Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:23 am 

Although this may be subjective, or related to what you have in your system, do any of these cables have a signature sound? warm, transparent, clinical?
I would be using them for interconnects.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:38 am 

i have used mogami 2534 and 2549 for inteconnects found them neutral and smooth i also used Canare L-4E6S Star Quad very good as well a good match with the Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Last edited by rednecknber on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:50 am 

Been using interconnect cables, digital and analogue, from three of these four manufacturers for a couple of decades. Now mostly use Mogami and Gotham, though I still use Belden speaker and AC cable.

All-time favourites: Mogami 2534 and Gotham GAC-4/1; both use two twisted pairs; both are double-shielded; Mogami uses the traditional foil and braid shield; Gotham uses their proprietary double-braid shield. Both also make a great phono cable.

For digital: Mogami 3173 long-distance digital interconnect cable; but worthwhile comparing to the previous two as analogue interconnect cable; uses 18 AWG twisted pair, again with double shielding.

I use Mogami 2534 and 3173 in lengths up to 30 ft.

Currently experimenting with Gotham's "audiophile" cable: GAC 4/1 UltraPro, but jury's still out.

Anyway, I won't attempt detailed descriptions of how they sound; will just say that I find them as good as, and in many cases better than, audiophile designs that cost up to $500/metre.

I do use Mogami 2534 to make single-ended RCA cables, but that's just for my tuner. Any critical listening evaluations I've done with these cables has been with balanced XLR terminations.

FWIW, I use these cheap pro cables with very high end components, less because I'm trying to save money than because I haven't found anything better.

In my opinion, any listener serious about investigating cable quality—as opposed to acquiring beautiful audio accessories—should have a pair of Mogami 2534 and one of 3173 (or equivalent) as a reference to which all other cable options can be compared.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:55 am 

canare is close but mogami is a bit better

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:16 am 

This is interesting, thanks for posting the subject. Ah yes, cables. I've been interested in trying a compliment of Gotham, that being the GAC SPK2X2.5 13 gauge, and also the GAC-1 premium twin I/C for my tuner. There is also the 2111 that comes recommended for phono cable applications, being light (for suspended decks like mine) and low capacitance. I must say, the prices are sure right. Anyone using the Gotham speaker cables with good success? I've run the Jelco 502 phono cable before, which is Mogami 2534 I believe, but it was too heavy and stiff at the DIN connector to dress properly with my Thorens suspension. I've been in contact very recently with Dyson Audio, who will make up a nice phono cable for me with the Gotham 2111 for a very reasonable outlay.

Last edited by cyrus on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:59 am 

I used Mogami 2534 in balanced configuration for a number of years. I found it to be a neutral cable imparting very little added flavour.
I also like Van Damme XKE microphone cable. I used it as a balanced cable and it is very good. In many ways as good as the Mogami, perhaps a bit quieter. I be hard pressed to tell them apart in a blind test.
As others have pointed out the differences between cables becomes much smaller when used in a balanced configuration.
Of course that doesn't mean there aren't any differences.
Forgot to mention that the Canare 4S11 speaker cable is a good value for money.
Also Blue Jean's cables uses Belden wire for many of their interconnects. I took a chance and purchased a 2.5M pair and I have no complaints. Good value.

Last edited by mahatma1 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:18 pm 

This is awesome guys.
Thanks for honest feedback. Nice, neutral, informative.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 pm 

Belden 1800F with Neutrik connectors for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:02 pm 

I am running Canare Starquad interconnects from my Cdp.
I have also tried Qed Quinex 1 for interconnects.
I am currently running Mogami 3103 speaker cable.
I also run Audio Sensibiliy Impact 2se for TT.
And to top it off i am running Audioquest Red River IC's fro pre to poweramp.
So i have really run the gamut.
Not to mention Transparent IC or a few others.
I find that the application that you use the cable for has alot to do with achieving that synergy so often spoken about.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:32 pm 

I've run Cardas, Straight Wire, Audioquest, Belden, amongst others. I recently purchased Gotham speaker cables and interconnects. They are wonderful sounding to me. Within the context of my system, warm and transparent, good detail. I'm done with cables (seriously this time), the Gothams are here to stay.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:22 am 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
Although this may be subjective, or related to what you have in your system, do any of these cables have a signature sound? warm, transparent, clinical?
I would be using them for interconnects.

No, never has and never will as long as they are used in normal home applications. The exceptions being extremely long runs or very unusual equipment.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 am 

Studio Economik has Mogami cables 20% off this weekend. Their prices are really good generally and include free shipping - CDN dollars too.