Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:20 pm 

http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hook ... dca16.html

I read about this wire working very well as a speaker cable on a blog written at "Jeff's Place ".He even uses the 16 gauge and 20 gauge to make interconnect cables. Don't need IC's, but I plan on using this stuff for a set of speaker cables to be 4 meters long, replacing a set of Reality Cables. Will let you know how I like this fairly new wire from Duelund.

Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:57 am 

I have been using the 16GA for a few months now as speaker cable and love it-found it sounds best using the bare wire to connect. Also had Chris at Partsconnexion make me a pair of interconnects using the 20GA with Dueland RCA plugs and they also sound very nice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:58 am 

I have tried both the Duelund 16 gauge and 12 gauge as speaker wires on one of my systems and I found the 12 gauge is generally better in terms of clarity, smoothness and tighter bass. I also agree it is best to use bare wires to the binding post at both ends. Note that it does take about 100+ hours for the cables to burn in and open up. The 16gauge was very tight and reserved when I first started using them and started opening up after 40-50 hours of play.
I have also made up interconnects using the 16ga both shielded and unshielded. I found the unshielded to have better clarity and smoothness. They have competed very well against interconnects costing > $1000 in my system.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:11 pm 

Never tried the Dueland, but I have used the Swedish company Supra's tin-plated copper speaker cable in the 2.5, 4.0 and 6 mm2 sizes.

Sorry to say it imparts an overall "dullness" to all music, regardless of the speaker or the associated components. Indeed, no one that heard the Supra cables in any of my systems liked them, whether or not they knew they were in use.

In fairness, though, Supra only uses tin-plating on its budget line of cables. For its top-end designs, they only use individually insulated solid-core pure copper conductors.

Does anyone know the logic for plating the conductors with tin, a poor conductor of electricity, instead of, say, silver? That's what I'm mostly using now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:41 pm 

Maybe because it's cheap, but yes, it would seem not plating copper with tin would be superior. Yet it may have something to do with the cotton and oil insulation, or the propagation characteristics of the tin plating. This how I think of cables, it's like changing the jets in a carburetor; you want the correct air/fuel mixture, not too rich or lean for your particular engine combination, with a little room for getting better mileage or power. The goal with cables should be neutrality, not looking for something radical, that's like just trying to get an engine to run with the wrong cam in it, it's the combination that doesn't work. On the other hand, maybe it's time for digital fuel injection...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:17 pm 

Think the oil is added to the dielectic because it helps prevent the wire from oxidizing.

The usual reason for tin plating copper wire, is once again to prevent
the wire from oxidizing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:25 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
Does anyone know the logic for plating the conductors with tin, a poor conductor of electricity, instead of, say, silver?

Tin doesn't oxidise. Since there's no mention of the copper being OFC, I'm assuming that's the reason. Its use in short lengths for the intended application as hook-up wire is fine. I wouldn't use it in long lengths for ICs or speaker cables, especially at the listed price.

YMMV.

edit:. Uunderhill beat me to it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:10 pm 

I don't pretend to know anything about anything-my audio systems are mid-fi at best but switching to Dueland 16GA speaker wire then 20GA IC's made a great improvement to me-more lifelike, more air, more "there" at not much cost. Some of you may find it worth a try.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:25 pm 

there were several more companies using the "old WE" style of using un-plated copper and oils with cotton or silk insulation...Yamamura, Final Labs, Audio Tekne , Ocellia and Phy just name a few.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:30 pm 

Uunderhill wrote:
Think the oil is added to the dielectic because it helps prevent the wire from oxidizing.

The usual reason for tin plating copper wire, is once again to prevent
the wire from oxidizing.

Just remembered, tin plating also facilitates soldering and is a common feature in hook-up wire. The cotton/oil jacket also won't melt with heat, and the oil may also contain a fire retardant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:51 am 

Had to wait for my "Frybaby2" to arrive, then voltage conditioned the 16 gauge Duelund cables for 24 hours. All I can say is my reality cables are not going back in the system.

Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:31 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
Never tried the Dueland, but I have used the Swedish company Supra's tin-plated copper speaker cable in the 2.5, 4.0 and 6 mm2 sizes.

Sorry to say it imparts an overall "dullness" to all music, regardless of the speaker or the associated components. Indeed, no one that heard the Supra cables in any of my systems liked them, whether or not they knew they were in use...

In all due fairness, the problem with the your Supra 'Classic' Speaker Cables...
Is not necessarily with the 'Tin-Plated' Copper. More so, it is with their choice of Dielectric material.

PVC, (especially when it is as thick as it is on those Loudspeaker Cables)...
Is pretty low on the list of 'preferred' choices -- As things go. Thank-you!

libor wrote:
there were several more companies using the "old WE" style of using un-plated copper and oils with cotton or silk insulation...Yamamura, Final Labs, Audio Tekne , Ocellia and Phy just name a few.....

Exactly!

Consider, someone (like Jeff Day) and his various Audio Systems.
Quite obviously, he does not use the various gauges of Duelund DCA Tin-Plated Stranded Copper Wire...
Just because they are 'inexpensive'.

Rather, he uses them...
For how they sound 'In His System' (*Think Musicality and Tonality).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:56 pm 

Igor thanks for the tip. if youve heard them, can you comment on your cables vs other reasonable cost alternatives such as mogami?

so far mogami has far and away been the best value for dollar ive spent on cables. if i didnt already own stuff i like better (at many multiples the cost) id probably never have looked further.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:27 pm 

Phowell1
I have only used the Reality cables in my system for approx. 7-8 years before trying the Duelund cabling. With the Duelund the music is more "there" if I can describe the sound. I only burned them in for 24 hours on my "Frybaby2" so I am anticipating better tunes as the hours pile on. My Reality cables now cost $390 usd for 12 foot length, so the Duelund is a better value for the $$. Apparently Jeff Day now uses the 12 gauge Duelund as speaker cables for his Tannoy's and sez it outperforms the 16 gauge. Something to consider I think.

Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:11 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
Does anyone know the logic for plating the conductors with tin, a poor conductor of electricity, instead of, say, silver?

As others have pointed out, tin doesn't oxidize, and facilitates easy soldering.

Silver tarnishes, and needs to be kept out of air to prevent this. However it does help with the adherence of teflon, which is why you often find teflon insulated wires are silver plated (and the teflon keeps the air away from the silver, so win win!).