Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:33 pm 

Inspired by the previous post comparing WYWH versions and having just picked up a long sought after Pro-Use copy, I would like to share my observations of 4 copies of DSOTM.
SYSTEM: Linn LP12/Lingo/Ittok, Ortofon Kontrapunct-B, Artemis Labs PL-1 tube phono stage, Schiit Lyr II, Mr. Speaker Alphadogs headphones.

Prices are the current median prices on Discogs.

In the order of my preference:

1st Place: EMI Pro-Use EMLF-97002 (1978) Japan $236 - Louder than the others, thought I'd turned the volume higher; clearest sound (e.g., some of the non-singing background vocalizations were more easily made out and understood), very involving (drew me in); voices seem placed more forward in the mix; almost seems just the tiniest bit faster

2nd Place: Harvest C7 064-05249 (1973) Sweden $25 - very involving and very good instrumental separation; bit of pre-echo not heard on other versions

3rd: Mobile Fidelity MFSL-017 (1979) USA $113 - very good bass, but an almost murky sound; vocals recede in the mix

4th: EMI Harvest IE 064-05249 (2003) UK $60 - good bass and clear but in a way I associate with digital; did not hold my interest and I almost took it off before side 1 was over

This review is entirely subjective, as you might expect, and your results on your stereo might be different. As well, this is by no means definitive as I would assume that the MFSL UHQR version would beat all of these, but at a very high price. Curiously, the Swedish version, which was the cheapest, came in a clear second place for me and if I had a limited budget and had to pick one, that would be it - assuming I could find one (currently 5 copies on Discogs starting at around $43CDN, all in Europe). Sadly, I let my Canadian copy go several years ago as it would have been nice to have one to include in this comparison.
Hope someone finds this helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:47 pm 

thanks for the summary winter_vinyl. I have the UHQR and have compared it to the pro-use. the UHQR is spectacular. the pro-use is very good, better than the regular mfsl and our domestic releases.
I have a few UHQR's and they are all incredible. if they are in your snack bracket, i'd highly recommend them.
for this particular release, your summary mirrors my findings.

Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma
BBIC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:57 pm 

Very cool! All lovers of this album really deserve to hear the 2016 Bernie Grundman mastering:
https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The- ... se/9287809

This version drew me in like never before & has dead-silent vinyl to boot. Hell, I got mine for $22 at the drugstore!
8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:13 pm 

+ 2016 remaster

Of the 'new records' I have bought it is easily the best sounding record by a wide margin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:19 pm 

Winter_vinyl wrote:
Inspired by the previous post comparing WYWH versions and having just picked up a long sought after Pro-Use copy,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'Pro-Use copy'? I've never heard that term used before?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:13 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
Winter_vinyl wrote:
Inspired by the previous post comparing WYWH versions and having just picked up a long sought after Pro-Use copy,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'Pro-Use copy'? I've never heard that term used before?

I'll forgive your ignorance and raise you mine . . .
What I do know is that the Pro-Use series were pressed in Japan and are high quality, audioplhile pressings. I do not, however, know if this refers to use in some professional capacity, such as radio play.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:12 pm 
Premium User

I have been cataloguing a large collection of LPs that I have to sell for a friend, and he had FOUR copies of DSOTM! Makes me wonder if knew which one was best, but I couldn't ask him, as he is no longer with us. :|
There appears to be a lot of opinions on this question, and I'm not sure myself which is "best"; I just know what people bought first, and I don't know if that was motivated by what they thought was best, or by price and/or collectibility. The MoFi was the most expensive, followed closely by the Japanese version that is still available and may well be the best of the four. The UK 30th anniversary edition (EMI?) was sealed and only went for half of what the MoFi cost. ($75. vs. $150.) The 1989 British pressing is the other one left and worth about a third of what the Japanese pressing is worth.

Pink Floyd The Dark side of the Moon Mobile Fidelity MFSL1-017, jacket fair, record excellent SOLD
Pink Floyd The Dark side of the Moon 1989 British pressing,w/posters,plastic cover/gatefold never opened,LP exc cond
Pink Floyd The Dark side of the Moon 30th Anniversary Edition, 180gm vinyl, British, SEALED SOLD
Pink Floyd The Dark side of the Moon 1974 Japanese import,posters,booklet,stickers,plastic/gate never opened, LP exc

I don't think the Japanese version is the same as the one the O.P. is talking about. It's catalogue # is EMS 80324
The UK version from from 1989 is SHVL 804

These 1970s LPs have been a real 'treat' to classify, as there have been so many pressings from so many countries, often with the same catalogue number! I have been reduced to reading the run-out numbers and comparing them to the numbers I found on Discogs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:48 pm 

And then, wouldn't each album sound better or worse on different systems or is that a firm ranking? I might buy one if London Drugs has it for the production values, otherwise it's one I never was that into.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:52 pm 

rustee wrote:
And then, wouldn't each album sound better or worse on different systems or is that a firm ranking? I might buy one if London Drugs has it for the production values, otherwise it's one I never was that into.

I was emphatic about my ranking being entirely personal and the results could be quite different on another person's system. If you're "just not that into it", why bother at all or, alternatively pick up the 2016 pressing, which another member raved about and will likely being the smallest investment. I may even get one myself if I see it at LD for a reasonable price :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:45 am 

I have the Mobile Fidelity 017 as well. It's the best version I have heard so far. I haven't heard the 2016 version yet. I will probably get one to compare. I have several of the 2016 reissue Pink Floyd which as old rusty said sound vrry, very good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:28 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I think that I may have a problem. In the mix are Canadian , USA and UK first press , One Pro Use and One Pro Use White Label , MFSL , UHQR , Dutch etc. etc.

Attachments:
20170430_111151_resized.jpg
20170430_111151_resized.jpg [ 349.96 KiB | Viewed 1675 times ]
20170430_111141_resized.jpg
20170430_111141_resized.jpg [ 376.51 KiB | Viewed 1675 times ]
20170430_111131_resized.jpg
20170430_111131_resized.jpg [ 332.83 KiB | Viewed 1675 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:02 am 

AHarris wrote:
+ 2016 remaster

Of the 'new records' I have bought it is easily the best sounding record by a wide margin

Make that ++ 2016 remaster for me too. :)

If you have many older copies of this, I think for the price that you owe it to yourself to get the BG 2016 version for the price. It totally blew me away from the few copies that I have bought and sold. :) (of course, I did not have the "pro use" copy to reference from, but from what I have read, this new 2016 is the one to get)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:14 am 

I am highly sceptical. So......off I go to London Drugs!

Any of these new pressings that I have purchased have sounded very poor on my system. Within 10 seconds I have to take the album off.

Great thread!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:31 am 

Those are three impressive pictures ! Wow
I'd figure the UHQR has the most impressive sound ..correct ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:36 am 

Floyd wrote:
I think that I may have a problem. In the mix are Canadian , USA and UK first press , One Pro Use and One Pro Use White Label , MFSL , UHQR , Dutch etc. etc.

Atta Boy! :shock:

I have a NM Cdn pressing that I put on a couple of weeks ago and was in awe of how good it sounds. Think I'll also pick up the 2016 BG version as well 'cause I recently purchased Wish You Were Here and it's VFG.