Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Cables with the greatest impact in your system
Analog Interconnect 20%  20%  [ 45 ]
Phono cable 9%  9%  [ 21 ]
Digital 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Speaker 21%  21%  [ 47 ]
Power 20%  20%  [ 44 ]
None 27%  27%  [ 59 ]
Total votes : 222
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am 

I selected power cord.

Not for the sublime difference in the transients and my system's ability to generate a sweet mid range with taught bass.

But for the obvious reason.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:44 am 

CAM Staff have had more than one internal discussion about cable threads. Invariably they — the cable threads, not the CAM Staff — went off the rails, causing extra work for the volunteers and resulting in locked threads, and sanctions for Forum users whose records might otherwise have been spotless.

The Staff decision ultimately went to allowing them — cable topics, that is, not spotty members.

The choices had come down to allowing cable topics with no limits, disallowing them entirely, allowing them with limits or policing them extra carefully.

We decided to police them extra carefully. It was felt that there was too much to lose from making cables off limits, especially from the hobbyists' point of view. So although some CAM Forum threads may not get much of a look from the moderation staff, we are pretty much always there on a cable thread, posting, editing, moving posts out of sight, sending PMs and sometimes issuing a warning or even a ban.

Since the opportunity seems to have presented itself, now is a good time to repeat that the fruit of users' personal knowledge and practical experience is welcome. So is sincere questioning. Other things which we have sometimes seen, such as talking through one's hat, over-generosity with the tar brush and, perish forbid, even name-calling, are not.

The CAM Forum Rules are a good read if I may say so. If you have never done it, why not read them now?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:05 am 

Phono cable. I've always felt that IC's made a small but real difference. Speaker cables the same and I personally noticed no difference with power cables. The recent purchase of a phono cable was a bit of an eye-opener though so for me it is easily the biggest bang for the buck. Maybe as others have said it's because of the really small signal my LOMC puts out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:28 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

KJT1 wrote:
Phono cable. I've always felt that IC's made a small but real difference. Speaker cables the same and I personally noticed no difference with power cables. The recent purchase of a phono cable was a bit of an eye-opener though so for me it is easily the biggest bang for the buck. Maybe as others have said it's because of the really small signal my LOMC puts out.

With phono cables...the complex impedance, it's molecular origins when the electrons be a flowin'... this causes forms of interference and integration to be a major player in the signal. the carrier has become intrusive as the signal is so darned small.

The issues are still there in the larger signals of line level (100mv-2000mv) but it plays a less noticeable part, for er, the most part.

However, line level signal cables can be overloaded and we can hear this in the form of transient distortions. Each cable type and individual build has a loading and overload characteristic, and we note it as being part of the tonal flavorings of the given audio cable.

Last edited by Teo Audio on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:33 am 

If I knew nothing of this hobby, had no personal or hands on experience with cables and wires and it was explained to me that components had to be connected and wired together to eventually hear sound from the speakers it would become obvious to me that analogue connections would be the most affected by interference.

I have no direct experience with phono cables but can very much appreciate the importance they would have given that the signals would be very sensitive to interference.

I personally have heard differences in analogue interconnects used in my system and the only question for me has been not do I hear a difference but is the difference I'm hearing worth the additional cost of upgrading from what I'm currently using.

I'm not so sure about digital cables or speaker wire.

I voted for "Analog Interconnect."

My two cents,

Audiois1st

Check out My Streams: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:35 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Unquestionably, it is the phono interconnect cable. The very small signals from a cartridge, and even more so for low output moving coil cartridges, require an exceptionally clean pipeline.

Cheers,
David Neice

I don't disagree, but I would say that cables matter more with MM where capacitance plays a big role in shaping the HF response, especially if the phono pre doesn't offer any adjustments.

-- 12 Dec 2017 15:41 --

msommers wrote:
For me, it was surprisingly the power cable on both a tube Jolida amp and also the latest Hegel H360. I was honestly shocked and couldn't explain it, and I'm not one to pump up the cable hype.

Same here....it was a real eye opener for me. I can't explain it either, except to say that every single component in the chain matters.

For the skeptics, I could care less. There're people who spin vinyl yet claim they can't hear the difference between mats, or the benefit of a label clamp/weight. Given the mechanical nature of vinyl repro, it follows that there must be some difference, however small, if one changes the mechanics of the playback system. Electrical issues are much tougher to wrap one's head around.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 am 

Could if be that the contacts are better just because the cable is new? That would lead to the power cable being important... as well as the power outlet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:05 pm 

Bumpy wrote:
Could if be that the contacts are better just because the cable is new? That would lead to the power cable being important... as well as the power outlet.

In my case it probably does to some extent, as I was comparing a 30yo cable with spot welded contacts and moulded plugs to a new one of similar gauge (but different geometry) which used audiophile plugs and sockets. Still, I doubt the difference would be the same if I simply cut the moulded ends off the old and replaced them with new ones. That would result in improvements across the board, not just in some areas as I had heard.

For the record, I'm still using the old cable, as the differences weren't enough for me to warrant forking out cash on a new cable....I still prefer the sonics of the old cable, but do wish it embodied some of the characteristics of the new one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 pm 

Bumpy wrote:

All I can say is that I changed the phono cable on a new TT and the difference was very real. I would also mention that I switched the original back in for a few hours just to prove to myself that it wasn't my imagination, it wasn't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 pm 

My 2 Grace tonearms benefited from improved cables...expensive but worth every dollar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:51 pm 

At the risk of igniting a can of napalm.. I voted "digital".. however, I will explain.
I wholeheartedly believe that a system approach is the most balanced approach to cables, ergo.. follow the signal, if you don't get it at the start, no amount of loving is going to coax it downstream.
So, if you are running a digital centric system, then putting your best cables up front is valid (PC to DAC, Transport to DAC --> DAC to PRE.. etc.)
I think this is why most that are vinyl centric voted for "phono cables" .. and rightfully so, the signals coming off a phono cartridge are so tiny and fragile.
I always consider it a follow the water process... if it's not pure from the source. it's Toxic downstream.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:01 pm 

Double D wrote:
At the risk of igniting a can of napalm.. I voted "digital".. however, I will explain.
I wholeheartedly believe that a system approach is the most balanced approach to cables, ergo.. follow the signal, if you don't get it at the start, no amount of loving is going to coax it downstream.
So, if you are running a digital centric system, then putting your best cables up front is valid (PC to DAC, Transport to DAC --> DAC to PRE.. etc.)
I think this is why most that are vinyl centric voted for "phono cables" .. and rightfully so, the signals coming off a phono cartridge are so tiny and fragile.
I always consider it a follow the water process... if it's not pure from the source. it's Toxic downstream.

Double D, it's a digital signal. You cannot lose bits.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:05 pm 
Premium User

Bumpy wrote:
Double D wrote:

Double D, it's a digital signal. You cannot lose bits.

No...but how they begin and how they arrive is the key.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:13 pm 

Double D your philosophy is spot on.The best cable should always be at the source.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:31 pm 

I voted power cord....I would always start from power actually and work the way up.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next