Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:27 pm 

Erik wrote:
johnnyj wrote:
Hello,

I use automotive windshield washer fluid with excellent results.
Get the cheap stuff without any fancy additives and lubricants.
It works better than anything else that I have used and leaves my vinyl streak free!
I figure if it is safe on the finish and materials of my vehicles, it is ok to use on my vinyl.

Good Luck
John

That contains Glycol, which leaves a film -- it's why ice does not form on your windsheild in winter storms.

Use the cheap summer stuff, not the low temp winter stuff!

Good Luck and Happy Listening
John

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:47 pm 

johnnyj wrote:
Erik wrote:
johnnyj wrote:
Hello,

I use automotive windshield washer fluid with excellent results.
Get the cheap stuff without any fancy additives and lubricants.
It works better than anything else that I have used and leaves my vinyl streak free!
I figure if it is safe on the finish and materials of my vehicles, it is ok to use on my vinyl.

Good Luck
John

That contains Glycol, which leaves a film -- it's why ice does not form on your windsheild in winter storms.

Use the cheap summer stuff, not the low temp winter stuff!

Good Luck and Happy Listening
John
And here I've been using Rain-X after the wash (but before the rinse) solely for the purpose of coating the record with a film to reduce friction (Rain-X contains silicone, amongst other ingredients).

Sonically, the results are inconclusive, but I've noticed that the rinse doesn't bead off as well. Ironic, considering that when used on the windshield it forces the water to bead up!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:16 pm 

Quote:
And here I've been using Rain-X after the wash (but before the rinse) solely for the purpose of coating the record with a film to reduce friction (Rain-X contains silicone, amongst other ingredients).

Sonically, the results are inconclusive, but I've noticed that the rinse doesn't bead off as well. Ironic, considering that when used on the windshield it forces the water to bead up!

Did you have to recalibrate the speed of your table due to the lower friction of "Rain-X" treated records?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:23 pm 

johnnyj wrote:
Quote:

Did you have to recalibrate the speed of your table due to the lower friction of "Rain-X" treated records?
No, but I dusted the belt with corn starch. The extra belt slipping offsets the speed gains of the lower friction :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:15 pm 

I use a DIY formula, but only on used records that are very dirty. I then follow up with a cleaning with commercial formula. While this is more time consuming, I end up being able to play records that were "toast" using a single step. I have also found that over the years, I really don't use that much cleaner...a few drops goes a long way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:00 am 

My opinion is that there is too much focus applied to the cleaning and not enough to the rinsing. I use a Spin Cleaner machine to do the washing, another to do the rinsing (both with distilled water) and then a VPI HW-17 to do another rinse/clean with distilled water (using the built-in applicator brush) and then finally the vacuum.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4242sak684e0f ... 000793.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y59og12nbik9c ... 000795.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 pm 

Quote:
ripblade wrote:
johnnyj wrote:
Quote:

No, but I dusted the belt with corn starch. The extra belt slipping offsets the speed gains of the lower friction :lol:

Glen! Come on! Corn starch will slip. Time to try maple sirup: a Canadian product sticky enough to prevent belt slippage maintaining better bass lines, velvety enough to to allow sweetness in the highs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:01 pm 

jn229 wrote:
ripblade wrote:
.....I dusted the belt with corn starch. The extra belt slipping offsets the speed gains of the lower friction :lol:

Glen! Come on! Corn starch will slip. Time to try maple sirup: a Canadian product sticky enough to prevent belt slippage maintaining better bass lines, velvety enough to to allow sweetness in the highs.
No problem there Jim. I noticed the prat faded away slightly so I quickly recleaned the belt. Now it tugs, groans and squeals away as the platter comes up to speed. Much better now! :lol:

BTW, did you know I'm using varsol to clean my records now? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:09 pm 

A good friend is encouraging me to 'first' clean with a homemade alcohol base cleaner for oil residue grunge like finger prints. Then use a store bought enzyme cleaner to remove the alcohol (he does not like alcohol residue on his collection) and to clean further. He rinses multiple times and vacuums via a VPI. I have listen to his LPs and they always sound minty and very quiet (read clean).

