Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:15 am
Posts: 749
Location: Brantford, ON, CA
Quote:
I definitely noticed that burn-in was required to align the crystals in my house wiring, after I had some electrical upgrades done.
The microwave and the kitchen radio work better now that the wiring has aged.
LMAO, never heard that one before...haha...heard.

It comes down to proximity, power cables with shielding can help if there is a lot of noise in the area and your equipment is susceptible to noise.

You do not need to spend a lot of money...it is about the shielding and a good connection. YMMV.
Yes shielding can make a difference, but the entire line of cable to the shielded cable is susceptible to noise.

The shielded cable can not "filter" the noise already on the cable...

Regards
Ohms



Very true Ohms...as already mentioned a good conditioner not Pantene can make a noticeable impact.

This was THE last tweak I made...more of a just in case...but I managed to get some at half price $75. Connex...I have dedicated runs directly to the utility box...no more random static or noise.

Cellphones close to your equipment when connected to wifi or Bluetooth generate noise...a good way to test if it works...XLR's are a must too where possible. YMMV


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:39 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6087
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
prostock1 wrote:
you could try audiosensibility talk to steven


Honestly...I have never really been impressed with any Audio Sensibility cable or power cord I have tried...including the pure silver digital cable.

If it doesn't really sound good then where is the real value?

Nice that he has a 30 day return policy though.

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:13 pm
Posts: 6316
Location: Fisher Branch, MB, CA
August wrote:
experiment and experience is the only way to know...
there are many very good inexpensive power cables one can start with.

connectors are important.....connectors are important!!!!!

hubbell green dot in the wall is one easy cheap experiment. (twentybuckish)
i bought a furutech gtx on recommendations of couple folk who have... (it aint coming out).

AudioSensibility, TFA, Shunyata, Pangea, HarmonicTech 11, Gutwire B12, and many others have modest priced power cables.
perhaps try a cam member made offering....i suspect they will be pleased to be of assistance.

Pre owned are very cost efficient.
it is the first few feet to your gear and to hopefully for your ears to hear.



+1 on the Furutech gtx receptacles. They made a bigger difference for me than upgrading power cords. Perhaps I have reached a level of diminishing returns. I have replaced two wall receptacles with Furutech gold gtx along with aluminum receptacle bases and carbon fibre covers. I replaced three receptacles in my Cullen power box with gold and rhodium gtx receptacles and also the five receptacles in my Consonance d-Linear power filter. So that's 10 receptacles all together.

I have only replaced power cords in my Jeff Rowland power amp with Marigo Audio Lab (came with one of my amps) and Black Cat Dragon Warlord power cables for the Ray Lumley tube amps. Not a big difference that I could tell but every tweak is cumulative. Perhaps it would have made a bigger difference with source components.

IC's have also been upgraded to either Audience AU24e or Black Cat cables as has the speaker cables as well to Black Cat Silverheart. I wonder how much more I am paying for the epic names of my cables? Oh well, you never know until you try but I haven't thought about upgrading cables for quite a while now. The last was a pair of Acoustic Zen Hologram II jumpers.

My recommendation would be to change the receptacles to either Furutech GTX-gold or Oyaide R1 first as that made the biggest difference for me, replacing the generic crap that fell apart in my hands when I removed them that were probably installed when they built the house 60 years ago.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:06 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
prostock1 wrote:
you could try audiosensibility talk to steven

would Steven be willing to send me a cable from Toronto to Winnipeg so that i could try?

-- 23 Feb 2017 05:54 --

Albert wrote:
August wrote:
experiment and experience is the only way to know...
there are many very good inexpensive power cables one can start with.

connectors are important.....connectors are important!!!!!

hubbell green dot in the wall is one easy cheap experiment. (twentybuckish)
i bought a furutech gtx on recommendations of couple folk who have... (it aint coming out).

