Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:32 am 

ie_ie wrote:
As i mentioned it had me scratching my head because i loved the violin soooooo much (frequency range about 196 Hz to 10K Hz), but not trumpet (similar range to violin) .

anyhow there is my take on it.

Curious. What speakers are you listening to?

I only ask because my experience was so different to yours. I'm a trumpet player. I listened to Clifford Brown, Jens Lindemann, Gavin Bondy and Maynard Ferguson, and their trumpet playing sounded much better through the GC's? I have a full loom (3 pairs) of GC's in my system. My speakers are Martin Logan Spires.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:13 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
ie_ie wrote:
As i mentioned it had me scratching my head because i loved the violin soooooo much (frequency range about 196 Hz to 10K Hz), but not trumpet (similar range to violin) .

anyhow there is my take on it.

Curious. What speakers are you listening to?

I only ask because my experience was so different to yours. I'm a trumpet player. I listened to Clifford Brown, Jens Lindemann, Gavin Bondy and Maynard Ferguson, and their trumpet playing sounded much better through the GC's? I have a full loom (3 pairs) of GC's in my system. My speakers are Martin Logan Spires.

Cheers,

Reference 3A L'Integrale upgraded by Divergent (Reference 3A) with their new Beryllium tweeter, paper and oil capacitors, and additional structural bracing in 2015.

I play violin...and violin through the GC sounded better for me, go figure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:03 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Apparently Trumpet is one of (if not) the most difficult horn instruments to capture/replay.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:10 am 

Teo Audio wrote:
Apparently Trumpet is one of (if not) the most difficult horn instruments to capture/replay.

i have read often and I believe that it is piano and harp and indeed many have noted how Digital sources do piano rather poorly as opposed to vinyl playback

now back to the subject thread...i did hear the next up pair of TEO cables (at Zetaguser's home, thank you very much it was a pleasure!!)) and thought they were much more to what i am accustomed to hearing...superb transparency, lots of swing factor, articulate voice with appropriate dynamic shading, depth and layering galore as i hear with my present cables in my system...but that appears to me to be a rather large jump in price from $600 to over $2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:15 am 

:D
ie_ie wrote:
Teo Audio wrote:

i have read often and I believe that it is piano and harp and indeed many have noted how Digital sources do piano rather poorly as opposed to vinyl playback

now back to the subject thread...i did hear the next up pair of TEO cables (at Zetaguser's home, thank you very much it was a pleasure!!)) and thought they were much more to what i am accustomed to hearing...superb transparency, lots of swing factor, articulate voice with appropriate dynamic shading, depth and layering galore as i hear with my present cables in my system...but that appears to me to be a rather large jump in price from $600 to over $2000

Do you mind mentioning what ics you are currently using? I've found a new sense of palatability in my system with some Blue Circle filtering. Now the coherence seems so complete I don't want to touch Anything!. I have a friend who has a superb system coming to listen in the next little while. I'll know how he finds it. He is truly a tubeaholic. cheers, Lloyd I should mention I do believe it is not always what is the best cabel but rather what is the best in the context of "each individual system". .Whatever works to do magic so to speak. YMMV

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:27 pm 

I have the reference cable from Teo and before I purchased them I listened intently for a few months and brought different people in to hear their opinions and viewpoints. In the end, the Teo cable was more natural through the whole spectrum. The bass was better than other cables, not just in the impact of the bass but also the space around the instrument being played. It's so hard to describe. Between my tubed power amp and preamp, it made the most change for the better. Instruments were pushed back but with detail. The soundstage was deeper and wider. These Teo designers are on to something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:13 pm 

Just found a cancelled cheque for my original "Entry-Level" Teo Audio cables dated Nov. 22/ 2007. This means I have owned them a month shy of 10 years. Time flies doesn't it? When Ken and Taras brought the first cable set and we hooked it up I got very excited listening to music and asked if they only just brought the one set. Much to my delight they had a second set in their vehicle and soon I had 2 sets in my system. Needless to say, I wrote out a cheque and was enjoying the cables until a few months ago when I upgraded to the Splash Reference Silvers (2 pairs).

Now I am awaiting 2 sets of the newest "Kronon" cables and expect they will be a step or two above the Splash in musical enjoyment.

This means that I can then loan out 2 sets of "Splash" cables to anybody who would like to demo them with their own equipment. Just shoot me an email and I will let you know when they become available. I doubt that I would loan out the "Kronos" cables as they retail for $3,200 usd/meter pair, but local people could possibly drop by for an extended listen with CD's of your choice. Sorry, I have been waiting 5 months for my Jean Nantais Ref. Mark III table so only use CD's in my all-tube system.

Best Regards
Igor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:16 am 

bluenosens wrote:
:D
ie_ie wrote:
Teo Audio wrote:

Do you mind mentioning what ics you are currently using? I've found a new sense of palatability in my system with some Blue Circle filtering. Now the coherence seems so complete I don't want to touch Anything!. I have a friend who has a superb system coming to listen in the next little while. I'll know how he finds it. He is truly a tubeaholic. cheers, Lloyd I should mention I do believe it is not always what is the best cabel but rather what is the best in the context of "each individual system". .Whatever works to do magic so to speak. YMMV

Nordost Odin, Audio Note An-vx, Black Cat Tube Special Edition

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:19 am 

I chatted with Ken and Taras at TAVES, and they mentioned a new cable was in the birthing process, is this the Kronos? Any details Ken??

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:10 am 

I gather from zetaguser's post above that the name of the new cable is "Kronon".

milesian wrote:
I chatted with Ken and Taras at TAVES, and they mentioned a new cable was in the birthing process, is this the Kronos? Any details Ken??

