Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 am 
Premium User

corby wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
corby wrote:
it's interesting to hear the impressions of the various pressings of this lp. I think alan parsons did a stellar job initially. there have been many "remasters" after the initial masterpiece. I really feel that the subsequent differences are being compared to lp's that are so far down the mastering line that a cd will sound better than most of them.
the fact is, the closer that you can get to the country of origin of the first pressing, the better the lp will sound.

Is that always true?

always is so absolute, I cannot possible answer that. however, in my experience and in the experiences of a few other friends, that has been the case.

Yes...I understand...it has generally been my experience as well...however...there have been times that I think Ken's explanation is also true...especially with releases from Israel...which is probably an even smaller market than Canada. However, I haven't always had the opportunity of comparing each Israeli release to the original...so I don't really know either.

I suppose the trick is to find a copy you really like and not worry about if there are 'better' ones out there.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:45 pm 

Interesting thread. I have at least half dozen copies, all UK 2nd press plus a Canadian copy. They all sound a little different but there are two UK ones that sound really good.

I don't think you can properly judge an older release without buying several copies to increase your chances of getting a pressing from a newer rather than a worn stamper.

I agree that records from the country where the master tape was made usually sound best. There are exceptions. Records pressed at Monarch in LA for Atlantic, Dunhill, A&M and other labels mostly seem to sound like they came from the master tape instead of a copy. Their Led Zep, Supertramp and Yes stuff rivals early UK pressings and were way cheaper when I was buying. I prefer UK copies for Stones records before Sticky Fingers but SF and all Stones records after that pressed at Monarch sound really good. Atlantic pressings from US plants other than Monarch often sound like a tape copy. I don't think they ever pressed DTSOM and their Beatles stuff sounds like a tape copy. I found the German pressings of Waiting for Columbus to sound best so I'm thinking they had to have access to the master tape and of course the German pressing of the Beatles MMT is a really good one.