Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:15 pm 

Saying all power cord sounds the same is like saying all amplifiers sounds the same......

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 am 

milesian wrote:
Regardless of how expensive power cables sound ( and I think they do sound better than stock) there's no denying the fact they LOOK good in your system. My amp has a huge braided blue snake of a cable from Iceageaudio and it looks fabulous. Let's not ignore visual aesthetics.

The bling aspects of expensive cables are akin to coffee can exhausts, picnic table spoilers and spinning wheel covers that people put on their cars.

Those garden hose cables are just waiting to be tripped over as well and can be a safety hazard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:33 am 

tsobi wrote:
The power cables will not make any difference whatsoever.

In your experience - others have experienced great improvements.

If your system can't benefit from better cables, no worries, listen to what you have. If you have a system that does, awesome baby!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:39 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
prostock1 wrote:
you could try audiosensibility talk to steven

Honestly...I have never really been impressed with any Audio Sensibility cable or power cord I have tried...including the pure silver digital cable.

If it doesn't really sound good then where is the real value?

Nice that he has a 30 day return policy though.

If AS cables did not have the right synergy, what cables were better in your setup?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:26 am 

8) I've gathered a few power cables over the years and have lent them many times to my audio buddies. Especially while I'm gone on vacation. It goes from older VDH cables, to Aural Symphonics, Elrod, Isotek, Stealth, even some X Symphony cabling terminated with Furutech.

Although all my buddies could acknowledge "something" was different, most could not make out a lot of difference between most cables....with one exception. There was one that stood out as different sounding and an improvement in all cases no matter the listening conditions, audio system nor synergy with components.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:51 pm 

Greg_567 wrote:
milesian wrote:
Regardless of how expensive power cables sound ( and I think they do sound better than stock) there's no denying the fact they LOOK good in your system. My amp has a huge braided blue snake of a cable from Iceageaudio and it looks fabulous. Let's not ignore visual aesthetics.

The bling aspects of expensive cables are akin to coffee can exhausts, picnic table spoilers and spinning wheel covers that people put on their cars.

Those garden hose cables are just waiting to be tripped over as well and can be a safety hazard.

+1, on the other hand, some men like jewelry:-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:18 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
Prosoundman wrote:
To Victoria Guy. Your components only 'see' the power cable so power cords are very important. Noise from power lines down the street and indeed within the home is almost inconsequential although a good power conditioner is essential, even with a dedicated line to drop the noise floor to true audiophile performance. It's all about the noise you do not hear as a separate event but nevertheless exists and pollutes the audio signal. This is the type of electronic noise that you didn't know was there until it is removed.

You will never really know how well any component can perform with a COTS power cord. Be aware though that ALL power cords need at least 100 hours before they begin to relax and deliver the goods. They also have their very own sonic signature as well so it is best to experience a well used cord of your preferred brand before you open your wallet. A good power cord can continue to improve beyond 500 hours usage.

Cheers,

Jon

I think it's only fair to add, "In some people's experience."

And why would it be that "your components only 'see' the power cable"?

Surely all EMI and RFI, and all waveform distortion, that accumulates in your house wiring passes into the power cords? Where else would it go?

A shielded cable can reject EMI/RFI that would penetrate a non-shielded cable, but that same shielding has no effect on what's passed into the conductors from the house wiring.

Or am I missing something?

No, u r not missing anything. You r approaching audio from rational non-religious point of view.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:49 pm 

f18inch wrote:
Saying all power cord sounds the same is like saying all amplifiers sounds the same......

Actually, if you don't mind an analogy, do you care what quality (other than it does not leak on your shoes) is the hose at the gas station when you fill your car? It brings "energy" to your engine, so does power cable, as long as it does not impede electron flows, why would it make ANY sound difference?

Now, amps r a little more complex than that, with 1000's parts, yes they affect the sound characteristics of the signal. One great amp designer once said "Ideal amp is a wire with gain", if u know who, please refresh my aging memory.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:37 am 

Even over a few decades ago when first venturing into the world of quality built audio, I heard differences between power cables. It was however sometimes hard to be able to accurately describe in complete detail the differences I heard. I knew there was more resolution in the highs with certain power cables and perhaps better bass with others, but...
It wasn't until I purchased some mono block power amps and later a dual mono pre-amp. That I got the idea to experiment with different power cables on each channel and actually hear the variations immediately in real time. This really allowed me to examine and completely understand in great detail, every minute variation, just by balancing back and forth, left to right, in real time, with no delay to swap wires.

Here's what I recommend, if you want to examine the variations in exhaustive detail. Start with identical power cables on each channel, and play some music or test sounds that sound exactly the same in both channels. Move from the sweet spot around the room and even right up close to each driver. Make careful note of the sound characteristics.

Next change just one cable on a single channel, and repeat the listening process (balancing back and forth left to right if possible). I think you might be just as shocked and amazed as I was. The difference between most power cables is quite astonishing.
This really gives you invaluable insight and perspective for when you eventually swap both cables.
Once you have inserted both new p-cords, listen for a long period of a week or more to your new cables then swap back to the originals. Again you will likely be shocked and amazed.