PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:50 pm 

...........to know.

http://www.thebaj.com/features/hdmi_2005_07.htm

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

Post subject: hdmi
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:28 pm 

OK, I'm confused. I understand the convenience of all signals in one cable, but why would I want to send the high def audio to my television (no matter how good it is)? I still need to separate the audio to send it to my processor or receiver. So, with HDMI I'll need at least one hooked up to my receiver (all current ones now being defunct-again) and another from there to my monitor which, despite being HDMI will now carry only video. Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:04 am 

Correct. The only good use that I see in HDMI (for what HDMI is meant for) would be from your cable/sat box to your rx IF you are doing some video switching in the rx. Otherwise, there is no reason to send video to anywhere else but straight to the monitor and, likewise, the sound straight to the rx. HDMI is useless for pjs (unless you're only intending to use it as a video source). That's why I'm not sure why pj companies are even bothering with HDMI. DVI does the same job (quality wise) as HDMI, yet some pj companies switched from DVI to HDMI. I suppose they are just looking for some commonality with the rest of the theatre gear that's coming out.
Heck as long as it's transferring digital video I suppose....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:47 pm 

HDMI is not a convienence thing. It's sole purpose is audio video copy protection. How it will be implimented with Blu-ray remains to be seen.
Dvi is already a thing of the past and you probably won't see it past the next generation of components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:14 pm 

Another take . . .

HDMI: One Cable to Replace Them All?

http://www.revolutionhometheater.com/howto/hdmi/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:32 pm 

I originally thought that this was agreat idea, untill I found out that when playing SACD or most DVD-A's the output from your player is analog, therefor the all digital cable would be rendered useless...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:08 am 

http://www.purelinkav.com/top5.htm

Advertising link I know but the content it contains is still informative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:08 am 

i have a panasonic 42in plasma and an hdmi dvd player. now sometimes when i watch a movie through the hdmi the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds. this occurance is sporadic but nonetheless i changed the cables twice and even exchanged the player. NO DIFFERENCE. i`m pretty sure its the tv but my warranty is close to running out.

hdmi is not all that it is cracked up to be, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:06 am 

kaptain howdie wrote:
i have a panasonic 42in plasma and an hdmi dvd player. now sometimes when i watch a movie through the hdmi the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds. this occurance is sporadic but nonetheless i changed the cables twice and even exchanged the player. NO DIFFERENCE. i`m pretty sure its the tv but my warranty is close to running out.

hdmi is not all that it is cracked up to be, IMO.

I have a similar problem with my Panny Projector and Panny S97. Dropouts and the screen freezes/goes black when using HDMI. I switch to component and its fine? Does anyone know whats going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:51 am 

Greetings,
The problem you are having is a sync issue with the source and the display. It is actually quite common and some are worse than others.
You could try and change the displays resolution 480p, 720p(if your display does it), and 1080i. If the dvd upsamples try changing that output resolution aswell. This might correct the problem. Also, are you converting from dvi to hdmi or hdmi to dvi? They are supposed to compatable but this is not entirely true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:22 am 

Ozz: thanks for your advice. HDMI to HDMI, no DVI. Yes, my DVDP upsamples, so I will try to change the resolution. I believe the native res of my PJ is 720P so I've also used 720P on my DVDP to match. Is that correct or should I try different combinations to see which works best?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:15 pm 

Ozz wrote:
You could try and change the displays resolution 480p, 720p(if your display does it), and 1080i.

i tried that, still happened. i do notice that this issue is more promentant during low light scenes. oh yeah also forgot to mention about macroblocking with hdmi?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:56 am 

Interesting from CBC Market Place
http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/marketplace ... e_deal.wmv

bernard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:10 am 

I have tried both Component and HDMI and the component wins hands down. Good thing I didn't spend hundreds of dollars from future shop on rip off HDMI cables. Keep things separate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:02 am 

Tommy1,

What equipment are you using? I have used both; they are pretty similar on my equipment (Toshiba A2 HD-DVD and Asus 32" LCD), however, because the digital input lacks colour adjustments, I use the component most of the time.

My new Blu-Ray player has colour adjustments on the machine, so I use it with the digital connection (HDMI>DVI) and it looks spectacular.

I understand it depends on the quality of the player's output and the quality of the TV's scaler for the input (sometimes a set will have better analog scaling than digital scaling or vice-versa). In a perfect world, I believe that HDMI should have advantages (fewer A/D conversions) but this is not a perfect world, where even the best equipment can have shortcomings of one type or another, and specs are changing by the month.