Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:07 pm 

Years ago I had some buddies try CAT5 cable as speaker cable, they built it up and commented that it definitely sound different ;-)

I never felt the need to experiment until now - for low powered devices, such as CDP, pre amps, etc what do you all think of copper IEC plugs, with CAT5 twisted pairs suppling AC volts?

I won’t say that AMPs should be subject to tiny copper cables, as may draw big CURRENT.

Has anyone done this? Is it crazy?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:28 pm 

I don't think the insulation is thick enough to handle the voltage...
I think this would be a really dangerous thing to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm 

Think cat5 was rated for sumthin like 350mA per strand at 60V.

Maybe somebody will double dare ya? I dunno..

Last edited by BinkyTheCat on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:38 pm 

+1 on dangerous.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:59 pm 

I'll add one more caution to my earlier post...
If your experimental, home made power cable, melts and starts a fire, and the fire marshal figures that out, your insurance company will wash their hands of you, and you'll be libel for any and all damages that result. Building a power cable from wire and connectors that are UL/CSA certified for that use is one thing, re-purposing low voltage, signal cable is a whole different story. No, just No....

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:08 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
I'll add one more caution to my earlier post...
If your experimental, home made power cable, melts and starts a fire, and the fire marshal figures that out, your insurance company will wash their hands of you, and you'll be libel for any and all damages that result. Building a power cable from wire and connectors that are UL/CSA certified for that use is one thing, re-purposing low voltage, signal cable is a whole different story. No, just No....

Dave

This is a good point...makes me wonder about all the small cable company’s out there...do they get certified?

Have no worries, I have a wonderful cable investment $$$.
THX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:09 pm 

NO #$%€KING WAY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:10 pm 

If I may say, That's a smokin bad idea. AC power should be left to professionals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:15 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:
If I may say, That's a smokin bad idea. AC power should be left to professionals.

I'll try to remember that when I replace the end on my extension cord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:43 pm 

twenty9black wrote:
dcrooks wrote:
If your experimental, home made power cable, melts and starts a fire, and the fire marshal figures that out, your insurance company will wash their hands of you, and you'll be libel for any and all damages that result. Building a power cable from wire and connectors that are UL/CSA certified for that use is one thing, re-purposing low voltage, signal cable is a whole different story.

This is a good point...makes me wonder about all the small cable company’s out there...do they get certified?

They should, or they're leaving themselves open to libel lawsuits.... The same holds true for small boutique electronics companies, they should get their amps and pre-amps checked. CSA has a low volume "type" certification, where they will check what you're doing, look to ensure you're using proper connections and rated components, and aren't doing anything obviously wrong, and then give you stickers for the product run. They don't actually stress test anything in their lab, so the cost is lower, and it's legal for low volume product runs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:20 pm 

We cannot over emphasize enough

DO NOT ATTEMPT !!!!

not the same insulator, gauge etc...

plus it WILL void your home owners insurance if anything happens

and you could kill someone !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:46 pm 

twenty9black wrote:
Years ago I had some buddies try CAT5 cable as speaker cable, they built it up and commented that it definitely sound different ;-)

I never felt the need to experiment until now - for low powered devices, such as CDP, pre amps, etc what do you all think of copper IEC plugs, with CAT5 twisted pairs suppling AC volts?

I won’t say that AMPs should be subject to tiny copper cables, as may draw big CURRENT.

Has anyone done this? Is it crazy?

WTF.....YES ...IT IS CRAZY, (... an epic understatement for sure ) ..AND A BONA FIDE PATH FOR A QUICK HOME FIRE DISASTER AND FORFEITURE OF INSURANCE , AND AN ADVERSE RECIPE FOR A MATCHED RECKLESS OPERATIONS LAWSUIT for all damages by purposely ignoring provincial building codes, for all the reasons already posted.....full stop..

The common Best Buy et al CAT5 Ethernet cables are fine element non-electrical build wires used to transmit data (1s and 0s....), not built for AC electrical current. LINN active speakers hookups are one example of their limited restricted use in audio.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:10 pm 

Ummmm, has anyone bothered to check the specs on the cable before they replied :?: :?: :?:

Any answer is conjecture until one checks the specs. The OP should look on the cable for the manufacturer name then look at the spec sheet for the answer.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 pm 

Tom_r wrote:
Ummmm, has anyone bothered to check the specs on the cable before they replied :?: :?: :?:

Any answer is conjecture until one checks the specs. The OP should look on the cable for the manufacturer name then look at the spec sheet for the answer.

I mighta said 350mA at 60V....maybe read the thread to confirm for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:15 pm 

Tom_r wrote:

Don't have to read, Cat 5 is NOT for AC 120v Power. simply put, this is a very dumb idea.

you obviously don't know what cat 5 is or what it is for.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next