double sided Besta Unit that works very well as the shelves are adjustable - double sided is no longer made though I believe. The Kallax is a popular option as well but make sure to load it properly - by that I mean the weight needs to be on the rectangular shelves not on the square dividers. The square dividers are only held up by the dowel pegs and not as strong as when the shelves sit supported on the dividers. To increase its rigidity some have tacked on a thin sheet of plywood etc to the back to keep things square as well. There have been some colossal failures when loaded incorrectly - do a search for Ikea record shelf failures and you can see how to not load it.
jp

So basically don't set it up sideways. Good advice. It doesn't take much imagination to visualize the disaster which would result--the whole works coming down like the Twin Towers no doubt. Vintage Blue Notes scattered about, all torn up and scratched. Definitely to be avoided.

Thanks to all who've weighed in with info--and warnings. Think I'll have to search me out some Kallax info, and most likely, some Kallax. Anybody know if they ship cheap? Or even free? I loves me some free shipping!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 pm 

One piece of advice is to glue Ikea furniture together instead of just using the dowels and screws. It makes the furniture might more easy to move reliably and robust.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 pm 

msommers wrote:
One piece of advice is to glue Ikea furniture together instead of just using the dowels and screws. It makes the furniture might more easy to move reliably and robust.

Sounds like a fine idea. That and J.P.'s plywood backing. Thanks for both.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:39 pm 
Premium User

dc23 wrote:
J. P. wrote:
jp

So basically don't set it up sideways. Good advice. It doesn't take much imagination to visualize the disaster which would result--the whole works coming down like the Twin Towers no doubt. Vintage Blue Notes scattered about, all torn up and scratched. Definitely to be avoided.

Thanks to all who've weighed in with info--and warnings. Think I'll have to search me out some Kallax info, and most likely, some Kallax. Anybody know if they ship cheap? Or even free? I loves me some free shipping!

IKEA shipping is definitely NOT free. For starters, there is a $20 flat rate fee for them picking your order out of the warehouse, then add onto that a FedEx or trucking shipping fee + taxes on both applied to all orders. And, as the Kallax is fairly heavy, and shipping cost vary be weight, be prepared for the worst. A $160 4X4 unit comes in 2 boxes, one 53 pounds, the other 76 pounds.

You CAN get an estimate by ordering it on-line and putting it in your shopping cart but not completing the purchase at the last minute. You can also order it on-line and pick it up in Whitby or Ottawa.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:56 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
dc23 wrote:
J. P. wrote:
jp

IKEA shipping is definitely NOT free. For starters, there is a $20 flat rate fee for them picking your order out of the warehouse, then add onto that a FedEx or trucking shipping fee + taxes on both applied to all orders. And, as the Kallax is fairly heavy, and shipping cost vary be weight, be prepared for the worst. A $160 4X4 unit comes in 2 boxes, one 53 pounds, the other 76 pounds.

You CAN get an estimate by ordering it on-line and putting it in your shopping cart but not completing the purchase at the last minute. You can also order it on-line and pick it up in Whitby or Ottawa.

Yikes! The Great and Powerful OBI weighs in with some sobering info. I think I see a road trip in my future. Think it'll fit in a Corolla?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 pm 

I have the prior expidit. Never turn them on their side. I tacked and glued in a little half by half inch track along the back edge to keep the LP edges at the front. I also glued in quarter inch plywood supports in the middle of each section, only about half the depth. They're invisble from the front, just the width of a couple LP's, they add some additional weight support. But I'm a little OCD,,,, :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 pm 
Premium User

dc23 wrote:
Yikes! The Great and Powerful OBI weighs in with some sobering info. I think I see a road trip in my future. Think it'll fit in a Corolla?

I tried ordering a LACK shelving unit on-line from IKEA ONCE, and the price for local shipping was almost as much as the LACK itself, so lesson learned. My daughter was going to IKEA the next week to buy a bunch of stuff for her day camp so I went with her and she rented a truck from Budget for less that 1/3 the price of IKEA shipping, so I picked up a bunch of stuff myself and we split the rental van cost. In a Corolla, it would depend on if your back seat folds down to accomodate the length of the boxes (those are listed on the web site for each item).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:03 am 

I found a very similar, yet sturdier product at WallMart of all places. They come in 2x2 and 2x4 units in two finishes, black and dark walnut. You still have to block off the back for lp storage like IKEA ones! Price was about the same as IKEA!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:43 am 
Premium User

Alzan wrote:
I found a very similar, yet sturdier product at WallMart of all places. They come in 2x2 and 2x4 units in two finishes, black and dark walnut. You still have to block off the back for lp storage like IKEA ones! Price was about the same as IKEA!

Name? Pics?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:39 am 

msommers wrote:

+1. I installed the 6 foot-by-6 foot Kallax recently and am happy. I took the additional step of anchoring it to the wall. It is solid, spacious, and has 25 squares for record storage if needed. I installed the little shelf inserts to convert to drawers along the bottom...and they fit well, look good.

Good luck with your project!