Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:54 am 

To follow up on another current thread, I am (again) in the market for a solid power conditioner/protector. I have a budget around $500. Given what I have recently learned I want to buy new.

I have a Paramax in my sound room system and it has worked well. I just puked a Monster HTS 5100 (ya, I know; I won't make THAT mistake again)

Any suggestions for inexpensive units? Also, any recommendations for Canadian suppliers is appreciated. I prefer to support Canadians.

thanks again, Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:34 am 

I would recommend Furman products. I have the PST-8D but you may look at their other models. Avshop.ca sells them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:37 am 

I use Blue Circle power conditioners which in my opinion offer excellent value for money/performance and as there is a range of them you will have no problem finding something within your budget. And they are also Canadian.

http://www.bluecircle.com/page32.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:00 pm 

I have been using APC H10 power conditioners in my 2 channel room and in my 7.1 room for some years now and I have never experienced a problem of any description. They are 20 amp units that filter and boost as required, quite heavy, with a serious power cable, (these units are not just a bunch of MOV’s strung together). There is a more expensive version with battery backup, but I personally do not feel the option is worth the money. They are in your price range and I highly recommend them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:13 pm 

I liked the PS Audio Dectet I had for a while. I should have kept it.

P.S. It's up to $575+tax now, so I suppose I violate the budget requirements. It was $500 when I bought mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:38 pm 

brownslane wrote:
To follow up on another current thread, I am (again) in the market for a solid power conditioner/protector. I have a budget around $500. Given what I have recently learned I want to buy new.

I have a Paramax in my sound room system and it has worked well. I just puked a Monster HTS 5100 (ya, I know; I won't make THAT mistake again)

Any suggestions for inexpensive units? Also, any recommendations for Canadian suppliers is appreciated. I prefer to support Canadians.

thanks again, Tom

Hi Tom, why do you think you need "conditioner" for your power (unlike my hair :-)? Doesn't your equipment have capacitors in the power supply? Perhaps you are not aware the high end electronics existed long before the sales hype of power conditioners made few companies very rich... now power spike protection is all different animal....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:52 pm 

furman or panamax....same company

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:00 pm 

Hi Bandy, thanks for your interest. I am looking primarily for surge protection. Our neighborhood is in the midst of renovation madness....you know, buy the old house, tear it down, build a monster home.....so we are getting a regular dose of spikes and failures...that kind of stuff that is gonna fry my system. My systems are both on separately fused and dedicated circuits. Even separate (direct) grounding. But the stuff from the grid is nasty these days; I have seen from 110 to 118 volts as well.... it just fried the previous Monster HT 5100 ..

But with good power management (spike/surge control) comes the opportunity to condition the current flows to each component on my rack. One supports the other.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:10 pm 

In addition to the APC H10 and Belkin FP30 I use the Blue Circle Yalu Balula. Three for $55, hard to beat.
Attachment:
579994-blue_circle_yalu_balula_surge_protector_3_pack.jpg
579994-blue_circle_yalu_balula_surge_protector_3_pack.jpg [ 35.1 KiB | Viewed 1763 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:42 pm 

brownslane wrote:
Hi Bandy, thanks for your interest. I am looking primarily for surge protection. Our neighborhood is in the midst of renovation madness....you know, buy the old house, tear it down, build a monster home.....so we are getting a regular dose of spikes and failures...that kind of stuff that is gonna fry my system. My systems are both on separately fused and dedicated circuits. Even separate (direct) grounding. But the stuff from the grid is nasty these days; I have seen from 110 to 118 volts as well.... it just fried the previous Monster HT 5100 ..

But with good power management (spike/surge control) comes the opportunity to condition the current flows to each component on my rack. One supports the other.

Thanks

That I can fully relate to, heavy machinery causing drops in voltage on the near grid. However, most equipment will deal with 110 to 118 variations. I worry more about act of God, aka lightning. Why don't we have lightning rods in this country? In Europe almost every structure has one. Than again, a lightning rod=lightning magnet, so I am ok with having a tall church tower near by and a cell tower, oh well...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:04 pm 

+1 Blue Circle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:19 pm 

SurgeX SA966? I have a SurgeX SA1810 in my system, but it is a little more than you want to spend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:21 pm 

Bandy wrote:
Why don't we have lightning rods in this country? In Europe almost every structure has one. Than again, a lightning rod=lightning magnet, so I am ok with having a tall church tower near by and a cell tower, oh well...

Actually, there's a fair bit of evidence that lightning rods actually help reduce the voltage differential, and thus reduce the chance of a strike, rather than being a magnet....

Sorry for being off topic! Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:18 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
In addition to the APC H10 and Belkin FP30 I use the Blue Circle Yalu Balula. Three for $55, hard to beat.
Attachment:

Belkin pf60 in the tv room. What was it on sale? $130??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:38 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

mahatma1 wrote:
Attachment:

Just FYI, the new ones look a lot neater and are less obtrusive (they no longer have the dome on them)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk