Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post subject: power cords
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:06 pm 

I have no doubt in my mind that interconnect and speaker cables can affect the sound quality.
I do have a question about power cords.
I can see how one needs high current capacity and good shielding...but beyond that I can't understand how other qualities of a power cord could affect the sound. I would think that any noise in the power lines would be eliminated by an amp's power supply, the smoothing capacitors being low pass only would cut those out....so could someone explain what the improvements are from?

Post subject: Re: power cords
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:31 pm 

I can’t say one thing power cords can improve the sound I dond try to find how end.way but I trie cardas golden ref audioquest Nrg5 the sound was totally different a lot better from the stock power cord dis is my experience I cannot get to technical end to be honest I dond care I’m hear to listen to the music u have to try I don ged to the argument with nombary dis is my true opinion

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:51 pm 

+1

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:35 pm 

plguy wrote:
I have no doubt in my mind that interconnect and speaker cables can affect the sound quality.
I do have a question about power cords.
I can see how one needs high current capacity and good shielding...but beyond that I can't understand how other qualities of a power cord could affect the sound. I would think that any noise in the power lines would be eliminated by an amp's power supply, the smoothing capacitors being low pass only would cut those out....so could someone explain what the improvements are from?

I'll just say that high end gear has good power supplies so a cord won't make any difference and mid-fi probably isn't able to resolve any difference ... :D

Attachments:
Popcorn.gif
Popcorn.gif [ 273.06 KiB | Viewed 1132 times ]

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:53 pm 

+ 1

Had a 2 PS Audio 'Statement' and then I switched to Cardas 'Cross.' It was quite apparent, to me, the Cardas crushed the PS Audio to death.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:39 pm 

Tom did u ever try power cords? Try is your ears will tell you u will find differences

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:07 pm 

plguy wrote:
Power cords...could someone explain what the improvements are from?
I'll try... but I won't enter deep in details though.
It's all about phase.

There's power sector noise. There's power supply noise. There's ripple noise. There's load noise. There's load ripple noise. There's EMI. There's RFI.

All those noises are everywhere in the amp (let's say it's an amp), at +/- different level, degree and phase.
When the phases are 180 degree off, this amplifies further the noise(s).

Saying that smoothing capacitors are low pass is unfortunately not true.

Play a song with your system, then press 'pause' button.
Use an hair dryer on the same AC line of your power amp. You will hear some new noise.
Then, the noise passes trough those 'smoothing' caps.

Better power cords act like a filter... at some degree... but there's no way at all to perfect filter the noise out of electricity.
Then some do a better job than others.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:03 am 

blackmetal1 wrote:
I can’t say one thing power cords can improve the sound I dond try to find how end.way but I trie cardas golden ref audioquest Nrg5 the sound was totally different a lot better from the stock power cord dis is my experience I cannot get to technical end to be honest I dond care I’m hear to listen to the music u have to try I don ged to the argument with nombary dis is my true opinion

What???

-- 14 May 2018 08:06 --

plguy wrote:
I can see how one needs high current capacity and good shielding...but beyond that I can't understand how other qualities of a power cord could affect the sound.

They don't. As long as you have those things, you are good. Also, I really don't understand why people boast "rhodium plated" this and "rhodium plated" that .. when rhodium isn't even a good conductor. Stick with copper.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:02 am 

Rhodium plating is generally used as an over-plate on silver, as it is tarnish-free.

Although it is not a particularly good conductor (versus silver, gold, copper) the plating thickness is very low, making the electron "path" relatively open to conduction. Plus the mating contact area on an AC socket / receptacle is quite large.

Let's say for the sake of argument you have two metals, one is rated 50 IACS and the other 100 IACS. For an equal current carrying capacity, the lower conductivity metal would have to have a contact area twice that of the higher. That is the only limitation to consider with regard to simple conductivity.

An AC connector easily meets this requirement.

There is another aspect (because you suggest bare copper) that we may as well call "complex conductivity" (my term, I just made it up, but it will work well enough).

Interplating of different metals might introduce conductivity issues because of various metallurgical qualities. In short some metals work better with others when adjacent (overplated). The jury is still out as to whether this is an issue with interconnections in general. In theory it might be but in practice there is less evidence to support audible effects. None the less, there are those who follow the idea that it does. In that case they would advocate for using only identical metals and no overplating.

Where doubt arises is when we look at actual uses in electronics. The most common high-quality PCB metal configuration is ENIG, aka Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold, which is overplated on copper traces. Then there is the solder (tin, maybe silver, maybe lead, maybe copper, maybe gold). There is a chemical reaction during the soldering process that alters the ratios of nickel and gold in the joint, but as this is an extremely common electronic fastening / conduction method, and it's unlikely that a circuit will only pass through a few such connections, this seems to support the theory that it's not particularly relevant.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:45 am 

a few months ago i had opportunity to try several power cords with my Shanling ccdt100.

- Crystal Cable Piccolo (6ish)...
- Siltech (9ish)
- Shunyata Venom (4ish)
- Zavfino Majestic (3ish)
- Wireworld Electra (3ish)
- TFA Asylum (1ish)

Each presents a different character, although several are similar.
Crystal had the most noticeable difference.
There is no absolute winner, all do their job well.
.... one needs to try a few to
.........hear the gear in your ear.

the terminations are as significant as the wire between (imo).
and definitely get at least a spec grade or green dot in the wall.
my experiences with improving the AC path have been rewarded.
of that, there is no doubt.