I have not tried this as of yet, been cleaning with, distilled water, alcohol (20 percent) and Dawn drops. Comments welcomed.

-- 12 Nov 2013 21:16 --

Quote:
ripblade wrote:
jn229 wrote:
ripblade wrote:
.....I dusted the belt with corn starch. The extra belt slipping offsets the speed gains of the lower friction :lol:

No problem there Jim. I noticed the prat faded away slightly so I quickly recleaned the belt. Now it tugs, groans and squeals away as the platter comes up to speed. Much better now! :lol:

BTW, did you know I'm using varsol to clean my records now? :lol:

My family home was down the street from a railway's round house. Varsol was stored there in drums. Being a railway family we never lacked for varsol. Cleaned everything with it till I moved away from home and had to buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:45 pm 

I've noticed that...even with a surfactant...water doesn't get under dirt...especially old fingerprints...nearly as well as oil. The trick is to mix a small amount of Tergitol 15S3 into the varsol and spread it around. I'm using a cf brush to scrub it in. Then apply water mixed with a little 15S9 and scrub that in. The Tergitols blend together releasing the oil so it rinses off with plain water, leaving a record that's cleaner than anything else I've tried....and I've tried a lot of things.

Next best is probably alcohol but it's too volatile unless it's mixed with water, and we're back to square one. Enzymes don't work on alcohol, so I don't see the benefit, but they might remove some residues the alcohol left behind. I've tried the Sporicidin enzyme treatment and frankly, the Varsol/Tergitol treatment easily betters it. It's not VPI friendly though....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:54 pm 

Quote:
ripblade wrote:
I've noticed that...even with a surfactant...water doesn't get under dirt...especially old fingerprints...nearly as well as oil. The trick is to mix a small amount of Tergitol 15S3 into the varsol and spread it around. I'm using a cf brush to scrub it in. Then apply water mixed with a little 15S9 and scrub that in. The Tergitols blend together releasing the oil so it rinses off with plain water, leaving a record that's cleaner than anything else I've tried....and I've tried a lot of things.

Next best is probably alcohol but it's too volatile unless it's mixed with water, and we're back to square one. Enzymes don't work on alcohol, so I don't see the benefit, but they might remove some residues the alcohol left behind. I've tried the Sporicidin enzyme treatment and frankly, the Varsol/Tergitol treatment easily betters it. It's not VPI friendly though....

Do you vacuum? eg: wash over there vacuum here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:10 pm 

Yes, but the record is rinsed clean under the tap first, so the vacuum is strictly to dry the record, not remove the soils.

Wash...
Attachment:
Photo0401.jpg
Photo0401.jpg [ 67.16 KiB | Viewed 1762 times ]

Rinse...
Attachment:
Photo0404.jpg
Photo0404.jpg [ 51.61 KiB | Viewed 1762 times ]

...and a not too clear picture of the vacuum wand. The gasket is nylon mesh cut from a laundry bag. Doesn't retain moisture, doesn't impede airflow, and doesn't generate static. Got the idea from a Keith Monks rcm :)
Attachment:
Photo0057.jpg
Photo0057.jpg [ 77.64 KiB | Viewed 1762 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:51 pm 

Nice like the mesh idea a whole bunch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:27 am 

jn229 wrote:
A good friend is encouraging me to 'first' clean with a homemade alcohol base cleaner for oil residue grunge like finger prints. Then use a store bought enzyme cleaner to remove the alcohol (he does not like alcohol residue on his collection) and to clean further. He rinses multiple times and vacuums via a VPI. I have listen to his LPs and they always sound minty and very quiet (read clean).

I have not tried this as of yet, been cleaning with, distilled water, alcohol (20 percent) and Dawn drops. Comments welcomed.

That's similar to what I do with my method. I don't like any kind of residue either.

Amps: Mac MC7270, MX205
Headphone amps: Glenn 300B, Woo WA22
Speakers: B&W 805S, B&W 804S
Phones: LCD-3F

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:15 pm 

Well, from a chemical standpoint, pure alcohol will not leave any residue. It's probably a better rinse agent than reagent grade ultra pure water.

Can't say the same for any water based product, though they are more practical (and safer) to use.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next