Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:49 pm 

Don't under estimate Linn speaker cable I've used the Linn K400 (bi-wire) for years. I never felt that it was a limiting factor.
The Linn speaker cable is not exotic in anyway but is well put together (I use mine with Deltron plugs) and a relatively neutral sound.
Fair value for the money.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:04 pm 

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for all your input & first person user experiences. To let you know how serious I am in finding the "right" cable for me I'm making a spreadsheet of all your recommendations for Speaker, IC, Power...and even fuses! What equipment they're being used with and how many people recommended it. This will be the basis for the start of my cable selection.

Keep the suggestions coming.

With gratitude,

Shawn

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:45 pm 

I think your cable budget is a bit high relative to the rest of your system. Stick to upgrading the I/Cs and speaker cable for now - combined it should fit into $700. No bi wire for speaker cable - better one good run then 2 inferior ones.
Do you have a decent stand for your components? If not a nice quadraspire rack would pay dividends.
As far as cables go, an opportunistic purchase is probably the way to go - there are some Straight Wire brand speaker wires being "blown out" by former distributor (Plurison) - professionally terminated - an option worth investigating.
Chord is very good for interconnects - check ebay.
And then maybe there'll be some money left for a dac upgrade!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:06 pm 

If you decide on the van den Huls, someone posted a few for sale earlier today. You may have already taken notice. There are also a couple in a bulk listing of cables. I'm not affiliated with any of the sellers.

Last edited by FLACfan on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:58 pm 

hollinger wrote:
I think your cable budget is a bit high relative to the rest of your system. Stick to upgrading the I/Cs and speaker cable for now - combined it should fit into $700. No bi wire for speaker cable - better one good run then 2 inferior ones.
Do you have a decent stand for your components? If not a nice quadraspire rack would pay dividends.
As far as cables go, an opportunistic purchase is probably the way to go - there are some Straight Wire brand speaker wires being "blown out" by former distributor (Plurison) - professionally terminated - an option worth investigating.
Chord is very good for interconnects - check ebay.
And then maybe there'll be some money left for a dac upgrade!

Attached is a pic of the system in it's place as it sits today. Not perfect but it's a good compromise given WAF, springy floors, wood construction and neighbours above and below. It's never played loud

Cable budget is what it is and the high end is contingent on something I hear that is worthy. DAC may actually happen before cables - the MP D2 has piqued my interest. I'm hedging a bit on which way to go here as I haven't heard MQA yet but I understand that Roon is about to offer MQA via it's software so it may not be hardware dependent any longer and may open up the field to MQA for those of us that are Tidal users and don't have an MQA enabled device.

Phono stage will change down the line but am in a holding pattern until Robert @ Lounge Audio gets his next creation ready. Not too far away from what he's told me.

Attachments:
file.jpg
file.jpg [ 268.45 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:47 am 

+1

NordicNorm wrote:
for $700, I would highly recommend auditioning Teo Audio Game Changer IC's.

Teo Audio offers a very generous money back guaranteed time period, so all you have to lose is the cost of postage.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:49 am 

[quote="FLACfan"]Thanks for all the info David. We should form an Exposure users' group, like they have for British cars.

I agree. Enthusiast groups are a terrific way to gain in depth knowledge on something you're interested in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:01 am 

I've been using the Exposure 2010s Int. and 2010s Amp for 12 years. I've had good luck using Naim Naca5 speaker cables as well as Cardas and XLO ic's. I also have a set of XLO speaker cables which I switch out with the Naims. I originally Bi-Amped but I now run two sets of speakers. The 2010s is very reliable and I've only burned out one light on the Volume Control.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:34 am 

Well the next part of the puzzle has come together. Have a pair of Audio Sensibility Testament speaker cables on their way to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:40 am 

Great choice Shawn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:57 am 

I think so. Seems to be a well respected company with good understandable science behind it. They're previously enjoyed so it won't be painful on the pocket if they don't work out. From what I've read they work well with an assortment of different amp/speaker combos.

They come with spades so will have to change one end to bananas as that's all the Exposure will accept. I'm wondering if anyone has tried adding binding posts to their 2010? Have to look into it one day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:26 am 

I used Atlas Hyper 2.0 Speaker cable and Atlas Equator IC's as cabling with my Exposure 2010S and it sounded great.
Van den hul CS-122 sounded slow and some Wireworld Solstice that I tried out sounded digital.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:11 pm 

Consider asking Steve Huang to do the retermination for you.

shawnwes wrote:
They come with spades so will have to change one end to bananas as that's all the Exposure will accept.

He will do the best possible job ; OTOH you will have to wait to hear the cables. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:38 pm 

+1 I’ve asked Steve to reterminate a pair of AS cables in the past, he was more than happy to oblige. But I ended up going a different route so retermination was not needed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:25 am 

I've decided to first give the Audio Sensibility Impact interconnects a go given their generous 30 day trial and amazing price point.

Has anyone compared their Impacts vs Statement cables? Is the difference between them the more advanced insulation properties?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next