Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:07 am 

Looking for some advice. I would like to use my iPad/iPhone to send music through my peachtree X1 USB to SPDIF. Has anyone found a iPad/iPhone cable that can connect to the peachtree? Or a iPad to female USB cable? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:39 am 

If I understand correctly, you want to connect your iPhone/Pad to you DAC via USB? You will require the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/M ... ra-adapter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:54 am 

I actually went into the Apple Store to buy this and the guy told me that it would not work as it was only for sending pictures to the iPad from a camera? Maybe he did not know what he was talking about. Have you used this with success? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:00 am 

The guy @ the Apple store does not know what he is talking about. I don’t use it but know people who do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:05 am 

I had my doubts when I talked to him. Should have just bought it. Back to the Apple Store I guess. Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:13 am 

There are also various Docking stations that employ their own DAC and or a SPDIF/USB output, which you may want to consider if you are playing music for extended periods. These will also power the phone. But the Lightning camera adapter is by far the cheapest solution.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:39 am 

Any models in particular that don't necessarily the dac but ones with SPDIF/USB output. I'd like to read up on them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 am 

Don’t know of any. Googling Lightning docks with SPDIF did not turn up anything. Perhaps they have fallen out of fashion. Or Apple no longer allows it (they do enforce strick policies for OEM hardware). The market was littered with digital devices that supported the older 30 pin connector – friend of mine uses the Teac docking station and it works quite well. But this is of no use for newer Apple devices with Lightning connector

Not sure if this would work. I would think you will still need the Camera adapter to connect to your DAC. Doesn’t hurt to try – can always return if it does not work and keep the Camera adapter.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/H ... r?fnode=97

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:48 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
The guy @ the Apple store does not know what he is talking about. I don’t use it but know people who do.

I use a camera connector to connect my iPad to my Dragonfly DAC. It works just fine. If you connect the lightning port on the adapter to a charger or powered USB device (laptop etc) it will charge the iDevice connected to it too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 am 

So you are saying a self powered DAC will charge a iPhone if connected via the lightning camera adapter?

I just noticed the Peachtree X1 requires power from the USB device connected to it. I assumed it had its own power source – might not work with the camera adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:06 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
So you are saying a self powered DAC will charge a iPhone if connected via the lightning camera adapter?

I just noticed the Peachtree X1 requires power from the USB device connected to it. I assumed it had its own power source – might not work with the camera adapter.

No, the camera adapter has a USB connector and a lightning port on the far end (ie away from the iDevice). I said that if you send a power signal through the lightning port it will charge the iDevice. I don't know if the power from the USB port will do the same as I've never tried it. My Dragonfly DAC is powered from the USB port so it is a drain, not a source of power WRT to the camera adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:51 am 

sixstringhack wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

I use a camera connector to connect my iPad to my Dragonfly DAC. It works just fine. If you connect the lightning port on the adapter to a charger or powered USB device (laptop etc) it will charge the iDevice connected to it too.

I use the same set up as well, and I assume it would be simple to just use a USB cable to the DAC in place of the Dragonfly, although I have not tried it yet. With the Dragonfly it was literally plug and play - no hassles at all. Initially I bought the camera adaptor with only the USB, but exchanged it when I saw the one with both USB and lightning - well worth the extra $10 or so to not have to unplug the iPad (and stop the music) to charge it up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:27 pm 

So I have bought the camera usb apple adapter and ran it out of my ipd to the peachtree x1 and I get and error message that tells me the connected device requires too much power? Is there any way around this?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:52 pm 

Try to insert a powered USB hub between the USB camera adapter and the Peachtree X1?

The Apple Lightning USB camera adapter works fine with my Chord Mojo. It can even decode 24/192 FLAC and DSD files that I have on my iPhone with the Onkyo HF Player app.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:10 pm 

I tried the same hook up with a powered usb hub in and it did work to some degree.
I hooked up the usb cable through a camera adapter to a powered usb hub and then a cable to a T-1 and coax to my dac.
I did get sound through the system but it was spotty. This may be due to the 15ft usb cable i have in place for my MBP to the hub. The iPad may not have enough juice to send the signal that length cleanly. I had a similar result when I first patched 2 cables together for 25ft to the dac but adding the hub into the middle addressed the issue for the MBP.
Personally I would investigate the many wireless options available to you. An Airplay compatible device, Apple TV or Airport Express, Bluetooth receiver or add a streamer with an iPad app.