Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: First LP gifts...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:17 pm 

First album ever gifted to me was Mobile Fidelity, Dark Side Of The Moon. My brother gave it to me on my 21st birthday. Still have it and it still sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:35 pm 

Geez you guys are lucky. There was no music in my family, apart from my mom watching the Lawrence Welk show and the Irish Rovers. The only lp gifts I got were the ones I bought for myself (after buying a Candle all in one stereo). I did get a used (but nice) violin when I was in grade 4 so that I could take music lessons in school. I still have the violin.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:32 pm 

I'm certain we had some LPs back when I was a child, but can't remember them, being born in 86... I always remember my folks having The Bee Gees early stuff and Boney M Christmas...

But, as I got into LPs in the past 12 years, my buddy brought back Zeppelin 4 for me in 2005 or 2006 when I bought my first hifi record player.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:38 pm 
Premium User

Albert wrote:
Geez you guys are lucky. There was no music in my family, apart from my mom watching the Lawrence Welk show and the Irish Rovers. The only lp gifts I got were the ones I bought for myself (after buying a Candle all in one stereo). I did get a used (but nice) violin when I was in grade 4 so that I could take music lessons in school. I still have the violin.

Lucky you, we got stuck listening to Don Messers Jubilee and a French show called Soirée Canadienne. Lawrence Welk only came later.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:17 pm 

Duran Duran - Rio
Rock 83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:54 pm 

My father bought me copies of John Coltrane-A Love Supreme and Herbie Hancock -Maiden Voyage so I wouldn't keep playing his originals over and over.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 am 

I got the Stones Aftermath LP for my 14th birthday in 1966 from a buddy of mine. Still one of my faves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:54 am 

As per my comment in the original LP thread- Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life and Elton John- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road were very pleasant gifts to receive back in the day.

-- 18 Apr 2017 05:54 --

Mod Beat wrote:
I got the Stones Aftermath LP for my 14th birthday in 1966 from a buddy of mine. Still one of my faves.

Great record for sure.

-- 18 Apr 2017 05:57 --

milesD wrote:
My father bought me copies of John Coltrane-A Love Supreme and Herbie Hancock -Maiden Voyage so I wouldn't keep playing his originals over and over.
I love jazz and would have liked to have heard more of it around the house when I was a teen in the 70's. Lots of rock, soul and blues however. At least we had a copy of Dave Brubeck's Take Five/Time Out. Regretfully no Miles, Herbie or the rest of the quintet :lol: until I was older.

You ever listen to Miles Davis Live Evil - superb album.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:20 am 

...side note...not long after mom got me those records...she gave me the Zenith portable stereo (pull down TT w detachable speakers) that was in the living room...that got replaced a big old console unit...the Zenith went into my bedroom...I didn't come out for air 'til I joined the army...5 years later... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 am 

Musicware4u wrote:
As per my comment in the original LP thread- Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life and Elton John- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road were very pleasant gifts to receive back in the day.

-- 18 Apr 2017 05:54 --

Mod Beat wrote:

Great record for sure.

-- 18 Apr 2017 05:57 --

milesD wrote:
I love jazz and would have liked to have heard more of it around the house when I was a teen in the 70's. Lots of rock, soul and blues however. At least we had a copy of Dave Brubeck's Take Five/Time Out. Regretfully no Miles, Herbie or the rest of the quintet :lol: until I was older.

You ever listen to Miles Davis Live Evil - superb album.

We only listened to Jazz in my house. I still love it but I think I missed out on a lot of good rock because of it.
I'm not a huge electric era Miles fan but I do have Live-Evil.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 am 

Elton John - Yellow Brick Road
--> Found it wrapped in the closet a week before Christmas. Unwraped it, played it and put it back. Bad me. :twisted:

Stampeders - Carryin' On
--> Never would have bought this one for myself. But, after a few plays, it was kinda good. A little cheesy.

Stones - '30 greatest hits'
--> Always thought that was a Ktel - thin vinyl - two discs in one pocket - but, apparently it's abkco.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:29 am 

My Uncle Mike (MDobos on Cam) bought me Sesame Street Born To Add (he was and still is a HUGE Springsteen fan) for my birthday in 1986(?)
Pretty cool gift!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:08 am 

My Grandmother, who lived next door to Burton Cummings' mother gave me an autographed (Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, Jim Kale and Garry Peterson) Guess Who / American Woman album.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:14 pm 

Did one of my piano Conservatory of Music tests down in the Annex and I was around 12...my Mom bought me Boston's first album...fresh off the presses.
Great gift.
Can't think of too many more bought for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:04 pm 

Can't remember the first LP I received as a gift but I do remember the first LPs I gave as gifts:
-5th Dimension Greatest Hits to my older sister when she was in grade 11
-Springsteen's The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle and Born to Run to an aunt and uncle when I was a poor university student in Ottawa