Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 pm 

Audiois1st wrote:
I bought a Space-Tech Lab. VP-102-BAL tube amplifier a couple of months ago and the manual that was provided clearly stated that a performance increase of 20-30% would be realized when using the "true balanced input stage."

My question: Is this a realistic increase in performance just by using XLR Balanced cables?

I have a fully balanced system and to me that claim is complete and utter nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:36 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Quadzilla wrote:
VERY Condensed Translation: "Teo can't make balanced cables." :roll:

Our balanced cables function in a fundamentally different manner than any other, I'll have you know. When a signal is injected into a point in wire, it is fundamentally shared across the entire wire length of the given strand, at once... longitudinal waves, it is. Not quite that, but.... a more simple explanation.

In wire, or solid materials that are electrically conductive, the signal rises and lowers on the entire length at once, so any perturbations in physical geometry affect the entire length of the run. No one can make a run of perfect geometry. Thus impedance and interfere issues, from the one aspect alone. With a fluid conductor, it is different. Likened to plasma behavior in the critical transient domain. local geometry issues and local signal integration issues (positive copy and negative copy) are dealt with locally. It is utterly unique in how it works. Liquid metal on one side..... all wire, hybrid (carbon fiber, etc- eg, all solids) or not, on the other side.

As for the insults.... what's up with that?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:34 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
It is important to understand that every bit of electrical transmission of signal, in every way, adds phase or time slurring and distortions of the transient functions (complex impedance of physical objects, ie wire, traces, capacitors, resistors, solders, transistors, etc)..and the best we can do, in minimizing those distortions, is to end up with a slightly, imperceptibly slower and darker version of the original. Almost exactly like about 1/2 to 1/4 of the losses encountered in a master tape transfer.

Denis Morecroft of DNM and I agree with you.

As a long term CAM member, I am sad to see Quadzilla's somewhat puerile response to your well thought out addition to an interesting conversation.