Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How would you start or upgrade?
Beginning to End 70%  70%  [ 30 ]
End to Beginning 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
Digital to Analog 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Analog to Digital 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 250
Location: toronto, ON, CA
bumperdoo wrote:
Bumpy wrote:
Take the money you would otherwise spend on cables and buy better gear.


Perhaps... or "upgrade," your existing gear with great cables and let your system come alive in many cases.

If you've never auditioned quality inter-connects, you owe it to yourself to try before dis-counting their benefit. If you've never found quality inter-connects to be worthwhile, fine, but mileage does vary and many have found incredible performance benefits.


I've auditioned many and built many.

None offered as big a change as better gear.

Starting with the source.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:35 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6100
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Bumpy wrote:
bumperdoo wrote:
Bumpy wrote:
Take the money you would otherwise spend on cables and buy better gear.


Perhaps... or "upgrade," your existing gear with great cables and let your system come alive in many cases.

If you've never auditioned quality inter-connects, you owe it to yourself to try before dis-counting their benefit. If you've never found quality inter-connects to be worthwhile, fine, but mileage does vary and many have found incredible performance benefits.


I've auditioned many and built many.

None offered as big a change as better gear.

Starting with the source.


...the dedicated circuit that the electricity enters in (and the receptacles) to power your components.

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 250
Location: toronto, ON, CA
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Bumpy wrote:
Starting with the source.


...the dedicated circuit that the electricity enters in (and the receptacles) to power your components.


I replaced all the receptacles years ago to ensure better contact. Good contact is "best practice". Was there sonic benefit?

Perhaps -- I did replace *new* contractor grade plugs. While I cannot guarantee that the mechanical contact is better, I think it is.... which may be enough to "hear" something. OR it may be real *if* less noise is entering the system.

Either way, I don't worry about this anymore. Since then, I put a couple of the Blue Circle noise filters in ugly pipes on the system ( don't ask which one's they are, I don't remember ).

Filtering power line noise appears to have made the system virtually immune to power cable changes.

In my experience, spending $500 on BC power line filtration is better than spending $500 on power cables.


Last edited by Bumpy on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:40 am
Posts: 46
Location: edmonton, AB, CA
I asked Joe of JPS Labs where to start improving power cords if u could only do one at a time.
He suggested the power amp, then the source, followed by the preamp


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:02 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6100
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Recently I have been re-configuring my system...I now feel that speaker cables can make more of a difference than power cords...although I still believe an excellent power cord is helpful.

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
So to conclude, everyone has their own theory about if cables are necessary, what brand to buy, and what components to start with.

Perfect! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 13865
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
msommers wrote:
So to conclude, everyone has their own theory about if cables are necessary, what brand to buy, and what components to start with.

Perfect! :lol:
Cables are necessary...no doubt about it. :wink:

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Got me there! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am
Posts: 842
Location: Stratford, ON, CA
Hi,

ripblade writes (maybe he is sitting in some mountain monastery?): 'Cables are necessary...no doubt about it.'

And there, my friends, is the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

Cheers,
David Neice

_________________
Chinese Proverb: 'Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth, waits very, very long time'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 13865
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

ripblade writes (maybe he is sitting in some mountain monastery?): 'Cables are necessary...no doubt about it.'

And there, my friends, is the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

Cheers,
David Neice
I was gifted with an acute ability to see the obvious. :lol:

Ommmm.... 8)

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm
Posts: 4999
Location: Dodge City, NB, CA
ripblade wrote:
msommers wrote:
So to conclude, everyone has their own theory about if cables are necessary, what brand to buy, and what components to start with.

Perfect! :lol:
Cables are necessary...no doubt about it. :wink:

Not if you use a battery powered boombox. :wink:

_________________
No matter how hard you try, you can't cure stupid.
Unknown


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am
Posts: 842
Location: Stratford, ON, CA
Hi,

ripblade posts: 'Ommmm....'

I can actually hear that reverberant field echoing off the walls of the Taj Mahal. Please don't ask me what speakers I'm using - because it's all in the cables!

So, do you think we will get a message that we are a bit off-topic? :lol: Levity - such a rarity on CAM.

Cheers,
David Neice

_________________
Chinese Proverb: 'Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth, waits very, very long time'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 13865
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
KJT1 wrote:
ripblade wrote:
msommers wrote:
So to conclude, everyone has their own theory about if cables are necessary, what brand to buy, and what components to start with.

Perfect! :lol:
Cables are necessary...no doubt about it. :wink:

Not if you use a battery powered boombox. :wink:
It has wires/cables within. :)

Q: When is a wire not a wire?

A: When it's not a wire. :lol:

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 13865
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
buybye88 wrote:
So, do you think we will get a message that we are a bit off-topic? :lol: Levity - such a rarity on CAM.
Shhhhh...if we keep quiet about it maybe no one will notice....

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 250
Location: toronto, ON, CA
msommers wrote:
So to conclude, everyone has their own theory about if cables are necessary, what brand to buy, and what components to start with.

Perfect! :lol:


Let's look at this from a purely statistical perspective, and let's assume that people are not mistaken when they hear or do not hear things. Afterall, their hearing is to be trusted right? It follow that:

When listening reports about the sonic benefits of cables are "all over the map" and appear to be random, the conclusion is that cables are not a factor in sonics.

That's it in a nutshell.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alanu and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group