AudioSensibility, TFA, Shunyata, Pangea, HarmonicTech 11, Gutwire B12, and many others have modest priced power cables.
perhaps try a cam member made offering....i suspect they will be pleased to be of assistance.

Pre owned are very cost efficient.
it is the first few feet to your gear and to hopefully for your ears to hear.




+1 on the Furutech gtx receptacles. They made a bigger difference for me than upgrading power cords. Perhaps I have reached a level of diminishing returns. I have replaced two wall receptacles with Furutech gold gtx along with aluminum receptacle bases and carbon fibre covers. I replaced three receptacles in my Cullen power box with gold and rhodium gtx receptacles and also the five receptacles in my Consonance d-Linear power filter. So that's 10 receptacles all together.

I have only replaced power cords in my Jeff Rowland power amp with Marigo Audio Lab (came with one of my amps) and Black Cat Dragon Warlord power cables for the Ray Lumley tube amps. Not a big difference that I could tell but every tweak is cumulative. Perhaps it would have made a bigger difference with source components.

IC's have also been upgraded to either Audience AU24e or Black Cat cables as has the speaker cables as well to Black Cat Silverheart. I wonder how much more I am paying for the epic names of my cables? Oh well, you never know until you try but I haven't thought about upgrading cables for quite a while now. The last was a pair of Acoustic Zen Hologram II jumpers.

My recommendation would be to change the receptacles to either Furutech GTX-gold or Oyaide R1 first as that made the biggest difference for me, replacing the generic crap that fell apart in my hands when I removed them that were probably installed when they built the house 60 years ago.


i will consider that for sure thanks

_________________
Gerry


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:06 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
thanks a lot for all your inputs, i will highly consider the receptacles,

_________________
Gerry


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:18 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Sooke, BC, CA
Sailordotcom wrote:
i just purchased a Denon AVR - X7200WA receiver and an Oppo UDP 203, would a new power cables make a substantial difference in sound, picture etc? i was thinking going for the Denon with Shunyata Research Venom HC or the Alpha Analog and for the Oppo Venom 3 or Venom Digital. or could you suggest other power cables brand that would be just as good or better for basically the same price or cheaper. thanks for you inputs.


Gerry


Gerry,

With all apologies to those that sell audio tweaks, I am compelled to directly answer your question by saying that boutique hifi audio cables never have and never will make any real difference, any differences are entirely imaginary.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 787
Location: Rockwood, ON, CA
Ice Age Audio have great prices and products. No nonsense stuff.

http://www.iceageaudio.com/

Recent review here. http://www.hifizine.com/2017/02/iceage- ... er-cables/

_________________
Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.


Last edited by milesian on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:15 am
Posts: 64
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
Sailordotcom wrote:
or could you suggest other power cables brand that would be just as good or better for basically the same price or cheaper. thanks for you inputs.


Gerry - would you be able to run a dedicated circuit back to your electrical panel? I have found that if you are using a shared circuit that also provides power to other *things* in your house, that could result in degradation of sound quality.

I was at a friend's house and as he powered on the amps, the lights dimmed in the room - shared circuit. We talked about running a dedicated circuit for his system to help resolve a definite ground loop hum.

Many recommendations to talk to Steve @ Audio Sensibility - definitely do that, superb guy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 6:49 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Audio_Guy wrote:
Sailordotcom wrote:
i just purchased a Denon AVR - X7200WA receiver and an Oppo UDP 203, would a new power cables make a substantial difference in sound, picture etc? i was thinking going for the Denon with Shunyata Research Venom HC or the Alpha Analog and for the Oppo Venom 3 or Venom Digital. or could you suggest other power cables brand that would be just as good or better for basically the same price or cheaper. thanks for you inputs.
Gerry


Gerry,
With all apologies to those that sell audio tweaks, I am compelled to directly answer your question by saying that boutique hifi audio cables never have and never will make any real difference, any differences are entirely imaginary.


