Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post subject: Speaker Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:24 pm 

Is there any day difference between runnning bi-wire speaker cable vs a single run with jumpers?

Post subject: Re: Speaker Cables
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:27 pm 
Premium User

chevyguy wrote:
Is there any day difference between runnning bi-wire speaker cable vs a single run with jumpers?

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:33 pm 

That's like any other cable question: you will get different answers from different people.

I have not noticed any difference with my biwired speakers (Tannoy System 215 DMT II).

It may be that it does make a difference with some speakers and not with others. Crossovers are mysterious things!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:38 pm 
Premium User

dr.joe wrote:
That's like any other cable question: you will get different answers from different people.

I have not noticed any difference with my biwired speakers (Tannoy System 215 DMT II).

It may be that it does make a difference with some speakers and not with others. Crossovers are mysterious things!

The jumpers are the main contributor to a 'difference'...properly made jumpers of pure silver/gold/rhodium is going to sound different from brass or copper.

Only if your system is revealing enough...of course!!! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:44 pm 

Replace the metal jumpers with the same material as your speakers cable, then the answer to your question is, no.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:23 pm 

The theory behind bi-wireing has a certain amount of logic... A woofer can generate electricity, in the same way it uses it. So when a bass note is decaying, the woofer becomes a generator, and the amp has to absorb that power. This is where the concept of an amplifiers damping factor comes from. It's the ratio of the amplifiers output impedance to a nominal 8 ohm speaker impedance.

The idea of bi-wiring is that you don't want that woofer generated voltage driving the tweeter, you want it to be absorbed by the amplifier, so separate wires back to the amp.

So that's the theory, now you have to decide if it's a crock, or if it makes an audible difference! I'm not certain it does, but I know people that swear it helps. Like so much in this hobby, you have try it and listen for yourself!

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:25 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Logic would tell us that two fewer connections in the audio chain could only be a plus. Splitting the signal at the amps output and sendings highs down one leg and lows down another can only improve things as well. IMHO I have tried both and A-B'd both scenarios at length and I definitely preferred the sound of bi-wired speaker cables and yes, both sets of cables and jumpers were 'of one cloth'.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:31 pm 

Made a significant difference with my Tannoy Revolution XT6F. Would not go back to wires and jumpers...However, I would say that these speakers were intended to be driven in this manner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:38 pm 

Day? It's Monday where I am. Yes, different wiring will be inherently different, whether you notice may or may not happen but I think there's a higher probability that you would. It's only wire, it's not going to explode....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:38 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I would hesitate to say "it's only wire". It's the 'wire' that separates the pretty good from the exceptional.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm 

Prosoundman wrote:
I would hesitate to say "it's only wire". It's the 'wire' that separates the pretty good from the exceptional.

J.

Yet it is all "wire", although technically I suppose it's cable. Which wire, well that's a whole other can of worms...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:08 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
The jumpers are the main contributor to a 'difference'...properly made jumpers

Only if your system is revealing enough...of course!!! 8)

+1

If you are going with a single wire cable, I'd say get rid of the stock jumpers and use a piece of wire.
Even romex sounds better than stock jumpers.
Forget expensive connectors on the jumpers, instead coat the exposed ends of the wire
with dielectic grease to prevent the wire from oxidizing.

The lower the impedance of the speaker cable, the less effect bi wiring will have.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:00 am 

In my experience Bi-wiring with some speakers do make a difference. However if you could afford to Bi-Amp, makes more noticeable difference. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 am 

chevyguy wrote:

IMHO, running two sets of cable (same manufacturer) and biwiring the speakers made NO difference in SQ at all.

Running a single run of speaker cable and using either the same cable or better, as jumpers, made a HUGE sonic difference from all sources.

Simply changing jumpers cable, again, made a huge difference in SQ.

I prefer silver coated speaker cable, it works better in my set up.

With speakers cables and interconnects, it is always a good idea to borrow a USED pair from your dealer for a day or two and try it in your system.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:13 pm 

Just curious about this. If you use a copper jumper, even oxygen free copper and then coat the ends or the whole thing with silver solder, does it now become a high quality jumper? Anyone tried this?