Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:30 am 

Hi,

I have recently ordered a set of Kef Blade's. I am currently looking for a pair of speaker cables and a power conditioner. The same dealer that sold me the Blades also carries Kimber Kable and Furman Power Conditioners. My questions are:

1) if I go with only Kimber and Furman, what would you recommend?
2) If I go with other brands, what are your suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:25 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

We sold a pair of blades with a pair of Oyaide Tunami Terzo. It's relatively affordable and works just perfect. If you have the white ones the cables even match ;) Power conditioners are a mixed bag. There might still be a deal on a last generation Accuphase PS-520, PS-1220 conditioners.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:07 am 

How does that conversation go with a Dealer?

"That will be $30,000 please. Now we need to also consider cables in addition...."

Just curious and jealous.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 pm 

HifiSam wrote:
Hi,

I have recently ordered a set of Kef Blade's. I am currently looking for a pair of speaker cables and a power conditioner. The same dealer that sold me the Blades also carries Kimber Kable and Furman Power Conditioners. My questions are:

Thank you in advance!

Sam

Kimber SELECT cable (speaker wire) is excellent -as is the Acoustic Zen Silver REF II Interconnect (priced far less then Kimber SELECT all-silver.).

If the Blades's don't quite do it -consider the REF3's or 5's -it's a better loudspeaker.

pj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 am 

Hifisam just spent a boatload of money on a pair of KEF Blades and is asking for a speaker cable recommendation and within 3 posts he's getting told that his speakers are inferior to something else that's out there.

I know pj said, "If the Blades's don't quite do it -consider the REF3's or 5's -it's a better loudspeaker.", but still. Let the guy enjoy his purchase for at least a little while.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 am 

Ask your dealer if you can take his suggestions home on a trial basis, AFTER you have had the Blades home for a while and are used to their sound. It may take a while before you need/want better cables or conditioning. You need to give yourself the time to see what transpires. My personal recommendations are Cardas interconnects/speaker cables and Shunyata power cables/power conditioners. This should take time for you to personally figure it all out; it's your experience. Winning the lottery doesn't give one instant perfect sound; for most it would give a room full of purchases no longer used. To avoid confusion, you need to make one substitution at a time and simply listen. If you make multiple changes in a short period of time you won't ever really figure out what works best for you. The Blades are a great choice to build a system around. The first thing you need to do is figure out where to place them - the most critical consideration. Check out the Cardas website and look for Room/System Setup and read it all carefully, when you can tear yourself away from the music. Enjoy the ride!

P.S. By the way, the Furman only offers some surge protection, but certainly no line conditioning. You will have to clean up your power, depending upon where you live and the demand in your service area. The Blades will reveal everything ahead of them. The PS8 package that Shunyata offers is a good start and can be incorporated with later upgrades, depending upon the rest of your system needs. May I suggest, on a week day, carefully listening to one of your most familiar CD's around supper time, and then listening to it again after 11:00 pm. The difference can often be astonishing and gives a real time insight into the value of well designed line conditioning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 am 

I really feel the Blue circle conditioners are great value. You can always test out and if your not happy....sell it.

I feel it has made a noticeable difference with my Totem Earth/Simaudio combo.

I also feel supporting Canadians are cool. Look at the Audio Sensibility speaker line.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:34 am 

HifiSam wrote:
Hi,

Thank you in advance!

Sam

I can't speak for the Kimber cable but I own a Furman Reference 20i balanced power conditioner and it is a very high quality effective way to make sure there is no noise on your lines as well as virtually peerless protection... highly recommended

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm 

ADCO wrote:
HifiSam wrote:
Hi,

Thank you in advance!

Sam

I can't speak for the Kimber cable but I own a Furman Reference 20i balanced power conditioner and it is a very high quality effective way to make sure there is no noise on your lines as well as virtually peerless protection... highly recommended

Equitech: Balanced/Symmetrical AC-Power OR for front-end/source components, AC Re-generation PS Audio P-3. If all you have is digital (CDP, Streamer DAC) connected, you'll be stunned at the improvement clean/re-gen AC has on digital gear -truly fascinating.

If you speakers remain "on order", ask to change to REF 5's -Owners (Blade, Blade II) have spoken openly/honestly and confirmed the superiority of the REF series. Personally, the REF 1's/3's I've evaluated at length -GREAT loudspeakers. Only short show-room/TAVES listen regarding Blades/Blade II. The foolish narrow Blade II width (impacting stability) and their paltry 88-lb. weight and high-cost are disappointing.

If it can be done -the $$ difference can be used for Kimber SELECT KS-6065 (or 6063) speaker wire and AZ "Silver Reference II" IC's, Mc-2 (squared) digital coax/BNC cable, and if need be, consider the impressive Audioquest USB (Carbon/Diamond) and their Ethernet/RJ-45 (Vodka). all great stuff that will compliment high-resolution loudspeakers.

pj

-- 14 Sep 2017 03:31 --

JohnnyK wrote:
Hifisam just spent a boatload of money on a pair of KEF Blades and is asking for a speaker cable recommendation and within 3 posts he's getting told that his speakers are inferior to something else that's out there.

I know pj said, "If the Blades's don't quite do it -consider the REF3's or 5's -it's a better loudspeaker.", but still. Let the guy enjoy his purchase for at least a little while.

JohnnyK: Good point. I'm sure he will (enjoy) !

pj

-- 14 Sep 2017 03:41 --

planetofsound wrote:
We sold a pair of blades with a pair of Oyaide Tunami Terzo. It's relatively affordable and works just perfect. If you have the white ones the cables even match ;) Power conditioners are a mixed bag. There might still be a deal on a last generation Accuphase PS-520, PS-1220 conditioners.

have you had the opportunity to compare the KEF Reference series to the Blades or Blade II -and if so, your thoughts ?

pj

-- 14 Sep 2017 03:43 --

HifiSam wrote:
Hi,

Thank you in advance!

Sam

HifiSam: I'm sure you'll enjoy this fine investment. But I must ask: Did you compare/listen to any of KEF's Reference series as well ?

pj