Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 pm 

anyone ever try chloroform? Its one of those solvents in the chem lab when stubborn and ALL oils must be removed. its super volitile and an entertainingly high specific gravity.

oh yeah, it gets all the girls too ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:32 pm 

What about you ? Have you tried it ?

garboui wrote:
anyone ever try chloroform? Its one of those solvents in the chem lab when stubborn and ALL oils must be removed. its super volitile and an entertainingly high specific gravity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:37 pm 

PVC has poor chemical resistance to chloroform, so......not recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:08 am 

Chloroform for records?

You must be loolally, Jimmeh.

Go for ACETONE instead.

Do your vinyl a treat ,t'will.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:17 am 

I like to use a variation on the original formula.

100 ml IPA
900 ml Distilled water
5 ml of Jet Dry

Rinse with pure distilled water in a spray bottle.

Works like Magic

I also use MoFi cleaning solution for maintenance but always use the homebrew formula beforehand to get rid of nasty oil and dirt.

Last edited by petersch on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:20 am 

dainapoo wrote:
Hey Guys,

Really late getting to this post but, I've been running all over the internet trying to find X-114 or Tergitol because I had read this link about NOT using Kodak Photo Flo (not Kodaflow - there is no such thing), which I had already purchased for $9.95 for a 16 oz bottle from my local camera shop, and I stopped for a moment and read the technical data on it and it says Triton X-114 is also known as:

octylphenoxypoly (ethoxyethanol). It says it's CAS No. is 9036-19-5.

Then I read the back of the bottle of Kodak Photo Flo 200. It says, and I quote:

Contents: octylphenoxypolyethoxyethanol (9036-19-5).

Same stuff. There are no additional chemicals in the product. You can look this up too. But I'm keeping the Photo Flo. Photo Flo has been recommended as an ingredient in the DIY record cleaning solutions but there are posts all over the internet apparently referring to Photo Flo as Kodaflow (No such product) and saying not to use it. Well, for the record, it is the same stuff as Triton X-114, for what it's worth. I don't think there is any more confusion at least over these products. Not sure why someone is posting erroneous information about Photo Flo, but I don't think this leaves any doubt.

Thanks!

Daina

Baggs bin using Photoflow for two decades.
Just three drops per gallon - no probby.
If you use way OVERLY much, white residue-shavings come off the needle whilst playing.

Other bloke's comment about ethanol is correct. You dont want this near your recurds.

Free distilled water (or good enough) - get it off your dehumidifier.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:54 am 

I have used:
- the VPI solution that came with my machine,
- a home brew of 99% IPA, PhotoFlow, dish soap and distilled H2O,
- just bought some of UHF magazine's concentrate.
Will stick with the UHF concentrate - it seems to stay spread over the record surface better than the others and they state it does not need a rinse post clean.
Cheers
jp

Last edited by J. P. on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:11 am 

J. P. wrote:
I have used:
- the VPI solution that came with my machine,
- a home brew of 99% IPA, PhotoFlow, dish soap and distilled H2O,
- just bought some of UHF magazine's concentrate.
Will stick with the UHF concentrate - it seams to stay spread over the record surface better than the others and they state it does not need a rinse post clean.
Cheers
jp

I use the UHF concentrate and will stick with it as well. However, I found it did need a rinse for best results. Great bang for the buck to boot!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:05 am 

Anybody watch that one hour lecture on record cleaning and record cleaning machines - addy which was posted here? Anyone use that cleaning solution product with the fancy French name?

Baggs just watched that viddy entire.

That bloke should have been a politician - Saying in 20,000 words wot could be said in 200. Going ON AND ON AND ON as if mere continual flapping of lips makes one a professional whose advise all are welcome to take.
When he starts off the lecture with that ski-ing/record groove-anorl analogy (which takes all of 3 minutes) , you know your in for a right cornholing.

Only thing I learned from that viddy was - as I suspected ,and always in practice, did - its recommended to hand-brush the record in BOTH directions.

Anyways, what I wanted to comment:
he is obviously pushing the record cleaning fluid product. He states that isopropanOL (iso propyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol wot we all use??) is bad for vinyl - eats at the esters (or summart). But then - to give him credit - he DOES say the obvious: that , of course, it takes PROLONGED CONTACT with vinyl for the alcohol to take even miniscule "bite" into the actual chemical composition of vinyl.With record-cleaning proceedure being all of actual max 5 minutes solution surface contact time, the point is moot/misleading AND SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP.
But at the very end the shilling starts once more and AGAIN the badboy-isopropanOL is mentioned, as if to reinforce the implied threat to your vinyl.

I've been using rubbing alcohol for decades.
That is not to say this product - apparently developed after much research by a french female chemist - is not superior. I've never used it, so cannot comment.

That is why I am asking you gearheads.

Bloke claims the solution makes for dramatic audible improvements (assuming - AND THIS IS A BIG LOOPHOLE -that your system is halfway "decent".

Decent probs meaning big, big money, roight?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:29 am 

Baggs, you certainly have a gift for words! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:38 am 

I don't have a problem with alcohol, but I am a skeptic when it comes to expensive elixirs, especially ones that claim pre-mixed enzymes...which have a shelf life of about 2 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:10 pm 
Premium User

Isopropanol yes, rubbing alcohol, no freaking way! Rubbing alcohol is composed mostly of isopropanol, but also glycerin and other chemical compounds that leave a greasy film on the surface that is much worse than anything you are trying to remove.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:21 pm 

The problem with any wet cleaning regimen is that if it is successful, it must remove the mould release compound. This in itself is not ideal as the compound is a wax that lubricates the stylus. Studies conducted in the '70s showed that increased wear of the stylus and record are the result.

I don't know what would be a good replacement, but alcohol as a carrier of some kind sounds reasonable. I've been experimenting with Zip Wax Car Wash which contains a water soluble silicone, but my observations are still in the early stages and results are inconclusive.

What kind of a wax would be free of additives and is soluble in alcohol?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:11 pm 

Baggs wrote:
Anyone use that cleaning solution product with the fancy French name?

L'Art du Son record cleaning solution.

Bought some of this stuff which it ended up in the garbage after I noticed "floaties" began growing inside the bottle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:35 pm 

After using a Spin Clean set up along with a homemade rinse bath using distiller water I broke down and purchased an Okkki Nokki record cleaning machine. I am quite happy with the results with the Okki Nokki . The spent Okki Nokki cleaning solution shows what the Spin Clean Wasn,t able to do and of course the vacuuming step of the machine is the other big difference. My question is can I use the large bottle of Spin Clean concentrate and mix the same ratio with distiller water in My record cleaning machine? Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next