Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:03 pm 

ok I have a direct run of 12/2 romex electrical wire running from my electrical panel to my audio designated wall receptacle, ok very basic... now introduce a 300/500$ power cord to power-up my amp???? what sense does that make ??? unless I'm missing something the wire running from my panel to the receptacle is basic 12/2 wire how is a 3 foot 500$ power cable going to improve the sound of my amp???

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:24 pm 

10 yrs on CAM for me.
10 good yrs....
and so many things never change....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:27 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

They make a big difference. But you won't find an answer here, or really anywhere. All you will get is a war underneath your post.

Just try one, and if you like it keep it. If you don't then you will have more money in your pocket for more gear, or some albums, or a nice steak dinner. Or maybe Jays tickets for next year :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:42 pm 

Carlo you could probably get some lps,a steak dinner and some Jays tickets. :lol:
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:48 pm 
Premium User

Try and borrow cables from an audio store (many will allow this if you leave a credit card number). Invite a friend over an have him swap cables while you do a blind comparison.

I think they are worth it to a point but you're just asking for a drawn out argument between the bean counters and the believers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:51 pm 

stugazz wrote:
ok I have a direct run of 12/2 romex electrical wire running from my electrical panel to my audio designated wall receptacle, ok very basic... now introduce a 300/500$ power cord to power-up my amp???? what sense does that make ??? unless I'm missing something the wire running from my panel to the receptacle is basic 12/2 wire how is a 3 foot 500$ power cable going to improve the sound of my amp???

to some extent i do believe but when it all boils down to is that it is all connected the same in majority passing power through a fine piece of wire known as a fuse
Attachment:
fuse.jpg
fuse.jpg [ 2.99 KiB | Viewed 13365 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:52 pm 

Spend what you feel comfortable with,I don't have any stock power cords in my system.
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:58 pm 

anthemman wrote:
Spend what you feel comfortable with,I don't have any stock power cords in my system.
Aaron

to me its like converting mp3 and hoping its going to sound like hi-rez if whats coming out of the wall is standard 12/2 wire then the best one can hope for is to make a cable out of that same 12/2 wire with a good ac connector???

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:01 pm 

Like the poster above said try it,get a dealer or a friend to lend you some different cables to try,cant hurt.
Aaron

-- 28 Oct 2015 03:01 --

Like the poster above said try it,get a dealer or a friend to lend you some different cables to try,cant hurt.
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:08 pm 

stugazz wrote:
anthemman wrote:
Aaron

to me its like converting mp3 and hoping its going to sound like hi-rez if whats coming out of the wall is standard 12/2 wire then the best one can hope for is to make a cable out of that same 12/2 wire with a good ac connector???

The receptical is the middle of the chain, not the end. Since we're doing the analogy thing: Molded stock cables are like eating steak through a straw... Ok, that didn't make sense really. But if you've got your mind made up, that's all good. But you'd be better to listen to one first.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:37 pm 

stugazz wrote:

I find that Shunyata gives the best explanation. The power cord is not the last 6 feet, but the first 6 feet from the point of view of your components. it is well explained in the FAQ and in some videos on their site:

http://www.shunyata.com/support/faqs/293-faq

http://www.shunyata.com/support/videos-gallery/422-dtcd

It's really worth checking out!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:04 pm 

where have you been since 2008 ?....to the OP....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:10 pm 

When I was a young laddy I worked as a rigger, often my company tooks jobs hooking up lighting for music concert in large arena's. As a bonus we were allowed free emission if we wanted...took in many great shows with back stage access. I saw a ton of gear and cabling over the years but never saw brand name power cables ever. Just long heavy gauge generic black cable.

Always wondered why the likes of Cardas, Audioquest, MIT you name it never peddled their wire in that market...lots of money to be made there just not enough audiofools I guess. Afterall I'm certain Mick and the boys could afford a few km of Nordost Odin don't ya think?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:15 pm 

many times it was said, that even studios are using better (OFC, OCC, high purity ) wires now....so i will just say try it for yourself and report back....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:28 pm 

Speedy wrote:
Always wondered why the likes of Cardas, Audioquest, MIT you name it never peddled their wire in that market...lots of money to be made there just not enough audiofools I guess. Afterall I'm certain Mick and the boys could afford a few km of Nordost Odin don't ya think?

It is all business lady. Sure they can afford a few km of Odin, or even the Odin 2, but why do they need that kind of extra expanse to earn the same amount of profit?

I don't think you know the sound system in the show business are all MONO and you don't need to care about sound stage, sound character, imaging etc., but an real audiophile do care about these in their 2-channel stereo system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next