Since the "Kronos" name is in current use as well, denoting a very high-end Canadian turntable, the confusion was perhaps bound to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:39 am 

Toby wrote:
I gather from zetaguser's post above that the name of the new cable is "Kronon".

milesian wrote:

Since the "Kronos" name is in current use as well, denoting a very high-end Canadian turntable, the confusion was perhaps bound to happen.

Funny, not to mention the Agon ad that calls them "Kronon... Probably our best cable"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:31 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

toddc2 wrote:
Toby wrote:

milesian wrote:

Funny, not to mention the Agon ad that calls them "Kronon... Probably our best cable"

It's Kronon, a contraction of the 'chronon', which is a proposed unit of 'quantum' time.

It says 'probably', just because we don't want to appear rude and say 'best --- period'.

That if the other 'best' cable in the world is $21.5kus for a 1.1 meter pair... then...the Kronon (comes in native 1.1M length) should be $21.5kus + $1.

But it isn't.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 am 

Igor was kind enough to let me try the cables
I'm currently using XLO reference -2 interconnects the run between my phono pre, line pre and amp
my system consists of
VPI scout II
ps audio gcph phono stage
audible illusions mod 3a line pre
celeste 4150se amp
tekton pendragon speakers
There was a difference in sound with the teo cables. the main difference was in the bass, it had a notable difference in presence, more defined and controlled. I'm not sure if there was more detail overall sound, but it was a cleaner sound. In the beginning I thought they may have a had a warm sound, but after about 10 hours of listening, I think they were much closer to neutral, maybe even clinical.
It was a great chance to hear a different cable. It's hard to believe cables can influence the sound the way the do.
Thanks Igor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:50 am 

First, a special thank you is in order to fellow CAMmer ZetagUser (Igor) for making two sets of Teo Audio Splash Rs available to audition in my own system. How cool is that?

My current system is as follows:

VPI Classic 3 -> Lyra Delos -> Siltech 770 RCA -> ARC PH6 -> Cardas Clear Light RCA -> ARC Ref2 MkII -> Siltech 550 XLR -> ARC VT100 MkIII -> Siltech 550L -> Magico S1

I decided to approach this audition in three steps. I started by listening to 5 sides of vinyl that I am very familiar with (listed below) with my existing setup. Next I swapped out the Cardas between the phono stage and preamp and listened again. Finally I swapped out the Siltech 550 XLR’s between the preamp and amp. The same five sides were played in the same order.

Note (1) - I had to adjust the volume up slightly to compensate for the gain drop when going from balanced to unbalanced mode.
Note (2) – I didn’t bother swapping out the Siltech 770 from my turntable to phono preamp based on a Teo Audio post that advised against the use of liquid metal cables for phono level signals.

After completing the three rounds of listening, I can make the following generalizations:
1. Replacing the Cardas with a Splash Rs made a clear difference for the better.
2. Going with two sets of Splash Rs sounded about the same as only one pair.

I have these cables for another couple of weeks. I will try to figure out if the second set makes a difference or not.

Here are some of my listening notes:

Nat King Cole – Side 2 of “The Nat King Cole Story” (Analog Productions AAPP 1613-45, pressed 2010)

1. Seems a little slower, laid back on vocals. The notes sustain. Piano sounds richer than with the Cardas cable. Bass is still round and bloated.
2. Soundstage seems larger and warmer. Violins still sound fantastic. Piano still a little thin but clearly better. Vocals are sooo rich
3. Um, the vocals are killer here. Notes are full and visceral.
4. It’s hard to imagine this side sounding any better.
5. Teo clearly sounded better.

James Taylor – Side 1 of “Greatest Hits” (Warner Brothers BS2979, pressed 1976)

1. Lower frequency guitar has much more energy, it’s like something was missing with the other cable.
2. Vocals sound about the same. Soundstage is great (is it better?).
3. OK, this record wasn’t night and day as it sounded great with both cables.
4. Teo gets a slight nod for bringing out acoustic bass notes.

Norah Jones – Side 1 of “Come Away With Me” (Analog Productions APP 042, pressed 2012)

1. Smoother. Vocals still a little harsh as she pushes the upper register. Piano sounds beautiful.
2. The slide guitar sounds as good as the SACD version, very cool.
3. Vocals are ridiculously good so far on this side.
4. Instruments have a little more realistic sound (lots of detail, things like stings scratching on struts).
5. I am surprised the soundstage isn’t bigger or lusher on this side, but it sounds great.
6. Teo gets a clear nod on this side for more detail and cleaner sounding overall. Everything sounds just right.

Steely Dan – Side 1 of “Aja” (ABC Records AA-1006 scribbled out AB stamper, pressed 1977)

1. Everything sounds a little cleaner. This is way better than with the Cardas.
2. Sax is amazing toward the end of “Aja”, the drums are great (maybe could be a little cleaner). Piano is killer. Outer space synthesizers at end…very cool.
3. Clear nod to the Teo on this side for more detail and punch.

Led Zeppelin – Side 1 of “IV” (Atlantic Records SD7208 Pecko Duck, pressed 1971)

1. Amazing clarity on the guitar. Drums are slamming! Wow the guitar solo is incredible.
2. This is rock and roll!
3. This record sounds way louder than it did last night
4. “The Battle Of Evermore” …it’s so clear sounding…OMG I was blown away by this song…mesmerizing…
5. Teo gets another clear win with this side. It’s so dynamic and clear, wow…

Todd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:22 am 

Thanks everybody for posting your thoughts on the two types of Teo cables currently out on loan. Listing your equipment also helps others decide whether they should try out these cables. :D
I am currently running in my Kronons with my DVD player in repeat mode. Want to get at least 100 hours on them before I listen critically, review to follow.

Best Regards
Igor

PS: Please send your enquiries to me via email not pm as I cannot figure out how to reply to pm's.....Thanks