Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:49 pm 

I would like to start by saying that I am not an audiophile. These are my findings. Those of you with a bit more refinement than myself may feel like these are the ramblings of an idiot. That's ok. I just want to share my thoughts on these cables.

I was in Ottawa recently and I picked up a pair of Unity cables from Cableguy, a member of the forums. I was upgrading from Oyaide 18AWG garbage cables so anything was going to be an upgrade.

I am running a TEAC UD301>Marantz PM5005> KEF Q300

These are attractive cables, with both red and black running together in a single, thick sleeved section and splitting off into seperate red and black pre-terminated wires near the ends. They are terminated with what I believe are banana plugs (there's my audio ignorance poking through). I enjoyed this fact, as hooking these cables up was so much easier than running bare wire.

So what do they SOUND like?

Well, I only have experience with these two aforementioned sets of cables with these speakers, so I can't say much. I can say that these sound MUCH better than the cheap-o Oyaide though. Much. Sound is thicker, punchier, has more attractive attack and decay. Vocals are thicker and more pronounced. The sound is less smooth than it was with the other cables, which is good, because it was too smooth before.

Really, these cables are a quantum leap over what I had before. They weren't too expensive either. They retail @ $150 for an 8 foot pair. Totally worth it in my opinion. They're durable too. My friend's toddler threw them against a wall and stepped on them while I was in Ottawa. Hehe.

Since I have not compared these to other similarly priced cables, I can not really say how good they are. All I can say is that these $150 cables are better than the $40 trash I had previously.

Cableguy made what I thought were some outlandish claims about these cables- that they would make my sound more punchy and thick. I thought it was impossible, but these cables delivered on all promises.

I'm happy with them. I guess that's the most important thing.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:19 pm 

mistersprinkles wrote:
They're durable too. My friend's toddler threw them against a wall and stepped on them while I was in Ottawa. Hehe.

When you are breaking in cables it means you are suppose to play them for a long while, not literally try to break them :lol:
It is great when you hear audible differences without spending a fortune. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:56 am 

shanticat wrote:
mistersprinkles wrote:
They're durable too. My friend's toddler threw them against a wall and stepped on them while I was in Ottawa. Hehe.

When you are breaking in cables it means you are suppose to play them for a long while, not literally try to break them :lol:
It is great when you hear audible differences without spending a fortune. Enjoy.

Toddlers throwing the cables against the wall and stepping on them loosens the electrons in the copper and makes for a more natural sound. Throwing cables relaxes them just like getting a back massage does with humans. My friend's son wasn't damaging my cables, he was massaging them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:28 am 

So are these an 18/2 or 18/4 solid core?
Shielded?

Just curious...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:19 pm 

Please direct any technical questions to cableguy. I know how to hook the cables up but the buck stops there. Sorry :)