Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:23 pm 

Congrats on the new laptop purchase. What media software you running…or plan to run?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:31 pm 

milesian wrote:
+1 for Murfee. Buy a CD and download it in flac. Of course if I had no scruples I would suggest your local library CD collection and a piece of ripping software, but of course that would send you straight to hell.

You technically paid a portion for your local library's CD collection with your annual city taxes, no?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:57 pm 

ej251awd wrote:
milesian wrote:
+1 for Murfee. Buy a CD and download it in flac. Of course if I had no scruples I would suggest your local library CD collection and a piece of ripping software, but of course that would send you straight to hell.

You technically paid a portion for your local library's CD collection with your annual city taxes, no?

No you borrow a book you don't get to keep it.. same applies to music.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:59 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Congrats on the new laptop purchase. What media software you running…or plan to run?

Will figure that out over the long weekend hopefully. Apparently Cambridge Audio offers a plugin to allow Windows to stream at 192 Mhz. Otherwise its 96 Mhz unless using a Mac as their native sound is configured to 192. For the limited use I couldn't justify a Mac, or rather my wife couldn't :oops:

In the meantime really enjoying Tidal :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:18 pm 

If your DAC supports 192Mhz then the manufacture should offer a Windows driver. Is this what you are referring to? If you own a Cambridge DAC, use a Cambridge driver – A TEAC DAC use a TEAC driver…etc.

There is much debate over installing audio drivers as in the case of Windows vs pre-installed drivers on a Mac. One is certainly easier but forces hardware manufactures to oblige by their guidelines. The other offers more freedom for development. TBH…outside the time it takes to download and install a driver they are no different.

Lots of media players out there. Foobar is free and very customizable. Here’s a good “how to” guide if interested.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/di ... r-dummies/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:51 am 

wcoombs wrote:
ej251awd wrote:
milesian wrote:

No you borrow a book you don't get to keep it.. same applies to music.

Public-funded libraries have photo copy machines that allows you to make a copy of ANY books or articles that have similar copyrights as other forms of media.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:17 am 

[/quoteej251awd]

Public-funded libraries have photo copy machines that allows you to make a copy of ANY books or articles that have similar copyrights as other forms of media.[/quote]

A bit off topic here.
Incidentally, just about to get a new EJ257T. Trading in FA20T. Good chance you know what I am referring to.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:33 am 

Didn't see AllFlac.com mentioned
but Bandcamp is my favorite since it guarantees payment to the artists and features some exceptional Canadian musicians.
Looking through the collections of other Bandcamp users and being able to sample everything first
is almost as fun as the old Napster.
I avoid iTunes and Amazon
but eBay is a good source for commercial CDs you might not find on a digital file source.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:41 am 

Bandcamp is the only site I don't feel dirty purchasing from.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:02 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
If your DAC supports 192Mhz then the manufacture should offer a Windows driver. Is this what you are referring
MHz DAC driver).to? If you own a Cambridge DAC, use a Cambridge driver – A TEAC DAC use MHz files anyway. a TEAC driver…etc.

There is much debate over installing audio drivers as in the case of Windows vs pre-installed drivers on a Mac. One is certainly easier but forces hardware manufactures to oblige by the MHzir guidelines. The other offers more freedom for development. TBH…outside the time it takes to download and install a driver they are no different.

Lots of media players out there. Foobar is free and very customizable. Here’s a good “how to” guide if interested.

Thanks you for the recommendation. Looks like a lot of potential tweaking to install plugins and configure settings afterward.

I was hoping to find a simple plug and play solution that doesn't change the sound in any way and handles the highest resolution possible (after installing the Cambridge DAC driver).
I must hold off on the driver install as the mfg warns that one must email the S/N to determine compatibility depending on production date. So it will be Monday earliest I can even play 192 MHz files.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:31 pm 

racecars wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
If your DAC supports 192Mhz then the manufacture should offer a Windows driver. Is this what you are referring
MHz DAC driver).to? If you own a Cambridge DAC, use a Cambridge driver – A TEAC DAC use MHz files anyway. a TEAC driver…etc.

There is much debate over installing audio drivers as in the case of Windows vs pre-installed drivers on a Mac. One is certainly easier but forces hardware manufactures to oblige by the MHzir guidelines. The other offers more freedom for development. TBH…outside the time it takes to download and install a driver they are no different.

Thanks you for the recommendation. Looks like a lot of potential tweaking to install plugins and configure settings afterward.

I was hoping to find a simple plug and play solution that doesn't change the sound in any way and handles the highest resolution possible (after installing the Cambridge DAC driver).
I must hold off on the driver install as the mfg warns that one must email the S/N to determine compatibility depending on production date. So it will be Monday earliest I can even play 192 MHz files.

Seems that setup guide has added further tweaks. Not really necessary for high res playback. If you are interested, PM me and I can provide a simpler setup – it is not difficult at all. I suggested Foobar because it comes with the high cost of FREE! There are certainly other media players out but they may come at a cost. JRiver does offer a trial, but after 30days it’s $50 US to continue using. It also involves a bit of setup, again not difficult to perform. Can’t think of any others that offer what Foobar does for free. Perhaps others can chime in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:36 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
racecars wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Seems that setup guide has added further tweaks. Not really necessary for high res playback. If you are interested, PM me and I can provide a simpler setup – it is not difficult at all. I suggested Foobar because it comes with the high cost of FREE! There are certainly other media players out but they may come at a cost. JRiver does offer a trial, but after 30days it’s $50 US to continue using. It also involves a bit of setup, again not difficult to perform. Can’t think of any others that offer what Foobar does for free. Perhaps others can chime in.

Thanks, I'm good. Just have to open the laptop in front of the desktop and go thru the setup finesse.