Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:06 pm 
Premium User

I've looked at Discogs, but no values there and they don't even list SACD as a format. Amazon is all over the map with values between $5.0 and $150 for the exact same SACD. Tried a few other sites with no lock. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:38 pm 

Advanced search on eBay and check the "sold" box.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:44 am 

I also use ebay, but many time listing not always accurate showing sacd and receiving cd?
same for amazon and also many time they don t have it in stock, so ounce paid for you learn out of stocks.
if it is a title that is limited they often go out of stock and then reappear at 4 time the price ounce unavailable.
they are now making lots of reissue ,but in bluray pure audio. but again you have to be fast because availability drasticly can go fast out of stock. that is where a oppo player becomes a asset.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:59 am 
Premium User

eBay just makes things worse ..... LOL!!! Values are all over the map and what Discogs says is way off what Amazon or eBay says. Its no wonder people complain that sellers are asking totally outlandish prices for certain discs.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:08 am 

OBI56;

I agree that prices are all over the map. The best you could do is look up the same title both on Amazon and eBay then use some common sense when pricing them for sale. Ultimately it's a best guess and whatever the market be bear.

What would you be selling? Any multi-channel discs?

Audiois1st

Check out My Streams: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:16 am 

OBI56 wrote:
eBay just makes things worse ..... LOL!!! Values are all over the map and what Discogs says is way off what Amazon or eBay says. Its no wonder people complain that sellers are asking totally outlandish prices for certain discs.

I think some of it is supply and demand... I suspect some disc's were never pressed in great numbers, and weren't on the shelves for long, driving the price up. I've seen Roxy Music's Avalon going for $100, which seems crazy to me, but then I got my copy on sale for $15 at Best Buy!

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:29 am 
Premium User

Audiois1st wrote:
OBI56;

I agree that prices are all over the map. The best you could do is look up the same title both on Amazon and eBay then use some common sense when pricing them for sale. Ultimately it's a best guess and whatever the market be bear.

What would you be selling? Any multi-channel discs?

Audiois1st

I am looking up prices on those 3 sites and a few others, but the more I search, the wider the price gaps seem to get. Condition varies so much (and is rarely disclosed, even for factory sealed discs) combined with the bewildering variety of different releases, makes me almost have sympathy for the people buying and selling these things. The other problem is the extremely high cost of shipping for single discs.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:03 am 

OBI56 wrote:
I've looked at Discogs, but no values there and they don't even list SACD as a format. Amazon is all over the map with values between $5.0 and $150 for the exact same SACD. Tried a few other sites with no lock. Any ideas?

https://www.discogs.com/search/?format_exact=SACD

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 am 

There are all kinds of sellers listing SACDs or DVD-As for stupid $$ - doesn't mean they are getting it - some of that stuff is up there for months and months. If you are looking for a particular disc - all I can say is be patient and keep your eyes open and more times than not it will come up at a reasonable price. What is a reasonable price - the highest you will pay to add that particular disc to your collection.

From that perspective its all relative

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:57 am 
Premium User

I had a SACD of Roxy Music 'Avalon' which had long been out of print.

In selling off a few other SACD's to a gentleman he asked me if I had a copy of the RM as he had been looking for it 'forever'.

I told him I did and he wanted to know how much would I sell it for.

I had no idea what it might be worth and turned to amazon.ca where, to my shock and surprise, it was listed as 'unavailable' with a price of $700.00.

I told him $700.00 and he paid it!!!

Since then I have come to appreciate that amazon.ca have no clue as to what things of that nature are worth...you can find LP's and CD's that are 'unavailable' at ridiculously high prices and find the same item on amazon.com in stock for prices 10 times lower.

Would be interesting to know who/why those prices appear on amazon.ca...if it is 'unavailable' why not just have no pricing information.

On the other hand...I did make $700.00...so thank you amazon.ca!!! 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:01 am 

I bought a few dvd a and sacd and now bluray from china at a fraction of the price and almost free shiping, but sometime it take forever to get them. from 6 week to 5 month??? except one dealer musicboutique everytime within 2 week even got them ounce 4 days from china??? incredible. they look like genuine product sound great.
from the states I buy from blowitoutahere, great price cheap shiping and never sell something that he don t have in stock. all from fleebay.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:15 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
I had a SACD of Roxy Music 'Avalon' which had long been out of print.

In selling off a few other SACD's to a gentleman he asked me if I had a copy of the RM as he had been looking for it 'forever'.

I told him I did and he wanted to know how much would I sell it for.

I had no idea what it might be worth and turned to amazon.ca where, to my shock and surprise, it was listed as 'unavailable' with a price of $700.00.

I told him $700.00 and he paid it!!!

Since then I have come to appreciate that amazon.ca have no clue as to what things of that nature are worth...you can find LP's and CD's that are 'unavailable' at ridiculously high prices and find the same item on amazon.com in stock for prices 10 times lower.

Would be interesting to know who/why those prices appear on amazon.ca...if it is 'unavailable' why not just have no pricing information.

On the other hand...I did make $700.00...so thank you amazon.ca!!! 8)

How much did you charge him for shipping? :P

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:21 am 

OMG 700$ - that's a lot. Thinking about it - If I sold mine even for 700$ I would probably regret it sometime later and begin the quest to reaquire it - this time knowing that it can go for that price. Given that logic - I think I'd rather keep it.

But all the power to ya for getting the 700$ - CONGRATS!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:26 am 

Holy shyte $700....I guess I cant blame you for asking that if that's what the market is
The buyer was obviously reasonably wealthy then or a very very serious collector.
Me I would have to settle for a lesser copy or download.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:37 am 
Premium User

darcman wrote:
Holy shyte $700....I guess I cant blame you for asking that if that's what the market is
The buyer was obviously reasonably wealthy then or a very very serious collector.
Me I would have to settle for a lesser copy or download.

Next day I went to Sunrise Records and found a minty LP of it for $5.00!!! :lol:

-- May 26th, 2017, 10:38 am --

b3733366 wrote:

How much did you charge him for shipping? :P

LOL!!!

He picked it up. 8)