Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:13 pm 

Apologies if there's already a post for this...Anyone pre-order the upcoming Sgt Peppers 50th Anniversary remix including a 5.1 bluray audio of the entire album? Some claim will be in dolby atmos?

Somewhat expensive at over $200 over at Amazon.ca.

I wish there was a 5.1 only config don't really care for the mono or stereo versions.

Attachment:
la-et-ms-beatles-sgt-pepper-50th-anniversary-20170405.jpg
la-et-ms-beatles-sgt-pepper-50th-anniversary-20170405.jpg [ 387.1 KiB | Viewed 3058 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:39 pm 

Yes, I too wish there was the option to purchase the Bluray audio version only.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:44 pm 

I'm in for this without question. Waiting for my local retailer to get a price. Will be cool to hear the 5.1 mix for this record and the additional bonus material. Been a fan since the day it was released and I never tire of it. An absolutely incredible record IMO.......

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:19 pm 

Anything by The Beatles remixed ... I'm Down ... I'm really down ... with it!

My favourite Beatles album is The Yellow Submarine Songtrack .... absolutely a great remix.

This one should be interesting as Giles has remixed the stereo version with a "mono state of mind" ... if that makes any sense. Whatever he has done I'm getting it.

I just wish I had a dollar for every version of Sgt. Pepper I've bought. But once a Beatlemaniac ..... always a Beatlemaniac. I'm just happy that Yoko can receive more royalties from the sells. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:21 pm 

good sound wrote:
Yes, I too wish there was the option to purchase the Bluray audio version only.

+10
May happen eventually.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:19 pm 

I have the magical mysterie tour on bluray 5.1

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:57 am 

I've added it to my Amazon wish list. I really hope that they release the Blu-ray audio version separately as it's a pretty steep price to pay for wanting just one disc.

Audiois1st

Check out My Streams: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:18 pm 

Looking forward to this, especially the 5.1 mix. According to Giles Martin there's also a 4k version with Dolby Atmos for theatres not sure if this will be included in the consumer boxset.

A special preview presentation was held in NYC at World of McIntosh last Friday. Attendees gave a standing ovation after hearing the remix.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-sgt-pepper-reissue-preview/

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:26 pm 

Just in case you guys don't know already ... iTunes has dropped "Sgt Pepper" (opening track) and "With a Little Help From My Friends" that you can sample hear (or purchase). They sound excellent. And that's the iTunes version! ... so I can imagine the better formats will sound awesome.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:56 am 

cNet says the Blu-ray Audio will contain Atmos, just tweeted Steve G to see if he's confirming that or perhaps misconstruing what Giles said about Atmos mix for theater production. Would be a shame to have done an Atmos mix and NOT include it in the "Super Deluxe" set, although I'm personally only set up for 5.1 full range I still look forward to someday being Atmos-capable.

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-beatles-s ... -makeover/

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:40 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

If there is such a thing as 'over-resolved', blu-ray audio is it. I do not wish to examine every sound byte of a musical performance but rather become immersed in a natural flow of music. As far as re-releases, re-mixes and remasters go, digital doesn't come close to the original releases on vinyl.

Just one man's opinion.

J.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:54 am 

Prosoundman wrote:
If there is such a thing as 'over-resolved', blu-ray audio is it. I do not wish to examine every sound byte of a musical performance but rather become immersed in a natural flow of music. As far as re-releases, re-mixes and remasters go, digital doesn't come close to the original releases on vinyl.

Just one man's opinion.

J.

I can't imagine a less defined opening statement full of useless hyperbole, however as far as Peppers goes this is being remixed from the pre-bounce, pre-eQd multitrack master analogue tapes, unless you've heard it your statement has a pretty huge logic flaw.

I couldn't care less what the resolution is on the Blu-ray, it's the ability to hear a fully immersive surround mix that beckons me. Give it to me in 16/44.1 or 24/96, in a double blind ABX I expect I woudln't be able to tell the difference as my hearing doesn't go much above 18kHz at 43 years old. I also couldn't care less whether it's on Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-Audio or multichannel FLAC or DSD download, I can play any supported format.

The original releases on vinyl are handily bested by the new AAA mono vinyl by most counts.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:21 am 

I fully agree with dobyblue. I could care less about the format or resolution. Just give me the 5.1 surround mix.

Audiois1st

Check out My Streams: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 am 

dobyblue wrote:

The original releases on vinyl are handily bested by the new AAA mono vinyl by most counts.

The recent mono reissues are indeed quite good, especially played on a dedicated mono setup. And reasonable to boot.

It would cost me a small fortune to add all those extra speakers and the necessary amplification to do 5.1, and that's not even considering requiring the extra room for all that stuff.

I'm just going to keep playing the monos :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:26 am 

I picked up both the CD and vinyl last evening from my local Sunrise. I am saving spinning the vinyl to share with a friend who is visiting later in the summer so I put on the CD. My one word review of the holder of #3 on Billboard would be 'awesome!' Giles Martin makes old new again with this very well done stereo remix. Vocal and bass nicely centered and that extreme stereo pan gone. He was on q yesterday talking about it.

Here is the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/tuesday-june- ... -1.4146202