Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post subject: Granite speaker stands?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:52 pm 

Has anyone considered using granite for their speaker stands? It would be heavier and more solid than most wood or metal stands, and those seem to be the things people are looking for. I've been working in a granite shop for a while now, and i could fabricate customs stands based on specific needs. Just wondering if there would be any interest in this. Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:14 pm 

I would be interested but it depends on the cost. How much would you charge for two slabs 13"x20"?

Black or dark granite

Last edited by aaasen on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:29 pm 

Also 8" X 14" X 4"?

Black/Gray/Speckle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:36 pm 

Slate and Stone speaker stands were all the rage in the UK about 5 years ago when I left. All the Kitchen countertop firms jumped in offering their off cuts - some are still going
http://www.slateage.com/stone-products/hi-fi-furniture/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:55 pm 

The shop rate is around $50 per square for cut and finished pieces. If I wanted to get something serious going, I might be able to work something better out with the owner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:00 pm 

Also magman, I could make something similar to those stands and bases, possibly even the speaker cabinets, though the price would not be cheap, as a lot of work and time goes into fabricating anything out of granite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:26 am 

I use granite stands for my Von Schwiekert's, they are positioned on a wood floor over a crawl space so therefore, they have helped lot with keeping the bass firm and tight. They look good too. I got black pearl granite, a little more then the cheaper slabs but I believe they ended up costing me little over $400 for the two slabs....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:32 am 

I got two slabs of Black Galaxy 20x14 for under my mains for FREE!

My used to mow my neighbours lawn when he was away, come to find out he owned a granite business...He got these for me in the measurments I wanted and the color, delivered and helped place my speakers on them...

They look HOTT....and the base was clearly tightened...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:31 am 

Doesn't anyone just steal tombstones anymore?? ..... probably not ... but if you do it's better to get a matching couple so they are not separated in the afterlife.... The Krantzes formerly of some small town in Sask have been keeping the bass tight on my Celestions for years....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:24 am 

RONALD wrote:
The Krantzes formerly of some small town in Sask ....

Hey, those are my inlaws!!! :shock:

I'm surprised you've put up with them for any length of time as they must be extremely noisy AND prone to falling over on a regular basis!

:wink:

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:40 am 

Shoot, and Krantze owed me 50$ !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:44 am 

RONALD wrote:
Doesn't anyone just steal tombstones anymore?? ..... probably not ... but if you do it's better to get a matching couple so they are not separated in the afterlife.... The Krantzes formerly of some small town in Sask have been keeping the bass tight on my Celestions for years....

Dude, my Old Lady's cracking up!

She's uncomfortable with me using her real name on the interweb (surprise surprise)... :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:43 am 

I have some granite stands approx 6.5 x 8.5 x20 inch tall made from black granite if anyone's interested....and really heavy.... :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:26 pm 

Here is a suggestion, I have used granite, marble & other "samples" as weights on my components. I wrap them in plastic wrap to keep from scratching the top of the case. For light weight components like dvd players or tuners they are a cheap (free) way to keep components in place. Sometimes, the component even sounds better!

Anyway, why not pick up the scrap bits and clean them up & sell them to go on top of or under components? If you sell them for 5 bucks a piece it will be great & your boss won't have to try to get rid of all those little bits.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:11 am 

powerbench wrote:
I have some granite stands approx 6.5 x 8.5 x20 inch tall made from black granite if anyone's interested....and really heavy.... :shock:

Ummm, how heavy?