Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:39 pm 

Thanks Igor.

While youre at it, you might try the various mogami recipes. it seems cheaper still than the dueland, and i was blown away by them when considering the cost. maybe i shoudnt have been given their pedigree but there really is nothing like them in the audiophile world that im aware of.

the ones to try are the 3103 and dammit im drawing a blank on the others...
theres a thread here with the models to look out for.. but its a few bucks a foot or metre if i recall, no more.

i have some expensive cables, (harminic technology pro9, pro silway 2, wireworld equinox 3, the mogamis are not as good. but they are truly musically satisfying and i havent found anything else at many multiples their price i can honestly say that about.

ill have a look at the dueland when the time comes though. thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:07 pm 

The talk of Mogami got me going here!

I have used Mogami 3103 for years as speaker cable due to the low cost, pedigree and decent build quality. I recently bought a used pair of Kimber 8vs and guess what? An improvement - cleaner sound with more detail, more musical presentation but a tiny bit 'dark'. Then I bought a used pair of Audio Sensibility Testament speaker cables and tried them - more detail again and a little brighter than the Kimber.

I am definitely curious about the Deulund DCA wire - I have used their carbon resistors in passive crossovers and they bested the sound of the Mundorf resistors they replaced by a good margin. I can't really afford much from Deulund - I would like to try their capacitors but had to settle for a pair of Jupiters which sound pretty good to me already.

Mogami IC's - I use them as well, bested them with Neotech at 3x the price, but still using lots of them, just not in the main line. I still like Mogami for the the no BS, value for money proposition they present, but even with a moderately resolving system you can hear what better cables can do over Mogami.

I run a high mid-fi system (low hi-fi?), and have not done extensive experimenting with cables so far, but can clearly see that it is in my future now that I can resolve the subtle differences. I may start with some Deulund DCA jumper cables first and see if I can hear the difference. At some point I am sure I will hit the limits of my own ears in terms of perception.

Thanks for being out there guys! There are precious few people who are even remotely interested in the boring stuff we talk about. Enjoy Labour Day!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:45 pm 

I guess im one of those precious few who read and post some of the "boring" stuff.
I too use Mogami 3103 for my speakers.
I have used Zu libtec and Kimber 8Tc and still prefer the overall smooth presentation of the Mogami.
Running Bryston 3B ST and the Mogami does a fine job right through the spectrum.
I am in limbo wating for a Hybrid preamp to be shipped to me.
The tube sound from the pre might need something different for speaker wire but I'll see what happens first with the Mogami.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:02 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
I guess im one of those precious few who read and post some of the "boring" stuff.
I too use Mogami 3103 for my speakers.
I have used Zu libtec and Kimber 8Tc and still prefer the overall smooth presentation of the Mogami.
Running Bryston 3B ST and the Mogami does a fine job right through the spectrum.
I am in limbo wating for a Hybrid preamp to be shipped to me.
The tube sound from the pre might need something different for speaker wire but I'll see what happens first with the Mogami.
Cheers

That is interesting... now I have to swap my 3103 back into the system and hear the difference again!

I swear with the AS Testament I am hearing things I have not before in a clearer overall image, but the mind is tricky and I keep hearing about this mysterious 'synergy' thing.

What kind of terminations are you using on your Mogami 3101 speaker cables? I used Multicontact bananas into the binding posts McCormack amplifier, and bare wire into Propeller Posts on my crossovers. I hear connectors can also make a big difference, but I have not gone down that rabbit hole yet.

The AS Testament I purchase used have very nice Furutech locking bananas on them - I wonder if that is what I am hearing? The Kimber 8vs (factory terminated) I tried was an inexpensive experiment to see if I could hear a difference, and I could.

I did switch to a refurbished Audible Illusions M3A preamp earlier this year, which has proven to be an upgrade over the Luxman C-05 (recapped) I was using. Along with damping & isolating components/stand I feel I can hear pretty small differences for the first time.

Good luck with your new preamp - I am really enjoying the sound of tubes so far!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:26 pm 

I am using CMC banana connectors on 8 ft. lengths.
And i agree. There can be a perceived sound verses actual.
It is a very difficult thing to get a handle on considering no 2 people hear things identically.
But it takes a while of listening to a setup without changing a thing albeit switching sources to appreciate synergy and if the setup does have that certain magic it does indeed shine through.
I was recently talking with another Cammer who had an Audible Illusions pre and agreed it was a very good pre.
I hate to say it but the more revealing a system gets the more difficult it can be to pinpoint just what it is you may be hearing.
Hence the perceivable aspect.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:37 am 

Is Parts Connexion the only source for Duelund cables in Canada?

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:55 am 

milesian wrote:
Is Parts Connexion the only source for Duelund cables in Canada?

Yes... That is correct.
Thank-you!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:57 am 

Any local or Toronto people need burn-in of their Duelund cables I can do them with my "Frybaby2", just PM me.

Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:19 pm 

Perhaps malleable soft silver is best and they say different gauge solid silver sound best for ie-tweeter, mid, bass. Costly though and no need for 6 guage solid silver for sure! I read somewhere.... 22 guage/16 guage/12-14 guage seems enough.... They also say a certain gauge solid silver is best for interconnects. They also say silver RCA/XLR ends are best and I am neutral about either using silver spades (because most contact area vs banana ends) VS just squishing the malleable solid silver wire at amp and speaker ends. As expensive as it is likely long interconnects and short speaker wire using each gauge for its best use seems a good long term hifi investment.

bulk resistance measured in micro-ohms/centimeter:
Silver 1.59 Best
Copper 1.72
Gold 2.44
Aluminum 2.84
Zinc 5.8
Platinum 10.0
Steel 10.4
Tin 11.5 Worst

SILVER
Silver sulphide(tarnish) is conductive silver compound. Compared with pure silver conductivity is reduced. NOTE-I think not too much but dont know the numbers....

COPPER
Practically speaking, we did some conductivity measurements in the past, and instead of some ohm (of course depending on the cross section of the film, i.e. thickness, length and width), you will probably achieve a resistance of some kilo-ohms instead for a cupric or cuprous oxide. NOTE-This means tarnished copper will affect the sound.......