Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
These guys overall are fairly new on the scene but receiving a really warm welcome.

Please post your impressions if you've had the opportunity to listen!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:14 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Barrie, ON, CA
Looks interesting, wonder what it sounds like ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:37 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
I have a Terminator on the way.
Gotta have it!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:24 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
Posts: 3644
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
misteraudio wrote:
I have a Terminator on the way.
Gotta have it!

Please report back when it comes.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
misteraudio wrote:
I have a Terminator on the way.
Gotta have it!


Yes, please....report back!!

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:17 pm
Posts: 262
Location: Chilliwack, BC, CA
I would like to hear more comparisons between Pontus, Venus, and Terminator
They are priced around $2000 CAD, $3500 CAD, and $5400 CAD...just like to know how each performs for the dollar value


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:37 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
James_W wrote:
misteraudio wrote:
I have a Terminator on the way.
Gotta have it!

Please report back when it comes.



I'll be back.

Hasta la vista, baby!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 815
Location: Rockwood, ON, CA
Arnold is tough, but Chuck Norris converts digital to analog in his head.

_________________
Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:37 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
milesian wrote:
Arnold is tough, but Chuck Norris converts digital to analog in his head.



What about Bruce Lee?


Last edited by misteraudio on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:13 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:44 am
Posts: 33
Location: Markham, ON, CA
I'm very curious of the sonics between the Pontus, Venus and Terminator myself.

Torq reviewed an Ares over at SBAF. He's holding back his thoughts on the Pontus until the other members on the tour get a chance to hear it.

I'm in the market for a DAC but I still have no idea which one to get.

One of the Denafrips (free shipping)
Border Patrol DAC SE (redbook only)
L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004

The Holo Springs DAC Level 3 "Kitsune Tuned Edition" caught my eye but at the price the Venus says "hey, over here!"

I believe I'll have to use the Uptone ISO Regen w/LPS-1 with these. Might be able to get away without it with the Denafrips but the LKS uses a secondary winding from one of it's transformers to provide power to the USB>IS2 converter and it's hard to believe that the noise generated from USB will not find it's way back into the DAC on this implementation. I guess a Singxer SU-1 feeding IS2 to the LKS would do the trick but I feel more comfortable putting my money into an ISO Regen.

The Elac Discovery Q has really piqued my interest and being a streamer! Borrowed a Discovery from our store and was impressed with it's sq and Roon was a treat to use! At most the Discovery Q will need a couple of TP-Link MC200CM Gigabit Media Converters to keep it isolated from noise (need to power the receiver end with a good LPS though, iFi iPower would do)

Or....just wait for Chord to update their 2Qute to Hugo 2 form....the DAC dilemma


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm
Posts: 348
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
You should start a new thread not to detract too much from this one which I hopes stays on track of Denafrips.

Suggestions and such could be better tailored.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:37 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
natemact wrote:
I'm very curious of the sonics between the Pontus, Venus and Terminator myself.

Torq reviewed an Ares over at SBAF. He's holding back his thoughts on the Pontus until the other members on the tour get a chance to hear it.

I'm in the market for a DAC but I still have no idea which one to get.

One of the Denafrips (free shipping)
Border Patrol DAC SE (redbook only)
L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004

The Holo Springs DAC Level 3 "Kitsune Tuned Edition" caught my eye but at the price the Venus says "hey, over here!"

I believe I'll have to use the Uptone ISO Regen w/LPS-1 with these. Might be able to get away without it with the Denafrips but the LKS uses a secondary winding from one of it's transformers to provide power to the USB>IS2 converter and it's hard to believe that the noise generated from USB will not find it's way back into the DAC on this implementation. I guess a Singxer SU-1 feeding IS2 to the LKS would do the trick but I feel more comfortable putting my money into an ISO Regen.

The Elac Discovery Q has really piqued my interest and being a streamer! Borrowed a Discovery from our store and was impressed with it's sq and Roon was a treat to use! At most the Discovery Q will need a couple of TP-Link MC200CM Gigabit Media Converters to keep it isolated from noise (need to power the receiver end with a good LPS though, iFi iPower would do)

Or....just wait for Chord to update their 2Qute to Hugo 2 form....the DAC dilemma



AFAIK, Pontus is the sweet spot for the range, whereas Ares is a great entry level R2R DAC which betters many established brand many times its' price.

If you can afford Venus, stretch a bit and go for the ultimate "The Terminator". It has been compared with many "cost-no-object" DACs. The Terminator is upgradable when new technology is available so it will not be obsolete.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:17 pm 
Offline
Dealer/Sponsor

Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Vaughan, ON, CA
I hear ya both!

_________________
Update TV & Stereo


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:37 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
The Denafrips "Terminator" is in the house.....
Oh! What a DAC.
Fit and Finish is First class. Weights more than my power amp.
Out of box, it sounded very promising....(my audio life is going to be good after this..)

I will reserve further comment on sonics after a few days of running in.


Attachments:
20170829_151422 (1).jpg
20170829_151422 (1).jpg [ 336.69 KiB | Viewed 2268 times ]
20170829_151322.jpg
20170829_151322.jpg [ 304.39 KiB | Viewed 2268 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Denafrips DACs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:10 pm
Posts: 43
Location: mtl, QC, CA
Is it capable of DSD 512?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group