Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: XLO speaker cable
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:19 pm 

I was at a hi-fi shop today browsing for speaker wires and ran into these XLO brand of speakers wire. Unfortunately I have never heard of them before. The sales guy said these are pretty high-end and are comparable to the bigger brands like audio quest and Kimber cable but for me I don't trust salespeople word and less I heard of them. has anyone here have any experience with this brand and if so can you please sure your reviews? I read a lot of reviews on Kimber Kable 8tc. Are the XLO comparable at Kimber cable? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: XLO speaker cable
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:31 pm 

As with all brand names, there are many models ranging from entry level to really high-end model. Which model are you referring to? XLO's mid to high-end model are really great product for the money. Just that not too many dealers carry them so it is not a popular brand. It is a shame.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:55 pm 

XLO is a well known company who have been around for a long time. I used to see them in high end shops quite often 10-20 years ago. Still see them here and there today. For a cable company to be in business for that long, perhaps speaks to there sound and build quality. Of course there were a lot more stereo shops around 20 years ago as well. Chinese home theatre in a disposable tin case and big box stores started around then as well. And that was the beginning of the end for most small stereo shops. Seems the mass majority today don't feel the need for to much choice, selection, or even quality, when it comes to their music reproduction equipment, low price being the biggest selling point. But that's another story.

Getting back on topic...
The only way to tell the difference between Kimber and XLO, for example, is to ask the dealer for a demonstration. Kimber makes some nice stuff for sure, with plenty of options. I think XLO may have been around even longer. When Kimber was starting out they were more budget and mid level stuff. Whereas XLO was already long established and were known for mid level to ultra high end cost no object stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:33 am 

If you are looking at XLO then you are looking at the next level in your system.

Wires do make a huge difference provided your system can show the difference.

New wires all sound good. Copper corrodes and copper tarnish does not conduct anything its dead. Its a slowish process and the brain does not remember what your system used to sound like with new untarnished copper.

Silver tarnish is as good a conductor as silver so say experts. Soft silver sounds better than hard silver. Using a solid silver wire of the correct length and gauge depending on your amps out put and length of wire without any crimping or soldering but using direct solid silver wire and careful bending of said wire is the best compromise apparently. Then there is gold and silver wire which is smooth as the finest made in Switzerland chocolate, then there are XLR with copper sheathing that can restrict the high frequencies. ON and On it goes.

Web has lots of sites where you can make your own wire and interconnects and not pay the very large markups and not end up buying an older tarnished whatever that will not carry your signal properly from source to pre to amp to processing to speakers to your ear.

Everything changes the sound. The source ie-a good recording a bad recording, then pre, amp, processing, interconnects, wires, speakers, playback space, SPL, your listening position including distance away and ear height compared to speaker height (think Atmos or think tweeter a bit higher than ear height depending how far away you listen ( I enjoy low SPL at nearfield) and finally your brains ability to hear different frequencies will all add up to 2 decisions.

Do you want to hear what the producer and mastering people and label wants you to hear OR do you want to hear what you think is pleasing; then you are a non stop chef always cooking, baking and adding salt, pepper and spices for many years to come. That is not for me.

Forgot to add interconnects length more the connector (all interconnects use connectors) from optical to xlr to rca etc will also change the sound and apparently silver is best once again. If optical the fiber or glass, the diameter, the connection process and not only the male end but also the female end and how these two intercourse. You should also understand how grounding and ground loops form and how different cable manufacturers hook up their cables wires as ground loops and how a system is connected either drops the noise floor or creates say ultrasonic frequencies not to mention hum. Maybe study more then spend the thousands.

Do it once do it right, keep and enjoy for many years

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:04 am 
Premium User

XLO Electric has been around a long time. They were based in California for many years.
What most people don't know is that it is Canadian-owned now, out of the Toronto area.
Plurison, a well-known and very high end distributor in Montreal handles their sales for North America.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:10 am 

I have always liked XLO interconnects and I have 4 pairs in my current system.

I have no recent experience with their speaker cables, however, I did use a pair of 8`XLO Type 5 cables for a number of years, about 25 yrs. ago. I thought they were excellent, very neutral.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:47 am 

AVguy wrote:
XLO Electric has been around a long time. They were based in California for many years.
What most people don't know is that it is Canadian-owned now, out of the Toronto area.
Plurison, a well-known and very high end distributor in Montreal handles their sales for North America.

Now owned by Ultralink, as stated a Canadian company. Not sure about currently, but for some time production remained in California. Shortly after the merger a new mid-line cable brand was created, Mythos. Not sure if Ultralink is still producing the Mythos line, but there is a CAM member who sells brand new, possibly new old stock, Mythos cables for about 50 cents on the dollar of original MSRP.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:27 pm 
Premium User

good sound wrote:
AVguy wrote:

Now owned by Ultralink, as stated a Canadian company. Not sure about currently, but for some time production remained in California. Shortly after the merger a new mid-line cable brand was created, Mythos. Not sure if Ultralink is still producing the Mythos line, but there is a CAM member who sells brand new, possibly new old stock, Mythos cables for about 50 cents on the dollar of original MSRP.

Nope.
The owner of Ultralink bought XLO, and combined technologies to make Argentum Acoustics cables (Mythos was just the name of the interconnect cables)
Then he sold both Ultralink and Argentum to another company to concentrate on XLO. More changes have occurred since then, but now you're almost up-to-date.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:43 pm 

Yes, Argentum, my bad. Didn't know about the subsequent sale. Is Argentum still active?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:53 pm 

XLO is known to be neutral and revealing where as Cardas is known to be a bit warmer and possibly pleasing until you get to the megabucks stuff which is also neutral.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:07 pm 
Premium User

good sound wrote:
Yes, Argentum, my bad. Didn't know about the subsequent sale. Is Argentum still active?

Active? Yes, and No.

I'll send you a PM.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:11 am 

AVguy wrote:
good sound wrote:
AVguy wrote:

Nope.
The owner of Ultralink bought XLO, and combined technologies to make Argentum Acoustics cables (Mythos was just the name of the interconnect cables)
Then he sold both Ultralink and Argentum to another company to concentrate on XLO. More changes have occurred since then, but now you're almost up-to-date.

Is the current XLO line of cable use the original technology? It seem like they exchanged hands to many times to know which companies are making the cable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:42 am 
Premium User

Quote:

"Is the current XLO line of cable use the original technology? It seem like they exchanged hands to (sic) many times to know which companies are making the cable."

What do you mean by 'too many times'?
It was still XLO when the company was bought and the owner sold-off his other companies to devote himself to XLO. Just because XLO is owned by someone else doesn't mean they changed the way the cable is built.
It appears that the only changes they have made were to drop the cheapest (HT and HTPro) and the most expensive lines (Unlimited and Limited Edition) to concentrate on the most popular lines in the middle. (Ultra Plus, Reference and Signature)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:22 am 

XLO always had the "coolest" looking cables.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:15 pm 

brf wrote:
XLO always had the "coolest" looking cables.

Not too certain about that one... :wink:
Anyways... they're behind the scene!
I just ordered a pair of Signature 3 for my Model Ts.
I picked the "shotgun" style.
XLO seems to come back a little.