Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:31 am 

I have two of these, one at work, one at home in my den.

https://www.amazon.ca/FiiO-Olympus-Head ... B00LP3AMC2

Doubles as a headphone amp and DAC and uses USB. Has a convent line out.
For the cost you can't beat it. I tried to stream from Itunes via Apple TV to my amp.
Problem is my amp does not have a digital input, so would use my TV as my DAC - brutal!
Since laptop is next to stereo/TV, i just got another Fiio and ran a short length of 3.5mm to RCA cable to amp.

The result is amazing!
This may be a great interim solution until you figure out another plan. And you can always use it down the road as handy USB headphone amp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:49 am 

My CD player has an optical output, so if would be helpful to have a Toslink input as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:09 pm 

Oh I see, yeah you want to run both digital sources into the DAC since you only have one spare line input.
Maybe a Micromega MyDac or Cambridge Dacmagic? Both should do optical and USB.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:37 pm 

stickers11 wrote:
Oh I see, yeah you want to run both digital sources into the DAC since you only have one spare line input.
Maybe a Micromega MyDac or Cambridge Dacmagic? Both should do optical and USB.

Good suggestions, definitely getting warmer.

The Cambridge unit could work and allows an extra input to split the last available input on my preamp.

The question is, will the sound be up to par? Having recently acquired a set of Totem Hawks I am really enjoying critical listening and will try not to jump before knowing it will fit my expectations.

Otherwise, I wouldn't even bother with uncompressed files and would just stream audio thru my phone plugged into my preamp. I want my CDs to sound even better if possible too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:31 pm 

This is a good thread. I'm not expert in digital files.
My CDs have all been ripped to lossless of some sort, and the rest of the time I go between internet stations (192K) and vinyl.

All I know is most laptops (not Apple, have to admit it) have brutal sound quality out of headphone jack. So if going to hook one up directly to a good rig, do the USB DAC thing. Or, get a Macbook/Ipad and an Airport Express - but that again will not address your input issues.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:30 pm 

Hi there,

If you are willing to go the used equipment route I have a Bel Canto DAC 3 VBS (external Power supply) that I had connected directly to my Krell FPB300. I have a Parasound P5 in between now but I have to admit the Bel Canto did a fine job on its own as well. I use a Moon Mind180 streamer through AES/EBU as the digital input but it also has all the other digital inputs as well, not to mention balanced outputs if your amp can take them.

I think I have seen the Bel Canto DAC3, internal power supply version, in the $800-900 rage.

Could be something to look into.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:19 pm 

Maybe Furutech/ADL GT40? https://www.whathifi.com/furutech/adl-gt40/review

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:36 am 

Keep us updated on what path you end up choosing. Would like to hear which creative solution you ended up going with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:13 am 

Che Cavolo wrote:

Good choice if you need an MM/MC phono stage included.

-- 29 Sep 2017 15:20 --

Wife is being difficult so I'm going to wait a bit while I get my computer and phone up to date with streaming again.

There is a definite learning curve here to do things right.

Also, I realized in the interim I can plug my phone into the tape monitor input on the preamp, so I have in fact found an extra input. Granted Spotify streaming sound quality is not great but it's an alternative to sitting in front of my desktop.

Probably end up with a DAC and just use a USB key or external hard drive until I have a laptop.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:37 am 

Look for a Teac UD-501. They can be found for $500 - $600 used, and would have all the inputs you are looking for.