Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:16 am 

blakcloud wrote:
Audio_Guy wrote:
Gerry, With all apologies to those that sell audio tweaks, I am compelled to directly answer your question by saying that boutique hifi audio cables never have and never will make any real difference, any differences are entirely imaginary.

First what's wrong with imaginary? If I think my power cables poop out fairy dusty like my pink unicorn and I think it sounds different, why should you tell me other wise. You are not certainly doing to this to help me. If you were that concerned about my sound, you would come to my home and tweak my system. Or better yet provided some empirical evidence they don't work. And much like the court of I law, I don't have to prove they do work, since you are challenging this notion, you have to prove to me empirically that they don't work. BTW your opinion is not empirical evidence. Plus your predictions on the future must make you a special clairvoyant. How could you possibly know they "will never make a difference"?

Second just because you can't hear a difference doesn't make it so. Maybe your hearing is not up to snuff when it comes to hi-fi. Lots of crackpots thought the world was flat and we soon learned this wasn't the case.

As the Brits say "That's him told!" :lol:
And true, too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:05 am 

:D Every Oppo I owned from the 980H[still have], the 83SE, the Oppo 90 Nuforce NXE and the Oppo 105, in my limited experience , all responded well to good cables and power cords. But, being digital, I believe they need to be free of vibrations as you may already know. Even vibrapods or Dr Scholl foot rub cubes[no kidding], placed under the units help the units. Everything that touches something does something and sometimes we can hear that....So yes your Oppo will appreciate the better cables. Have fun and enjoy, cheers, lloyd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:26 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Sailordotcom wrote:
would Steven be willing to send me a cable from Toronto to Winnipeg so that i could try?

Shoot me a PM, we are just next door, would be more than happy to send you out something to try :)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:50 am 

" ...would a new power cables make a substantial difference in sound." YES.

Major differences in sound not always for the better. Shunyata great choice to explore those differences.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:00 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
Sailordotcom wrote:
i just purchased a Denon AVR - X7200WA receiver and an Oppo UDP 203, would a new power cables make a substantial difference in sound, picture etc? i was thinking going for the Denon with Shunyata Research Venom HC or the Alpha Analog and for the Oppo Venom 3 or Venom Digital. or could you suggest other power cables brand that would be just as good or better for basically the same price or cheaper. thanks for you inputs.

Gerry

Gerry,

With all apologies to those that sell audio tweaks, I am compelled to directly answer your question by saying that boutique hifi audio cables never have and never will make any real difference, any differences are entirely imaginary.

You obviously have bad hearing and/or a very low resolution system.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:29 am 

Regardless of how expensive power cables sound ( and I think they do sound better than stock) there's no denying the fact they LOOK good in your system. My amp has a huge braided blue snake of a cable from Iceageaudio and it looks fabulous. Let's not ignore visual aesthetics.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:59 pm 

Albert wrote:
August wrote:
experiment and experience is the only way to know...
there are many very good inexpensive power cables one can start with.

connectors are important.....connectors are important!!!!!

hubbell green dot in the wall is one easy cheap experiment. (twentybuckish)
i bought a furutech gtx on recommendations of couple folk who have... (it aint coming out).

AudioSensibility, TFA, Shunyata, Pangea, HarmonicTech 11, Gutwire B12, and many others have modest priced power cables.
perhaps try a cam member made offering....i suspect they will be pleased to be of assistance.

Pre owned are very cost efficient.
it is the first few feet to your gear and to hopefully for your ears to hear.

thanks a million i will certainly consider that

+1 on the Furutech gtx receptacles. They made a bigger difference for me than upgrading power cords. Perhaps I have reached a level of diminishing returns. I have replaced two wall receptacles with Furutech gold gtx along with aluminum receptacle bases and carbon fibre covers. I replaced three receptacles in my Cullen power box with gold and rhodium gtx receptacles and also the five receptacles in my Consonance d-Linear power filter. So that's 10 receptacles all together.

I have only replaced power cords in my Jeff Rowland power amp with Marigo Audio Lab (came with one of my amps) and Black Cat Dragon Warlord power cables for the Ray Lumley tube amps. Not a big difference that I could tell but every tweak is cumulative. Perhaps it would have made a bigger difference with source components.

IC's have also been upgraded to either Audience AU24e or Black Cat cables as has the speaker cables as well to Black Cat Silverheart. I wonder how much more I am paying for the epic names of my cables? Oh well, you never know until you try but I haven't thought about upgrading cables for quite a while now. The last was a pair of Acoustic Zen Hologram II jumpers.

