Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:01 am 

I know the effect of unequal length speaker cables has been debated on this forum in the past. I'm wondering about XLR interconnect cables. I'm thinking of buying active speakers. As my component stand will be in one corner of the room, the ideal lengths of interconnect would be about 2 M to the left speaker and 5 M to the right. Will this create a performance issue?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:13 am 

Not a simple answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_electricity

Buy 2 5 meter XLR interconnect cables...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:22 am 

If in doubt just buy 2 the same length.
You might be surprised how useful the longer cable might be in the future. It will be easier to resell them as a matched pair too, if you ever decide to sell them..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:17 am 

No audible difference whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:20 am 

From a scientific perspective balanced XLR circuits are designed for long cable lengths.

Don't know much more, but that's why microphones and pro audio have no such concerns.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:36 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:

True of a lot of issues that many CAMers fret about

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:09 am 

acuratl wrote:
I know the effect of unequal length speaker cables has been debated on this forum in the past. I'm wondering about XLR interconnect cables. I'm thinking of buying active speakers. As my component stand will be in one corner of the room, the ideal lengths of interconnect would be about 2 M to the left speaker and 5 M to the right. Will this create a performance issue?

It depends on the quality of your system and the cables that you're planning to use. The different length of cable will certainly affect the sound quality , however, if you can't discern it then don't worry about it. But as some said it's better to use the same length of cable to eliminate any sound discrepancy issues.

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/audio-faqs/short-versus-long-cables

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:44 am 

if you using true balanced system...get any lengths you like...but as many said you are always better with "matched" pairs of cables...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am 

I can confirm two different xlr interconnects will cause funny things, regardless of the length.

I was demoing headphones at a dealer and brought in my dac and amp. Forgot my xlrs at home and borrowed their's. Every headphone I tried there was some weird distortion on the left side. I thought it was that demo pair that was screwed up, and tried many more - same thing!

After having a heartattack that my amp was somehow screwed up, I checked everything and found out different length interconnects, off by maybe 10cm. Got a different pair and everything was perfect.

Had no idea this was a problem but lesson learned, the lengths really need to be close!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:59 am 

tube54 wrote:
acuratl wrote:

It depends on the quality of your system and the cables that you're planning to use. The different length of cable will certainly affect the sound quality , however, if you can't discern it then don't worry about it. But as some said it's better to use the same length of cable to eliminate any sound discrepancy issues.

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/audio-faqs/short-versus-long-cables

Please let us know exactly how you came to that conclusion the conditions given by acurati will be audible in any system. I need to know, maybe I can learn something.

-- 03 Sep 2017 19:01 --

msommers wrote:
I can confirm two different xlr interconnects will cause funny things, regardless of the length.

I was demoing headphones at a dealer and brought in my dac and amp. Forgot my xlrs at home and borrowed their's. Every headphone I tried there was some weird distortion on the left side. I thought it was that demo pair that was screwed up, and tried many more - same thing!

After having a heartattack that my amp was somehow screwed up, I checked everything and found out different length interconnects, off by maybe 10cm. Got a different pair and everything was perfect.

Had no idea this was a problem but lesson learned, the lengths really need to be close!

Maybe there was something wrong with one of the cables. Even spiderman couldn't hear a 10 cm difference!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:17 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
Maybe there was something wrong with one of the cables. Even spiderman couldn't hear a 10 cm difference!

I think if the longer cable was 10cm long, it would certainly be audible. Beyond that though... :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:47 am 

That's certainly possible! The salesman was a little bewildered why they'd be a different length at all (as was I). Unfortunately I can't remember what company he said built them (someone from out East) but I certainly wouldn't be buying them lol.

I don't know enough about any specifics why it happened (maybe Schiit Mjolnir 2 and Schiit Gungnir Multibit are extra sensitive?) but I can tell you that both of those cables were ~0.5m long, and one was about a connector-length shorter than the other (call it 10 cm).

My ears definitely heard something screwy and was rectified immediately once I had a pair of XLR interconnects that were the same length. I hardly have golden ears either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:01 pm 

I do not believe that/length will be audible/...must have been bad connection or shield or what ever with the certain cable.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:19 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:

Palpably said. :D

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:51 pm 

Probably no difference what so ever, but, buy the same length in case you move the system around...