Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: XLO speaker cable
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:45 pm 

"Is the current XLO line of cable use the original technology?"

It appears that they have reverted to ohm's law.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:42 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Shin204 wrote:
I was at a hi-fi shop today browsing for speaker wires and ran into these XLO brand of speakers wire. Unfortunately I have never heard of them before. The sales guy said these are pretty high-end and are comparable to the bigger brands like audio quest and Kimber cable but for me I don't trust salespeople word and less I heard of them. has anyone here have any experience with this brand and if so can you please sure your reviews? I read a lot of reviews on Kimber Kable 8tc. Are the XLO comparable at Kimber cable? Thanks in advance.

XLO is the next level up from Kimber and AudioQuest IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:53 am 
Premium User

cableguy wrote:
Shin204 wrote:
I was at a hi-fi shop today browsing for speaker wires and ran into these XLO brand of speakers wire. Unfortunately I have never heard of them before. The sales guy said these are pretty high-end and are comparable to the bigger brands like audio quest and Kimber cable but for me I don't trust salespeople word and less I heard of them. has anyone here have any experience with this brand and if so can you please sure your reviews? I read a lot of reviews on Kimber Kable 8tc. Are the XLO comparable at Kimber cable? Thanks in advance.

You fall into the trap of thinking of cables as some sort of currency where the Kimber and AudioQuest somehow represent $50.00 bills and the XLO is a $100.00 bill.

Not to mention that there are many cables within each of the brands you mention that are sold for a few dollars to thousands of dollars...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:56 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Voodoo Funk wrote:
cableguy wrote:
Shin204 wrote:

You fall into the trap of thinking of cables as some sort of currency where the Kimber and AudioQuest somehow represent $50.00 bills and the XLO is a $100.00 bill.

Not to mention that there are many cables within each of the brands you mention that are sold for a few dollars to thousands of dollars...

My comment is based on personal experience. I used a lot of the design principles when I started selling my own cables. Before that, I was a dealer of XLO, Kimber, AudioQuest, and 22 other brands.
Not everyone will share the same opinion of course.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:08 am 
Premium User

It is my understanding that something in the neighbourhood of 95% of all wire sold is manufactured by two corporations...Alcatel Alsthom and Noramco.

No manufacturer of audio cables make their own cable...they all buy from outside sources...and then sleeve the cable according to their own requirements.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:16 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Voodoo Funk wrote:
It is my understanding that something in the neighbourhood of 95% of all wire sold is manufactured by two corporations...Alcatel Alsthom and Noramco.

No manufacturer of audio cables make their own cable...they all buy from outside sources...and then sleeve the cable according to their own requirements.

The raw material used in my cable in sourced from Trenton - so I guess I'm in the other 5%.

I'm sure Alacatel and Noramco has so many SKUs to choose from, depending on the specs needed................

I do know that XLO uses solid core conductors of very high purity. To my ear, solid core offers performance that stranded doesn't.
Emphasis on "to my ear" ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:31 am 
Premium User

for those interested, linked below is an amusing story of how XLO Electric got its start...
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... -tezukuri/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 am 
Premium User

cableguy wrote:
I do know that XLO uses solid core conductors of very high purity. To my ear, solid core offers performance that stranded doesn't.

You sold Audioquest and didnt know most of their speaker cables use solid core conductors? How is the XLO a level up and if I order your cables they will be an improvement over AQ?

Last edited by James_W on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:43 am 
Premium User

James_W wrote:
cableguy wrote:

You sold Audioquest and didnt know most of their speaker cables use solid core conductors?

James...not certain how you can conclude that from the information he offered...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:44 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

James_W wrote:
cableguy wrote:

You sold Audioquest and didnt know most of their speaker cables use solid core conductors?

I never said that. However, many people are not aware of that info.

-- Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:45 am --

Voodoo Funk wrote:
James_W wrote:
cableguy wrote:

James...not certain how you can conclude that from the information he offered...

Indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:46 am 
Premium User

Voodoo Funk wrote:
James_W wrote:
cableguy wrote:

Maybe I read it wrong. I assumed he was saying the XLO is a level up from AQ because of the solid core conductors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:49 am 
Premium User

James_W wrote:
Maybe I read it wrong. I assumed he was saying the XLO is a level up from AQ because of the solid core conductors.

Not how I read it...but I would be interested in knowing why cableguy thinks XLO is a level up from Kimber and AQ since each company have a wide range of cables they sell at various price points.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:30 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Voodoo Funk wrote:
James_W wrote:

Not how I read it...but I would be interested in knowing why cableguy thinks XLO is a level up from Kimber and AQ since each company have a wide range of cables they sell at various price points.

At every level/price point, I found that XLO excelled at delivering the proper pace, rhythm, and timing that conveyed the message that the music was supposed to deliver.

I didn't have the opportunity to try XLO's Unlimited - my dealer wallet was not that deep. ;)