Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:40 pm 

I also have an H10 with the Blue Circle protectors mentioned as my amp is plugged right into the wall.

For what it's worth, Tripplite Isobar products are supposed to work beautifully and significantly cheaper than most "audiophile grade" protectors out there.

What do hospitals use? Or high end laboratories?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:50 pm 

If you want a true power conditioner, you want the one that has a transformer in it to protect from brownout. The two conditioners that fall in your budget are APC H15 and Panamax M5400-PM. All lower models don't have transformers, so they really only provide filter and surge protection.
I personally own Belkin PF60 - have had for ~8 years now, it does a good job during the storms, but it doesn't have a transformer, hence it was cheaper than the two listed above.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:01 pm 
Premium User

msommers wrote:
I also have an H10 with the Blue Circle protectors mentioned as my amp is plugged right into the wall.

For what it's worth, Tripplite Isobar products are supposed to work beautifully and significantly cheaper than most "audiophile grade" protectors out there.

What do hospitals use? Or high end laboratories?

Hospital and lab equipment have different power needs than home hi-fi equipment and prioritize different aspects of the power delivery. Just as do audio and video, analog and digital, equipment with motors and equipment without. Using a power product intended for use in one or 2 specific power problem areas for a case where that sort of power problem simply does not exists, only results in it having no effect at all. There are specific products that affect specific problems and products that affect multiple problems.

Like installing a quieter muffler on a car will have no effect on its traction, ride or fuel economy, not will installing performance tires on a car make its ventilation more efficient, increase its rear seat legroom nor affect its engine oil temperature. Upgrading a Lada to a BMW 7 series WILL improve on all aspects of the driving experience; trading in a Honda Accord for a Toyota Camry may improve certain aspects and be worse in others.

Use the appropriate power product for the situation or problem at hand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:52 am 

msommers wrote:

.. as long as you don't mind the annoying buzzzz that comes out of them if you plug in anything that draws a decent amount of current.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:33 pm 

+2 for Blue Circle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 pm 

+++blue circles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:44 am 

I just noticed that the old recommendations of APC H15 and Panamax M5400-PM are discontinued. No idea if they're actually still selling these or if they've been replaced with a new editions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:07 am 

msommers wrote:
I just noticed that the old recommendations of APC H15 and Panamax M5400-PM are discontinued. No idea if they're actually still selling these or if they've been replaced with a new editions.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... Power.html

And free shipping

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:25 am 
Premium User

BinkyTheCat wrote:
msommers wrote:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... Power.html

And free shipping

They also have the 1KVa version of the H15 called the H10. BTW, it is the Silver units that have been discontiued, not the black ones. Pity, I sold off 2 of my BNISB H10s for half of the US sale price last year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:14 pm 

A shiny new APCJ25B just showed up at my door. Noise filtering, battery backup and surge protection. Installed and now protecting my gear. So far no noise at all. And with the additional buffering of the battery, I am pretty confident we can weather the storm (topical saying as we are currently under a tornado watch)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:00 pm 

brownslane wrote:
To follow up on another current thread, I am (again) in the market for a solid power conditioner/protector. I have a budget around $500. Given what I have recently learned I want to buy new.

I have a Paramax in my sound room system and it has worked well. I just puked a Monster HTS 5100 (ya, I know; I won't make THAT mistake again)

Any suggestions for inexpensive units? Also, any recommendations for Canadian suppliers is appreciated. I prefer to support Canadians.

thanks again, Tom

Save considerable time and frustration; look for a used Balanced/symmetrical AC power supply (aka "conditioner").

Equi=tech ONLY current maker/supplier (I'm aware). Older/used include Blue-Circle (MR series), Exact Power SP (NOT EP -voltage regulator), and a few others (do a search) I can't recall other makers.

(for line-level sources, a premium AC power re-generator (PS Audio P-3) comes highly recommended.

pj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:23 pm 

I've had good results with ONEAC or Powervar power conditioners on source equipment. Just get one rated to whatever amps you require. These can be found used on classifieds or fleabay for $100 to $50. They are an audio bargain IMO. There are threads out there with others using these on audio equipment with great success.