Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:03 pm 

I realize that it's been a while since this thread was active but I'm wondering if anyone has any new input on this situation? Any new devices? Even a current canadian source for the Q-Up?

I have new-to-me Micro Seiki MR-611 that is currently having it's turn in the system, and after living with a couple of TT's with auto-return this fully manual model is really making me miss that feature (I do quite a lot of late-night listening and quite regularly end my evening dozing off next to the woodstove).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:16 pm 

I would use this one....sorry

Attachments:
621682_339216382835591_1318398256_o.jpg
621682_339216382835591_1318398256_o.jpg [ 74.56 KiB | Viewed 1609 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:23 pm 

Ah, the double action lift. And the base is shaved to within a micron of close tolerance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:47 pm 

I have been using the TH 1 S lifter for the last 35 years or so.
It works well as long as its not too cold and damp.

Attachments:
lifter.jpg
lifter.jpg [ 92.72 KiB | Viewed 1608 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:52 am 

erichK wrote:
Can anyone suggest a decent, reliable end-of-side tonearm lifting device? I had heard of an apparently excellent such device from Audio Technica and am looking for alternatives

And I feel a duty to warn fellow audiophiles not to make the mistake that I made. That of trusting reviews and buying a Q-up online. Stay away from this to avoid paying $60+ for a cheap-looking molded plastic and bits of sheet metal toy. And the frustration and disappointment that follows as you try to set it up.

This is awkward and unreliable because of the Q-up's overall lack of precise fit and finish. There seems to not be a proper screw, bolt, thread or bearing used in the whole device. Plastic-on- plastic adjusting sliders on a control box positioned by inserting plastic ridges pushed into plastic grooves in a flimsy U-shaped plastic base mounted on double-sided tape make adjustments difficult, and precise ones impossible, as the binding and jerking of the sliders cause the box and sometimes the base. too.to pop out of position. A genuine PITA, dangerous to delicate tonearms and cartridges for all but the most obsessive of tinkerers.

Surely there is something better out there!

:(

Indeed, these will soon be in full production making their debut at The London Ont. record show at Centennial hall March 22nd hope to see you there , we had initially built a few proto-types to test the market the response was overwhelming, thus prompted us to make some adjustments and now we believe these to be the best auto lifts available at any price please see the youtube video attached thank you.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgd6gvGC4IY

-- 04 Feb 2016 12:57 --

stugazz wrote:
erichK wrote:
Can anyone suggest a decent, reliable end-of-side tonearm lifting device? I had heard of an apparently excellent such device from Audio Technica and am looking for alternatives

And I feel a duty to warn fellow audiophiles not to make the mistake that I made. That of trusting reviews and buying a Q-up online. Stay away from this to avoid paying $60+ for a cheap-looking molded plastic and bits of sheet metal toy. And the frustration and disappointment that follows as you try to set it up.

This is awkward and unreliable because of the Q-up's overall lack of precise fit and finish. There seems to not be a proper screw, bolt, thread or bearing used in the whole device. Plastic-on- plastic adjusting sliders on a control box positioned by inserting plastic ridges pushed into plastic grooves in a flimsy U-shaped plastic base mounted on double-sided tape make adjustments difficult, and precise ones impossible, as the binding and jerking of the sliders cause the box and sometimes the base. too.to pop out of position. A genuine PITA, dangerous to delicate tonearms and cartridges for all but the most obsessive of tinkerers.

Surely there is something better out there!
oops sorry wrong link here is the correct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgd6gvGC4IY
:(

Indeed, these will soon be in full production making their debut at The London Ont. record show at Centennial hall March 22nd hope to see you there , we had initially built a few proto-types to test the market the response was overwhelming, thus prompted us to make some adjustments and now we believe these to be the best auto lifts available at any price please see the youtube video attached thank you....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgd6gvGC4IY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:07 am 

Have you tried the "Little Fwend Automatic Tonearm Lift", possible the best lifter on the market.

http://www.LittleFwend.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:45 am 

brf wrote:
Have you tried the "Little Fwend Automatic Tonearm Lift", possible the best lifter on the market.

Everything about that looks to be just about ideal... with the excepton of the price. I just can't see myself spending over $300 CAN for it, at least in my current economic state. Sigh, the search continues...

-- 04 Feb 2016 15:49 --

stugazz wrote:

Indeed, these will soon be in full production making their debut at The London Ont. record show at Centennial hall March 22nd

Any idea yet what they will sell for (even roughly)?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:38 am 

I never had problem with Q UP. You need a little time and patience for proper adjustment. Yes the only one problem is the high price of $60. I think the price of $25 matched the unit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:55 am 

Maybe it's time for some Martin (Logan) McGyver to come up with a DIY version fashioned out of an old toilet paper tube, some take-out chopsticks and a wad of Blu Tac :wink:
(Perhaps that's already out there and my googling skills just haven't been up to the task!)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:09 am 

Attachment:
crane safety sign and tips.jpg
crane safety sign and tips.jpg [ 88.68 KiB | Viewed 1517 times ]

This might do the job!
Depending how heavy your tonearm is...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:12 am 

This makes one wonder if I should bother with a new turntable or go vintage with a auto stop/lift function. I don't see why is such a no-no to have this function in the first place. I'm all for manual tables and such, but would it kill manufacturers to integrate a tonearm lift at the end of a record? Would it make us a lesser audiophile if we wished for such a device?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:30 am 

stickers11 wrote:
This makes one wonder if I should bother with a new turntable or go vintage with a auto stop/lift function. I don't see why is such a no-no to have this function in the first place. I'm all for manual tables and such, but would it kill manufacturers to integrate a tonearm lift at the end of a record? Would it make us a lesser audiophile if we wished for such a device?

Not at all.
It would just cost more!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:06 pm 

I know the response is a little late but I just installed the Levitator on my Linn and it works like a charm. Not bad works a lot like the Audio Technica , for a lot less. $79.00 US.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:25 pm 

Run!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:29 pm 

I bent up a bit of flashing, cut slots in it for the screws, and glued the Q-Up to it. This made it "easy" to adjust. I also hung a little weight from the end of the lift arm to take some of the snap out of the lift. (Not shown)
I scraped the ridge off on the side that glues to the flashing and beveled the lower corner on that side because the bend in the flashing is not a perfect right angle.
A first try on a somewhat beaten up Rega. Nicer finishing would be desirable of course. I sold the turntable and the buyer did not want the Q-Up until he tried it. Then he wanted it.
Positive: It works well.
Negatives: Drilling screw holes in the plinth and you can not play 45's.

Attachment:
P1010080(1).JPG
P1010080(1).JPG [ 188.55 KiB | Viewed 1236 times ]

Attachment:
P1010102(1).JPG
P1010102(1).JPG [ 268.99 KiB | Viewed 1236 times ]