My recommendation would be to change the receptacles to either Furutech GTX-gold or Oyaide R1 first as that made the biggest difference for me, replacing the generic crap that fell apart in my hands when I removed them that were probably installed when they built the house 60 years ago.

-- 02 Mar 2017 22:07 --

bumperdoo wrote:
Sailordotcom wrote:
or could you suggest other power cables brand that would be just as good or better for basically the same price or cheaper. thanks for you inputs.

Gerry - would you be able to run a dedicated circuit back to your electrical panel? I have found that if you are using a shared circuit that also provides power to other *things* in your house, that could result in degradation of sound quality.

I was at a friend's house and as he powered on the amps, the lights dimmed in the room - shared circuit. We talked about running a dedicated circuit for his system to help resolve a definite ground loop hum.

Many recommendations to talk to Steve @ Audio Sensibility - definitely do that, superb guy.

Ok thanks, i am a new to power cables spending a lot of money and find very little difference would not be very justifiable, so i will talk to experts. i do have a power distribution unit, when i purchase my home theater components. but the receptacles sounds like a good alternative to me. I am sure learning a lot here by all your comments. thank you for all your suggestions, totally appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:23 pm 

Prosoundman wrote:
To Victoria Guy. Your components only 'see' the power cable so power cords are very important. Noise from power lines down the street and indeed within the home is almost inconsequential although a good power conditioner is essential, even with a dedicated line to drop the noise floor to true audiophile performance. It's all about the noise you do not hear as a separate event but nevertheless exists and pollutes the audio signal. This is the type of electronic noise that you didn't know was there until it is removed.

You will never really know how well any component can perform with a COTS power cord. Be aware though that ALL power cords need at least 100 hours before they begin to relax and deliver the goods. They also have their very own sonic signature as well so it is best to experience a well used cord of your preferred brand before you open your wallet. A good power cord can continue to improve beyond 500 hours usage.

Cheers,

Jon

I think it's only fair to add, "In some people's experience."

And why would it be that "your components only 'see' the power cable"?

Surely all EMI and RFI, and all waveform distortion, that accumulates in your house wiring passes into the power cords? Where else would it go?

A shielded cable can reject EMI/RFI that would penetrate a non-shielded cable, but that same shielding has no effect on what's passed into the conductors from the house wiring.

Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:34 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:
Sailordotcom wrote:
i just purchased a Denon AVR - X7200WA receiver and an Oppo UDP 203, would a new power cables make a substantial difference in sound, picture etc? i was thinking going for the Denon with Shunyata Research Venom HC or the Alpha Analog and for the Oppo Venom 3 or Venom Digital. or could you suggest other power cables brand that would be just as good or better for basically the same price or cheaper. thanks for you inputs.

Gerry

Gerry,

With all apologies to those that sell audio tweaks, I am compelled to directly answer your question by saying that boutique hifi audio cables never have and never will make any real difference, any differences are entirely imaginary.

Thank you, word of reason at last

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:36 pm 

Bandy wrote:
Thank you, word of reason at last

Sigh... I'd encourage you to try for yourself. Many of us have tried and have found substantial differences using quality cables. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:21 pm 

People just like to listen to what they like to hear, so this kind of discussion is just useless.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:02 pm 

You would NOT "Hear a major difference in sound", however with better cable, you would enjoy music a lot more and remain focus on music instead of having your thoughts drifted towards something else.

Going back to the OP,it is never a good idea, in my opinion, to buy any cables to improve the sound, I mean you have to get used to the sound of your newly acquired system first, know your components, strengths and weaknesses before making any cable purchases, otherwise you would never know the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:12 pm 

The power cables will not make any difference whatsoever.
Save your money and instead buy equipment if you pursue the quality of sound.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:01 pm 

Shunyata power cables are great. I have 4 in my system, including 2 Venom digitals.

I have tried and still have Audioquest, Nordost and Furutech power cables. They are all much better than stock cables, but the Shunyatas are the best of the bunch in my experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:52 pm 

Paying somewhere around 150-250$ is more than enough. You can even get for less.. Dont go crazy with 1k cables..........
I really like takefiveaudio cables, very nice quality and very affordable for what they sell!

honestly stock cable really are junk... they shouldn't be used for audio at all, especially if your powering some hefty power amplifier.. just.. no
ive had lot of bad experience with cheap wiring that i do see value in investing a bit more to get alot more... not just power cable.

i find the point of contact to be most vital ! ie; connectors and termination are very important.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next