Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:35 am 

I've reached the point where I'm very happy with my system, and don't plan on changing any of the components. However, every now and then I get the urge to try something new, so I've been trying different tweeks and accessories. I'll be the first to admit that perhaps I've been influenced by the hype of certain tweeks and have heard something that wasn't really there. So, I'm counting on you to help me with this one. My dealer has let me try an Orb Sakura deStat gun which is designed to remove static. My preliminary impressions are a blacker background, but...I may be convincing myself of this. Have any of you tried it? What were your impressions? I'm attaching a review, but keep in mind this was used for cd's, not vinyl. Thanks in advance for your input.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e ... destat.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:13 am 

Take a look at the Milty zerostat. A static charge on the vinyl can affect your cartridge performance. Maybe you don't even have a problem. It's usually most evident in the winter when the air can be dry due to the furnace or baseboard heaters etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:26 am 

I've tried the Milty Zerostat and found that it didn't do much, if anything. The Orb seems to do a better job, but again, it may be expectation bias. I'm curious if anyone else has tried it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 am 

as soon as the record spins, static builds up again and your efforts at destat become redundant.
you need to remove static in real time. direct application of ionized air will minimize static most effectively.

Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma, Haniwa, Audiodesk
BBIC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:39 am 

corby wrote:
as soon as the record spins, static builds up again and your efforts at destat become redundant.
you need to remove static in real time. direct application of ionized air will minimize static most effectively.

Thanks, Corby. If I'm understanding you correctly, in theory the Orb should work more effectively than the Milty because it applies ionized air as the record is rotating. This would explain why I heard more of an improvement with the Orb.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:25 am 

hey AcuraTL

this all sounds kinda like muffler bearings... know what I mean?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 am 

acuratl wrote:
corby wrote:

Thanks, Corby. If I'm understanding you correctly, in theory the Orb should work more effectively than the Milty because it applies ionized air as the record is rotating. This would explain why I heard more of an improvement with the Orb.

i'm not familiar with the orb. I've used the furutech destat and it is very temporary at best.
this is what I use:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38439&p=597502&hilit=panasonic#p597502

BBIC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:33 am 

Those guns with the piezo -induced spark are full of BS.

I used one back in the 80's (Zerostat). Pretty sure Uncle Milty is just a copy.

Use anti-static sleeves, carbon brushes, and keep your records away from materials known to attract static (ie: on top of a dust cover).

Also, get a humidifier for your home for the winter and always touch something proximal and metal BEFORE you touch your turntable or record.

And put Bounce in the dryer! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:42 pm 

Hi,

Lots of interesting suggestions above.

All the piezo anti-static guns are descended from the Zerostat of the 1970s.
Here is how the shops in that day would demo them.
Using a TT with a plexiglass lid they would (in winter) take a woollen cloth and run it around several times on the TT lid.
Now if this combo was really cooking, it was possible to see the arm (if it was very light mass) rise up as the electrostatic charge would draw up the arm toward the lid but only if the arm was made of certain materials. Then they would point the Zerostat at the TT lid and fire it off and the charge would dissipate. Sometimes the demo would involve a stylus pressure gauge so the buyer could see the direct effect.

Now it is true that the main idea is to keep a fixed and constant stylus pressure during playback. This affects VTA and lots of other things. If your TT lid is inclined to build up a charge, then always play the TT with the lid in the up position.
It is also true that TT lids that are prone to build a charge will have more trouble when indoor air is dry and is heated by furnaces, such as during our long Canadian winters. So, just increase the humidity in your listening room to offset this.

Finally, it is also true that if an electrostatic charge is either transferred to or builds up on a vinyl album, there may be a slight increase in surface noise and vinyl whoosh. Some albums just seem to hold a charge. Inner sleeves sometimes help reduce this charge. Some record brushes, like the Decca brush or the old Watts Dust Bug, are designed to sit on a pillar and track the record into the center along with the arm. Some of these also have ground posts attached to their pillars that will draw the charge away from the record. Additionally, in the case of the Watts Dust Bug and other products, a small bottle of distilled water was often supplied and a tiny drop could be added to the Dust Bug before putting it on the record and this would increase the humidity on the vinyl surface just prior to the stylus passing through.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:40 pm 

Pretty simple really. Raise the humidity level and static all gone.
Get a humidistat to monitor levels. They usually have a green section as to where humidity should be.
Also good for your breathing and keeps down dust.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:52 pm 

Doesn't the Zerostat help by reducing the amount of dust attracted to the surface of the vinyl while it plays?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:32 am 

Hal Brian wrote:
Doesn't the Zerostat help by reducing the amount of dust attracted to the surface of the vinyl while it plays?

it will for the first few seconds only. static builds up as soon as the lp starts spinning.

BBIC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:14 am 

:D Check-out the new Audioquest brush on Amazon. I bought one and love it. Will see how it does with winter dryness. I also use a Himalayan salt lamp by the stereo as I believe it may also help with static :) ...Hey, they are cheap tweaks. YMMV. Good luck, cheers, lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:05 am 

bluenosens wrote:
:D Check-out the new Audioquest brush on Amazon. I bought one and love it. Will see how it does with winter dryness. I also use a Himalayan salt lamp by the stereo as I believe it may also help with static :) ...Hey, they are cheap tweaks. YMMV. Good luck, cheers, lloyd

I just picked up the Audioquest brush and love it as well. I decided against the Orb, I really didn't think it made enough of an improvement beyond the brush to justify the expense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 am 

:D That brush is the real deal. Can't believe how well it performs. cheers, lloyd