Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cable under$50.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:53 am 

Thanks.
Would you have a link so that i could contact him?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:25 am 
Premium User

kerouacknew wrote:
Thanks.
Would you have a link so that i could contact him?

http://www.unityaudio.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:40 am 

lyle wrote:
Acoustic Research Pro Series II Stereo RCA Cable

Don't let the price tag fool you!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6-Feet-2-RCA-Male-2-RCA-Male-Audio-Cable-2M-New-5-4-/290581798687?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43a8065f1f#ht_4681wt_1124" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6-Feet-2-RCA-Mal ... 681wt_1124

this is primarly what i use now , bought quite a bit at the brick few months back average price was $2/set (clearance table ). been very happy with them too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:44 pm 

How about Wirez Signature cable as an interconnect? $40 for 3 ft.

I did buy these a few months ago, seemed to help with the high frequencies, improved the range. But any new cable may have worked since the cables replaced were over 30 years old!! Also new 14 gauge speaker wire with gold plated banana plugs probably helped.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:10 am 

many good suggestions..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:35 pm 

I just purchased a Linn Linto. I was searching for some decent ic's to hook it up. I found a couple oldies in a closet.
1M AudioQuest Coral (not sure can't read the print could be Turquoise)
1M AudioQuest Ruby.
Would either of these be up to the task?
I also have a 2M pair of Transparent Super that I could I could swap in.
Unless I've misunderstood things shorter is better (in this instance), so the Supers may be out.
If none of the cables I've listed are up to the job what would you recommend?

Mods please move this to a more appropriate forum (unless I actually got it right- I've been a little sleep deprived of late).
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:38 am 

All you can do is try them, and make your decision based on listening.

The Linto is a very good phono stage and should deliver a lot even through a budget cable. If I wanted to see if more were available, I would try a very good phono-specific cable. There are only two of this kind that I know personally : the Hovland MG2 (very hard to find now), and the Audio Sensibility Statement Silver, which is what I use (happily) at the moment.

However there's no need to limit yourself to dedicated phono-type cables, if my experience of others' systems is anything to go by. I have much enjoyed listening to setups using some expensive Atlas cables, the Navigator All-Cu and the Mavros.

Despite all that, I would not want to spend money on a cable, new or used, unless I were sure there were no major pieces that could be usefully upgraded for the same money.

mahatma1 wrote:
I just purchased a Linn Linto. I was searching for some decent ic's to hook it up. I found a couple oldies in a closet.
1M AudioQuest Coral (not sure can't read the print could be Turquoise)
1M AudioQuest Ruby.
Would either of these be up to the task?
I also have a 2M pair of Transparent Super that I could I could swap in.
Unless I've misunderstood things shorter is better (in this instance), so the Supers may be out.
If none of the cables I've listed are up to the job what would you recommend?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:59 am 
Premium User

Dave, just to be clear here, you ARE talking about cables between the phono stage and the preamp, right?

If so, length is much less of a consideration than if it were between the TT and the Linto. If you already have 3 or 4 good interconnects there, just try them out first. The audible differences will be subtle at best and you may need to live with each IC for a couple of days to establish a preference. My preference is to use the shortest interconnect available that does the best job and there are cases where that just happens to be a 6 footer of the same brand and model.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:49 am 

kerouacknew wrote:
Could someone please recommend a decent audio cable for under $50.?
I need something decent to run from my marantz 2230 to my CD player.
thanks
shawn

--- Sticky added by Tesco :)
The entry level Morrow cables are quite good. I have 3 pair of them and one of their higher end cables and am completely happy with them. I think they are $50 US, but they run sales and coupons often, but you might go over your budget a little with shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:13 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Dave, just to be clear here, you ARE talking about cables between the phono stage and the preamp, right?

If so, length is much less of a consideration than if it were between the TT and the Linto. If you already have 3 or 4 good interconnects there, just try them out first. The audible differences will be subtle at best and you may need to live with each IC for a couple of days to establish a preference. My preference is to use the shortest interconnect available that does the best job and there are cases where that just happens to be a 6 footer of the same brand and model.

Yep. Between phono stage and pre. I kind of killed my budget (and then some) so if I can use one of the cables I have on hand that's a plus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:51 am 

For $50 only secondhand such as Audioquest some basic cable,but sound excellent

Audioquest- Tower-Evergreen-Golden Gate-Chicago!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:25 am 

Anyone looking looking for a new cable and is going to TAVES may want to wait and see if there are deals to be had there.

Last year they were making up Kimber PBJ cables with a cable maker, and terminating any length requested for very reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:23 pm 

Robert wrote:
Anyone looking looking for a new cable and is going to TAVES may want to wait and see if there are deals to be had there.

Last year they were making up Kimber PBJ cables with a cable maker, and terminating any length requested for very reasonable prices.

Didn't see one this year though.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:51 pm 

durand wrote:
I would say about 5 years ago, someone could correct me on this, on the front cover of Stereophile, they were making suggestion at a $20.00 US high-end audio cable. It was an Acoutsic Research RCA audio cable Pro II series Directional Balanced Line Audio Cable which I do not have the model number. I remember at the time of reading the very positive review that I went out to buy one pair, tried it rigth away, and no sooner I went to buy 8 pairs at any Futute Shop I could find them.
Remarkable RCA cables for the money. Since then, AR as been taken over by Recotron if I have my storie straight.

Bernard

They are indeed awesome but hard to come by because at the time of Sterephile article they were already discontinued.

They have gray jackets, NOT metallic blue or black like other AR interconnect models. (blue with blue rca and black with ribbed RCA should be avoided)

AR Master with locking RCA (champagne metallic jacket) are also very good, but not as good as gray jacketted ones. I'd recommend them in $30 range

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:08 am 

Black Friday is just around corner. Have you guys seen any good deals? Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next