Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:25 am 

Watched the PBS special focusing on the groundbreaking recording techniques and musical influences the Beatles brought together for this, my only favoured Beatles' recording. The marble vinyl I have is not the greatest, but the sound bites used in the PBS show had the vocals way back in the mix, almost drowned out by the side effects that would've previously been in the background. I hope this doesn't reflect what they've done in this new remaster.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:27 am 

I've got four versions of Sgt. Pepper and I'm hating myself because it will soon be five and six if they release the surround version on it's own.
They got me, hook, line and sinker.
We may as well count the out takes to because as soon as the price comes down...
I don't want all these versions I NEED them.
FWIW the mono version is excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:01 am 

I have 8 vinyl versions of Pepper. The original UK mono is by far the best. Getting a cheap copy of it was the trick.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:11 pm 

I have spent the last two days listening to the double CD and boy am I disappointed. Sure the vocals are more out front and clear, but there were times the vocal placement was annoying. I also did not hear the harmonies to be as integrated as from the remastered mono and stereo releases. I love the Beatles and this album, but this is just not hitting the pleasure spot I had expected. Maybe too much hype, with the remastering of grand old beauties!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:49 am 

A Buddy and I cracked the double vinyl edition, I had been saving for his visit. I found the vinyl much better sonically than the CD. There just seems to more stuff going on in the mix over the somewhat limited CD (which I also love). It was actually one of the quietest records I have ever heard. We listened to it in one sitting with some bevys and were suitably blown away after that fantastic final chord that ends it all on side two.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:43 am 

AHarris wrote:
A Buddy and I cracked the double vinyl edition, I had been saving for his visit. I found the vinyl much better sonically than the CD. There just seems to more stuff going on in the mix over the somewhat limited CD (which I also love). It was actually one of the quietest records I have ever heard. We listened to it in one sitting with some bevys and were suitably blown away after that fantastic final chord that ends it all on side two.

Thanks for the follow up. I have heard the same thing from other sources and it looks like I am going to have to get the vinyl version too.
Regards
George

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:31 pm 

I have enough pepper :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:41 am 

Yiorgos wrote:
AHarris wrote:
Thanks for the follow up. I have heard the same thing from other sources and it looks like I am going to have to get the vinyl version too.
Regards
George

My second 'great new record' - sits alongside its' friend DSOTM (2016). One might not suspect that vinyl can really sound this good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:53 am 

I did purchase the full pull CD package.... I find the remastered CD is very good, played that through my PS Audio transport and DAC.... just a wonderful version... well done

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:06 am 

Slightly off topic but fans of this album should pick up Easy Star All-Stars dub cover. Outstanding interpretation, terrific recording and performance.