Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 am 

Floyd wrote:
I think that I may have a problem. In the mix are Canadian , USA and UK first press , One Pro Use and One Pro Use White Label , MFSL , UHQR , Dutch etc. etc.

Wow!

I'm sure there is a solution in this problem somewhere... but in the meantime, time to spin a copy of the dsotm. The REAL problem is which one?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:30 am 

Floyd wrote:
I think that I may have a problem. In the mix are Canadian , USA and UK first press , One Pro Use and One Pro Use White Label , MFSL , UHQR , Dutch etc. etc.
I don't know about that, but you're certainly PF's best customer! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:07 am 

drwoo wrote:
I'd figure the UHQR has the most impressive sound ..correct ?

absolutely, head and shoulders above the regular mofi and the pro-use, in my experience.

Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma
BBIC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:09 am 

corby wrote:
drwoo wrote:
I'd figure the UHQR has the most impressive sound ..correct ?

absolutely, head and shoulders above the regular mofi and the pro-use, in my experience.

Now we just need a comparison against the humbly priced 2016 version... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:17 am 

botelhda wrote:
AHarris wrote:
+ 2016 remaster

Of the 'new records' I have bought it is easily the best sounding record by a wide margin

Make that ++ 2016 remaster for me too. :)

If you have many older copies of this, I think for the price that you owe it to yourself to get the BG 2016 version for the price. It totally blew me away from the few copies that I have bought and sold. :) (of course, I did not have the "pro use" copy to reference from, but from what I have read, this new 2016 is the one to get)

Is this the 2016 version you're referencing?

https://www.amazon.ca/Dark-Side-Moon-Ve ... moon+vinyl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 am 

acuratl wrote:
botelhda wrote:
AHarris wrote:
+ 2016 remaster

Of the 'new records' I have bought it is easily the best sounding record by a wide margin

Make that ++ 2016 remaster for me too. :)

If you have many older copies of this, I think for the price that you owe it to yourself to get the BG 2016 version for the price. It totally blew me away from the few copies that I have bought and sold. :) (of course, I did not have the "pro use" copy to reference from, but from what I have read, this new 2016 is the one to get)

Is this the 2016 version you are referencing?

https://www.amazon.ca/Dark-Side-Moon-Ve ... moon+vinyl

I would suspect that is the same one. There should be a sticker on the front that indicates Bernie grundman Mastering.

This is the one I got...
https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The- ... se/9296607

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:13 am 

Has anybody here compared the SQ version against the stereo ones? I remember the tape effects are different, but I'd have to dig my copies out for a further subjective evaluation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:26 pm 

It is possible to make an incredibly sonic product for under $30.00 as this 2016, 'Bernie Grundman' version proves, in spades.

It has given me new faith in new vinyl.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:50 pm 

it's interesting to hear the impressions of the various pressings of this lp. I think alan parsons did a stellar job initially. there have been many "remasters" after the initial masterpiece. I really feel that the subsequent differences are being compared to lp's that are so far down the mastering line that a cd will sound better than most of them.
the fact is, the closer that you can get to the country of origin of the first pressing, the better the lp will sound.

Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma
BBIC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:52 pm 

Oh yes - so many versions, for sure - my friend laments the 40 year anniversary vinyl horror he has. But this edition gives me what my 1978 'non-masterpiece' so sorely lacked - good sound.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:33 am 

I still listen to my mid-80's Canadian Columbia House version. Sounds okay to me and it's more about the music for me anyway with Pink Floyd (or any other rock for that matter) - I could listen to it on a blasting, terrible sounding, in-dash a.m. radio with on beat up full range speaker mounted haphazardly in the dash, cruising down the highway with my windows open, and I'd still find myself singing "Kickin around on a piece of ground..." at the top of my lungs . Just sayin' :)
B

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:26 am 

I can only speak for those I own and for me the best pressing is the UK Harvest A3/B3 pressing. I also have the MFSL 1017-1 pressing, several standard Canadian pressings and the 20th and 30th Anniversary ones. I've heard mixed opinions about the Pro-Use, so I've opted not to get it for now. The UHQR is out of my league pricewise, but based on opinion I'm willing to accept this may be the best one.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:30 am 
Premium User

corby wrote:
it's interesting to hear the impressions of the various pressings of this lp. I think alan parsons did a stellar job initially. there have been many "remasters" after the initial masterpiece. I really feel that the subsequent differences are being compared to lp's that are so far down the mastering line that a cd will sound better than most of them.
the fact is, the closer that you can get to the country of origin of the first pressing, the better the lp will sound.

Is that always true?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:39 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Voodoo Funk wrote:
corby wrote:

Is that always true?

This tends to be th case with EMI, as the understanding is...that EMI makes a copy of the master or 'copying master', for releases. Or they may skip this step, depends.

They then make copies for the given countries.

If the country is big, like the USA, the USA part makes 2-3-6-10-etc copies and sends each to the pressing plants, who then press records from those copies.

In the case of EMI for Canada, being notably a smaller country...no copy is made and the copy sent by EMI goes straight to the pressing plant. Thus Canada is one generation closer to the master on the given EMI pressing.

It varies by release, by company, etc.

This is likely why the DSOTM Canadian EMI/Harvest pressing (originals) sounds so good, and remains stubbornly in the top 4 of sound quality for this particular LP album.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:45 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
corby wrote:

Is that always true?

always is so absolute, I cannot possible answer that. however, in my experience and in the experiences of a few other friends, that has been the case.