Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Solution for two speakers
4x 14gauge wires 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
8x 16gauge wires 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:20 am 

Hi dear members,

I just bought b&w dm602 s2 and can bi-wire them.
They are currently single-wired with 14 gauge.
I have 100 feet of 16 gauge wire. I have 4 connectors behind each speakers.
Could I use two wires per connector (8 wires per speaker) to gain quality by reducing the resistance?

What do you think? Experiences?
Assuming that I will use wires of the same length.

Have a good day,
Vincent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:50 am 

Braid them like Kimber.

Attachments:
712entry.promo_.jpg
712entry.promo_.jpg [ 49.07 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:03 am 

i dont think you wil notice a great improvement

yes the resistance drop but the capacitance will raise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:18 am 

For kicks I did an experiment with some cheap cable. Probably 16ga. I had no more use for them. Took them, braided them similarly to your scenario (had single wire running to a speaker with single inputs though) and had excess, so I doubled them up, but then I braided them. Made a huge difference on a modest setup. Actually improved the sound. Says something for Kimber Kable. As I've used 4pr in the past, and had great success. Good sound. The lowe ga wires will have less capacitance as well. I'm not sure the sciences behind it. But, it seems like a good idea to braid and use smaller gauge wire than thicker wire, straight through to give you a thicker aggregate wire gauge. Is it that smaller amounts of conductor on their own generate less capacitance than thicker wire on its own?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:19 pm 

Thanks for your answers!
Those answers seem proven but counter intuitive: I was thinking about running + and - cables far away to avoid magnetic fields from interfering.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:44 pm 

therealco wrote:
For kicks I did an experiment with some cheap cable. Probably 16ga. I had no more use for them. Took them, braided them similarly to your scenario (had single wire running to a speaker with single inputs though) and had excess, so I doubled them up, but then I braided them. Made a huge difference on a modest setup. Actually improved the sound. Says something for Kimber Kable. As I've used 4pr in the past, and had great success. Good sound. The lowe ga wires will have less capacitance as well. I'm not sure the sciences behind it. But, it seems like a good idea to braid and use smaller gauge wire than thicker wire, straight through to give you a thicker aggregate wire gauge. Is it that smaller amounts of conductor on their own generate less capacitance than thicker wire on its own?

I am sure it made huge difference, the electrones were certainly dizzy after going through all those curves in braided cable :-)

-- 08 Jun 2017 23:56 --

Doucesti wrote:
Hi dear members,

I just bought b&w dm602 s2 and can bi-wire them.
They are currently single-wired with 14 gauge.
I have 100 feet of 16 gauge wire. I have 4 connectors behind each speakers.
Could I use two wires per connector (8 wires per speaker) to gain quality by reducing the resistance?

What do you think? Experiences?
Assuming that I will use wires of the same length.

Have a good day,
Vincent

Since u asked, from my experience (45 years in building, designing,enjoying audio), bi wireing makes no audible difference and no logical sense. Assuming that your original wire is conductive enough. Bi amping is a whole different animal. To all that think differently, please give me a rational reason why bi-wireing should make any difference, if you wish. He asked for opinion, here is mine.