Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:12 am 

My 2 cents, i always use a Zerostat before playing. Season not withstanding, reducing the static level is just good preventative playing. As the preference to leave the lid off or open for all the benifit of reduced echo etc, allows dust to be brought down to the surface as the vortx over the platter develops.
Adherance is more an issue to me at this point. I don't buy into the theory of significant static charge developing while playing. If you spindal is metal, it is most likely bleeding static to ground via the motor assembly on DD players. This will vary by build of belt drive. You add more static in handling the record into the sleeve after playing imho.
With a Zerostat or similar, you can shoot the record in its sleeve before and after removal to storage.

Do read up on health concerns of continuous air ionization too.
Quote:
"The potential danger with this is that humans don't usually breathe ionized air, and many studies show that electromagnetically charged particles can damage lungs. Also, if an oxygen molecule bonds with two others, it becomes O3, or ozone. ... However, if you are sensitive to ozone, you should avoid ionizers entirely.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:23 am 

Sasklite wrote:
I don't buy into the theory of significant static charge developing while playing.

it's not a theory actually, it's a fact.

here's some interesting reading and information that may help minimize static:

https://www.electrostatics.com/staticelectricity.html

Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma
BBIC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:38 am 

corby wrote:
Sasklite wrote:
I don't buy into the theory of significant static charge developing while playing.

it's not a theory actually, it's a fact.

here's some interesting reading and information that may help minimize static:

https://www.electrostatics.com/staticelectricity.html

I did't say it didn't happen, I said 'significant' as in less created playing than during inserting and removing from sleeve in comparison. I've been in the electronics and electrical buisinesses for 40 years. Static can kill electronics at high levels etc, but the amount created spinning a record for 20 minutes is way less than the second it slides against sleeves. Antistatic sleeves could be great, but not everyone will replace thousands in a collection.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:27 am 

bluenosens wrote:
:D Check-out the new Audioquest brush on Amazon. I bought one and love it. Will see how it does with winter dryness. I also use a Himalayan salt lamp by the stereo as I believe it may also help with static :) ...Hey, they are cheap tweaks. YMMV. Good luck, cheers, lloyd

I was wondering when someone would bring this new brush up! I too have one, and it's the real deal! Had a Milty gun as well, and this brush is way better.
Cheers, Doug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:43 am 

I clean the record with a brush then just simply touch the edge of the lp to ground out any static.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:23 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Most people don't know how to properly use the Zerostat gun.

Watch this video and find out how it's done.

http://www.goldring.co.uk/themes/goldringv1/video/Zerostat3v2.mp4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:38 am 

europroducts wrote:

http://www.goldring.co.uk/themes/goldringv1/video/Zerostat3v2.mp4

Interesting, I have always done everything shown except hold the record clear of the TT. Has still worked reasonably well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:44 am 

I lived in a high rise apartment bldg from 1988 to 1996 and always had static issues. I also sometimes had floating ground issues at that time.

I attribute this to the handling of the records near static attracting material, liberal and useless use of the Zerostat (I still have it) and not avoiding or removing the dust cover.

Presently I have zero static issues. I do replace sleeves with opaque thicker anti static ones almost always when I wash an LP on my VPI washer. The wash itself does not generate static. Minimal brush use on the platter, and everything in my system plugs to a Panamax. I don't use a dust cover, just the Swiffer occasionally.

Since I only started again with records this year, we will see how the winter goes. Don't want to damage my home/windows with excess humidity!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:57 am 

The Milty Zerostat (or the Orb the OP is asking about) is useful to keep static charge to a minimum whilst handling the record, and if it happens to be stuck to the mat after a spin. :) As far as static building up during replay, Shure did a study on this in the '70s and found that simply playing the record can reduce a highly charged record, but it will also build a charge on a record that is neutralized beforehand. Diamond is a conductor, yet there is friction; the static will build to an equilibrium and remain there unless acted upon.

The ionizer that corby linked to is the best way to ensure the static is eliminated and stays that way, but it produces toxic ozone, something of an issue in tight or unventilated spaces. Personally, I can't stand the acrid odour they produce. I use a grounded CF dustbug that sweeps the record as it plays. It's not perfect at eliminating the charge, but at least the grooves are kept dust free in the meantime. It's also helpful to use a quaternary surfactant such Behentrimonium Chloride in the wash, and don't go nuts with the rinse. The 'quats' left on the vinyl in trace amounts act as a lubricant, helps reduce static, and ensures that microbes or molds can't grow on the record while it's in storage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 pm 

the amount of ozone being produced by the ionizer is very minimal, I can't detect it. the hand held furutech destat produces more, albeit over a shorter duration.
there is much more ozone produced in the acapella plasma tweeters, I can detect that, even in a large room.

Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma
BBIC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:12 pm 

ripblade wrote:
The Milty Zerostat (or the Orb the OP is asking about) is useful to keep static charge to a minimum whilst handling the record, and if it happens to be stuck to the mat after a spin. :) As far as static building up during replay, Shure did a study on this in the '70s and found that simply playing the record can reduce a highly charged record, but it will also build a charge on a record that is neutralized beforehand. Diamond is a conductor, yet there is friction; the static will build to an equilibrium and remain there unless acted upon.

The ionizer that corby linked to is the best way to ensure the static is eliminated and stays that way, but it produces toxic ozone, something of an issue in tight or unventilated spaces. Personally, I can't stand the acrid odour they produce. I use a grounded CF dustbug that sweeps the record as it plays. It's not perfect at eliminating the charge, but at least the grooves are kept dust free in the meantime. It's also helpful to use a quaternary surfactant such Behentrimonium Chloride in the wash, and don't go nuts with the rinse. The 'quats' left on the vinyl in trace amounts act as a lubricant, helps reduce static, and ensures that microbes or molds can't grow on the record while it's in storage.

I am wondering where I can get my hands on a quaternary surfactant to add to my next batch along with the Photoflo 200 presently using. Bentrimonium is something like a hair conditioner ingredient I suspect. The lubrication and anti-fungal or anti-mold sounds like a worthwhile addition.
Even after a wash I can occasionally see threads of debris build up as the needle moves thru the groove, digging filaments of who knows what. Maybe that's a dried sneeze and enzymes are also an ingredient to consider if they aren't denatured by alcohol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:04 pm 

Quote:

http://www.goldring.co.uk/themes/goldri ... tat3v2.mp4

That video is helpful.......I didn't know you aren't supposed to make the gun click.....maybe I should've read the instructions..... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
Interesting, I have always done everything shown except hold the record clear of the TT. Has still worked reasonably well.

they say you should not point it as your body parts, it could be a shocking experience. yet the inventor has gone so far as to suggest a test to see if it is working is to gently point it at your lips to see if there is a sensation of cooling while pulling the trigger. I say - you first...
anyway, if you are holding the record, try not to point the Z at a finger.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:42 pm 

racecars wrote:
I am wondering where I can get my hands on a quaternary surfactant to add to my next batch along with the Photoflo 200 presently using. Bentrimonium is something like a hair conditioner ingredient I suspect.

I believe it is too. I got mine through MakingCosmetics in the States, but it's use in the cleaning industry is gaining traction, so it should be easier to come by in the form of liquid sanitizers. One in the States is called Diastat 256 or something like that. It would be easier to mix and dispense in liquid form, as the solid I got from MC is hard to dissolve. Unfortunately, since my needs are taken care of, I couldn't tell you where else to find it.
racecars wrote:
Even after a wash I can occasionally see threads of debris build up as the needle moves thru the groove, digging filaments of who knows what. Maybe that's a dried sneeze and enzymes are also an ingredient to consider if they aren't denatured by alcohol.

Are you playing with the dust cover open by any chance? The dust bug I mentioned above will take care of the fuzzies collecting on the stylus. I tried the digestive enzymes as well as the liquid concentrates used to kill mold, and neither of them did anything appreciable that I could see/hear. If you want to try it, mix up a fresh batch each time and give it a 5 minute soak before vacuuming it off and proceeding with the wash. Might work better for you.
corby wrote:
the amount of ozone being produced by the ionizer is very minimal, I can't detect it. the hand held furutech destat produces more, albeit over a shorter duration.
there is much more ozone produced in the acapella plasma tweeters, I can detect that, even in a large room.

We might have different sensitivities to it it, or it could be you don't notice it in that spacious, well ventilated barn you keep your stereos in. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:31 pm 

deniskin wrote:
Pretty simple really. Raise the humidity level and static all gone.
Get a humidistat to monitor levels. They usually have a green section as to where humidity should be.
Also good for your breathing and keeps down dust.

In theory yes this sounds like it would work. But in reality it doesn't, at least at my house. I know because I got humidistats in each room and although the humidity is just fine, I still get quite a bit of static.

I was thinking of making one of these: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stat_trap_e.html