Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LP DIY cleaning formula
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Some people have been asking for Mac's LP cleaning solution so here's a copy of it from the Record Cleaning Machines and Fluids thread:

mac wrote:
I try to put a couple hours aside every month or so and just clean a bunch all at once. After a record is clean, U probly don't have to do it again for months(maybe a quick little dust-up with a good brush once in a while,but rarely). I also use a zerostat gun on a record before I play it.. U may remember them from the 70's.little red pistol thing,works great too,and they still make 'em.

As for fluids,well there we get into what some folks think is a dark science.

There are lots of expensive ones out there,and they all do a great job,but they are pricey.So after some research I found a simple recipe that costs about $5 a gallon. The only drawback is that it should be rinsed off as it can leave a tiny residue,but the rinse stage is simple too:
One gallon distilled water.

To that add Isoprolyl Alcohol to make a 10% solution(about $2 from the drug store).

Add a couple drops of dishwashing liquid,the cheap stuff(the expensive kinds like Sunlight or Dawn have oils in them,and the cheep "dollar store" versions don''t and are best.

Give it a shake, pour into a little squirt bottle(an old shampoo with a flip-top works great) and that's it.

Follow the directions of the machine,and at the drying stage,have a spray bottle of plain distilled water to spray on the record as the vacuum does it's job.

Yer done!

This recipe must not be used on old shellac 78's,but is very safe for anything pressed after 1945.

I know that all sounds a bit like work, but u can clean 50 records in a couple house once u get goin', and the results are like magic.
The noise from even discs that look like a dog frisbee is reduced to nothing.

Ok almost nothing.

and from the Vinyl vs Digital thread:

mac wrote:
the recipe for cleaning solution.
Ya...ya gotta rinse it, but it is not a pain.... just keep a spray bottle of distilled water by the machine,and spray the record as it spins on the dry cycle...a breeze.

One gallon distilled water
One large bottle isopropl alcohol to make a 10% solution(available at any drug store).
A few drops cheap dishwashing detergent(not sunlight or Dawn,but the cheap kind found in dollar stores and the like).

That's it. Keep it in a little squirt bottle, like a shampoo bottle, along with the sprayer for the plain distilled to rinse.

Each record takes about 2 minutes, tops. Total cost, about $5. Compare that with $28 for a litre of the fancy stuff... hmmmm..... wonder what IT'S got in it?

One caution.....this cannot be used on shelac 78s from the dark ages(pre 1940).
Cheers
Mac

Thanks mac for sharing this w/ everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:52 am 

Another recipe:

750 ml distilled water
250 ml isopropyl acohol (99%)
1 drop wetting agent (Kodak Photo-Flo or similar)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:50 am 

Unfortunately, I don't have a record cleaning machine. Is there a way to use your concoction without the machine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:48 am 
I used similar DIY formulas for many year with a VPI 16.5 RCM. About a year ago I switched to Nitty Gritty Pure 2. In a nutshell I'll never look back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:48 pm 

unzio, yes you can wash records without a machine. I did this about a decade and a half ago. I used a Watts Record Wash Brush and lint free towels to dry off. You can then blow dry the remaining moisture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:46 am 

Avanti wrote:
Another recipe:

750 ml distilled water
250 ml isopropyl acohol (99%)
1 drop wetting agent (Kodak Photo-Flo or similar)

Kodak is still open? And making photo-flo?

Post subject: Photo-Flo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:23 am 

Highly recommended to use Photo Flo, or equivalent, which is available from Henry's, the camera and supply shops in the GTA.

Photo flo will prevent residue/water spots from remaining on your record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:00 pm 

Add couple of drops of Jet-Dry rinse agent instead !
http://www.jetdry.com/whatis.shtml

Post subject: Blow Drying
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:12 pm 

avhed wrote:
unzio, yes you can wash records without a machine. I did this about a decade and a half ago. I used a Watts Record Wash Brush and lint free towels to dry off. You can then blow dry the remaining moisture.

And hopefully your room air is hepa-filtered clean or your blow dryer will suck all the dust, dander and usual contaminants in its intake and blow them onto the surface of your LP.
I suggest you use a high quality lens cleaning cloth-the kind you get with a good German lense-also available at Henry's. Clean at 90 degrees to the grooves with the cloth. Same goes for a CD. Also I find that the dish washer solutions are themselves residual-they coat the glass. Try a tiny drop on clean glass-say a camera lense-let it evaporate and then examine the lense with a 4X jewellers lope-hmmm. Same goes with ANY soap compound. 1 part 99% solution iso-with 3-4 parts distilled water should do the trick-or buy your distilled water from a better source. Same trick applies. Put tiny drop of distilled water on good glass-GERMAN lense, let it evaporate then examine with 4X lope. If it has no mineral content-there should be no debris. You will see dust-because as it dries the contaminants in your air will intercede-but no debris.

Never seen a lint free TOWEL-jewellers cloth or lense cloth is low lint-but....not lint free

Post subject: Low lint option
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:29 pm 

I have used Egyptian cotton pillow cases. 2 points. You need a real high thread count-I use 800 to 1000. You might not know but for cotton thread count you have to divide by 2 because there is a front and back count-so a 300 thread count is really 150 front and 150 back-way to low. To much lint. 800 is obviously 400 front and 400 back. The reason for Egyptian cotton is that the threads are longer and less likely to fray or lint. Google it. You can get 1000 or 800 thread Egyptian cotton pillow covers for about $50 and they are great for cleaning both CD's and LP's and will last and last, which is one of the salient points about good Egyptian cotton.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:35 pm 

Just like Windex-markerters know that consumers percieve value often through colour. A coloured liquid is more marketable than a clear liquid because the customer sub-consciously equates it with water-which used to be free. So, they add dyes. Look at CLR-marketed to clean everything from rust to coffee pots-try VINEGAR. 100% bio-degradeable and works much faster and better-but it is readily available and cheap so a marketers nightmare. It cleans-amazingly really-all DAP and silicon caulks. It instantly kills mold and is a natural disinfectant. ANYTHING that CLR or Windex can do-vinegar can do better and cheaper. Ask your parents, they used to clean windows with vinegar and then wipe them with newspaper-low lint (before the cheap runny vegetable dyes used in newspaper now).

Back to cotton-curators gloves are-Egyptian cotton. The pillows work well because you can drop the LP or CD into the pillow case-andyou don't have to hold it while you dry it. Also, the cotton is actually much better than the much more costly (per square ft) cost of a lense cleaning cloth-which is sometimes silk or a synthetic which is low lint but poor at absorbing water or any liquid. Really, both a lense cloth and a jewellers cloth is for POLISHING.

Also, all the cheap or otherwise soap compounds are-coloured. Guess why?

Also, and this will sound real stupid until you try it. You can drop a CD or LP into the 800/1000 thread count Egyptian cotton pillow case, grasp it firmly and make like a helicopter (think salad spinner) just make sure you have room-BONE DRY IN SECONDS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:52 am 

Time to throw this link in again!
http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:21 pm 

anyone use these sleeves from this company ?

http://www.sleevetown.com/lp-sleeves-inner.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:55 pm 

Wow, that DIY record vacuum system is great!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 pm 

tescosamoa wrote:
anyone use these sleeves from this company ?

http://www.sleevetown.com/lp-sleeves-inner.shtml

Thanks for posting this. The other alternatives are too expensive! I will give these a try.