First what's wrong with imaginary? If I think my power cables poop out fairy dusty like my pink unicorn and I think it sounds different, why should you tell me other wise. You are not certainly doing to this to help me. If you were that concerned about my sound, you would come to my home and tweak my system. Or better yet provided some empirical evidence they don't work. And much like the court of I law, I don't have to prove they do work, since you are challenging this notion, you have to prove to me empirically that they don't work. BTW your opinion is not empirical evidence. Plus your predictions on the future must make you a special clairvoyant. How could you possibly know they "will never make a difference"?

Second just because you can't hear a difference doesn't make it so. Maybe your hearing is not up to snuff when it comes to hi-fi. Lots of crackpots thought the world was flat and we soon learned this wasn't the case.

With all that I have an acquaintance who purchased the Audio Sensibility Statement Power Cord and new receptacle and didn't think it made much a a difference at first. Someone else suggested break-in and this could have been the case. At any rate after a few months of using it, he took it away and changed the receptacle back but what he noticed was the sound had changed, it was different it lost its edge. Again this is a N of 1 but I like the procedure. Use something for x amount of months, take it away and listen. If there isn't a difference it just means that particular chord didn't work for your system , it doesn't prove they don't work across the board. You will know it doesn't work for you and you need to make a decision of your next steps.

In the end you may be 100% correct but that is all conjecture at this point.

I am still on the fence if fancy cords make a difference. I own a few but I purchased them because the look nice and if they add something great. I would like to try the power cord someday, because the only person it should matter to is me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:52 pm
Posts: 3335
Location: Lasalle, ON, CA
Mod Beat wrote:
Power cables are one of the best deals ever. What else can you get that gets better with more use, yet costs less used?

:lol: That's one of your better ones. My son actually asked me why I was laughing. Thanks for that.

_________________
Phil


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:23 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6087
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Audio_Guy wrote:
Gerry,

With all apologies to those that sell audio tweaks, I am compelled to directly answer your question by saying that boutique hifi audio cables never have and never will make any real difference, any differences are entirely imaginary.


Next time you are in Toronto...give me a call...I'd love to demonstrate/prove to you what a ignorant statement that is. 8)

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:15 am
Posts: 64
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Next time you are in Toronto...give me a call...I'd love to demonstrate/prove to you what a ignorant statement that is. 8)


Remember, everyone has a different experience - so I'm not sure it's fair to say one's observation is ignorant, it is just different from yours?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:29 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6087
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
bumperdoo wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
Next time you are in Toronto...give me a call...I'd love to demonstrate/prove to you what a ignorant statement that is. 8)


Remember, everyone has a different experience - so I'm not sure it's fair to say one's observation is ignorant, it is just different from yours?


Well that's why I made the invitation...obviously he has not had anyone demonstrate the clear difference power cords can make...so to make a blanket, know all statement that they don't make a difference is ignorant.

What he could say is that he has never experienced a difference...that would be honest. 8)

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:15 am
Posts: 64
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
Voodoo Funk wrote:
What he could say is that he has never experienced a difference...that would be honest. 8)


Yah, true.

But lets say the person has never heard their system's true potential for a variety of reasons - incorrect speaker placement, room acoustics, standing waves, component mis-matches... whatever. No amount of tweaking power cords will ever get past those fundamentals and that could be a limiting factor?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Power Cables
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:48 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 pm
Posts: 6087
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
bumperdoo wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:
What he could say is that he has never experienced a difference...that would be honest. 8)


Yah, true.

But lets say the person has never heard their system's true potential for a variety of reasons - incorrect speaker placement, room acoustics, standing waves, component mis-matches... whatever. No amount of tweaking power cords will ever get past those fundamentals and that could be a limiting factor?


Not really...we are talking 'difference' not 'perfection'...a $5500.00 CAD PURIST AUDIO DESIGN PURIST L.E. Power cord would make a 'difference' in a poorly set up system...not necessary 'improve' it...though it would be interesting to experience!!! 8)

_________________
I Put A Spell On You!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group