Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:19 pm 

I'm a fan of he the Disc Doctor's method, works great, better than the home brew formulation I used with the photoflo. Last Power Cleaner, not their general purpose stuff, CAN be useful with very bad records(lots of gunk in the grooves) I only use it as a last resort after a couple cleanings with the disc doctors method, It;s fairly expensive.The results are mixed, but I'm using the Last power Cleaner on the worst of the worst records, so you can't expect perfection. I used to pre-steam and I think I'm going to try that again. No matter what you use, I think rinsing is mandatory and a vacuum cleaner is VERY Beneficial.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:29 am 

tubes4me wrote:
Baggs wrote:
Anyone use that cleaning solution product with the fancy French name?

L'Art du Son record cleaning solution.

Bought some of this stuff which it ended up in the garbage after I noticed "floaties" began growing inside the bottle.

Floaties? That stuff ain't cheap and is supposed to be one of the best on the market. Did you give it a good shake?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:26 am 
Premium User

vibrolux wrote:
tubes4me wrote:
Baggs wrote:
Anyone use that cleaning solution product with the fancy French name?

L'Art du Son record cleaning solution.

Bought some of this stuff which it ended up in the garbage after I noticed "floaties" began growing inside the bottle.

Floaties? That stuff ain't cheap and is supposed to be one of the best on the market. Did you give it a good shake?

Vibrolux, I'm not sure that you thought that last one through. Crap floating on top of something used to CLEAN something and not leave a residue and you want to shake it up so the crap gets evenly distributed in the clean solution??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:45 am 

About 4 years ago I bought a bottle of L'Art du Son. Haven't used any for 6 months, so had to check mine. The bottle is crystal clear (using a LED light) and my mixed in a clear spray bottle seemed separated from the water with some sitting on the bottom. A gentle swirling and it remixed. One day later and still mixed.
@ Baggs Why did you not contact the store you bought this from? Pretty expensive to through in the garbage.
As far as cleaning, I do use a rinse. I will try not rinsing as instructed next cleaning schedule to compare.
What I really have a hard time understanding is all the very good cleaners available and people even considering car polish/rainex/etc. For the amount of cleaner used and the money invested in Vinyl and
your system, why risk an internet "discovery"?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:03 am 

stinkey wrote:
What I really have a hard time understanding is all the very good cleaners available and people even considering car polish/rainex/etc. For the amount of cleaner used and the money invested in Vinyl and
your system, why risk an internet "discovery"?
For what they cost, I consider the commercial preparations to be even more overpriced than cables. Consider the premixed ones are 99.99% water, the .01% basically inexpensive surfactants, you wind up 1000% markup on the cost of materials. And if they claim to have any enzymes in the mixture then it's just plain fraud as any viable activity is gone shortly after it's bottled.

As for experimenting with different finishing treatments, I use records that are $2 and under as guinea pigs. If I can find something that reduces stylus friction I'll be ahead in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:36 pm 

Has anyone used the Spin Clean concentrate in a record cleaning machine. I have recently upgraded from the Spin Clean to an Okki Nokki and have a large bottle of the concentrate left over.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:55 pm 

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 32&t=25106

Glenn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:00 pm 

OBI56 wrote:

Vibrolux, I'm not sure that you thought that last one through. Crap floating on top of something used to CLEAN something and not leave a residue and you want to shake it up so the crap gets evenly distributed in the clean solution??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, not exactly sure what was meant by "floaties." L'Art Du Son is one of the better products out there and it's not exactly cheap to be just thrown out. But on the other hand, probably not a good idea to keep using it, except maybe to clean CDs. :-)

-- 14 Jan 2015 01:11 --

Yikes! The OP is from 2005. I've got a small bottle of cleaning fluid that came with my Record Doctor V but would like to make my own solution. So who's got a recipe for a good cleaning formula?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:42 pm 

I've given up on DIY LP cleaning formula... I use Last!It's not the cheapest but it works and I try not to over clean my records asI find at hat it does more harm than good!

Last edited by MASTERVETEAM4 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:10 pm 

50% iso 99% + 50% distilled water + 1977 Discwasher brush not fancy just works and is dirt cheap.
But for you Deep wallet types

Quote:
.L'Art du Son, a record-cleaning fluid that really does sound different from the more conventional isopropyl-based cleaners. It contains no alcohol, is biodegradable, and can't hurt you, though I wouldn't advise drinking it! The conventional alcohol-based fluid deposited an electronic glaze over the sound, one particularly noticeable on the upper frequencies. This glaze increases the apparent 'definition' in the same way that most transistorized amplifiers do, and to these ears, emphasizes the electronic nature of the sound. With the L'Art du Son, that glaze is gone and just the music is left. I like this stuff! I couldn't imagine going back to the conventional cleaning fluids

Quote:
Electronic glaze
I have Testicular pain from laughing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:47 pm 

don't know if it was mentioned or not but photo flow was also touted as the substitute for D4,3 etc discwasher fluid back in the day - maybe still. Two camps on that as well I'm sure. I am not sure on the chemistry/physics of it but both the photoflo and dishwasher drops perform the same function when it comes to blending the water and alcohol to clean a record. I have used both the DIY (with dishwasher stuff, photoflo and stuff that wont be mentioned) and the expensive stuff with my VPI 17 and previously with my attach it to your vacuum model (cant think of the brand but it showed me what a vacuum record cleaner could do and it was a great unit - sold it real easy on Cannuck - cheap plug) and have had very positive results with both and recommend you go with what you can afford and/or to the level of your kit and/or what you are comfortable with and most of all - What Sounds good to YOU!!!

Even with the vacuum/pump unit of your choice and cocktail to go into it - you still need a good brush for that final wipe before you play the disc and a little TLC stuff for the stylus as well.

Whats your preference in that area - heard brushes and fluid on the stylus will detach it after a while - urban legend or truth?

LONG LIVE VINYL!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:38 pm 

MASTERVETEAM4 wrote:
I've given up on DIY Lp cleaning formula... I use Last!
It's not the cheapest but it works and I try not to overclean my records

It would seem that from your post here and your recent post in the "Latest LP pickups?" thread that perhaps you have sorted out your problems with your damaged Linn LP12. True? Or did you just move on and purchase another rig instead? Just wonderin'.....

And we're glad you didn't give up on analog and Hi-Fi in general. :)